Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Difference between logout from Gnome and Telnet Post 302151692 by usureshb on Monday 17th of December 2007 02:11:21 AM
Old 12-17-2007
Difference between logout from Gnome and Telnet

Hi,
I have a java process started as a background job from Gnome Shell and logs out, that process is killed whereas when I started the same process from a telnet console and then logs out of the telnet session, that process is running properly. Can some one guide me with whats actually happening in both these scenarios. Introducing a nohup while starting the backup processes, it was working fine in both the cases.

Thanks,
Suresh

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

KDE & Gnome, wat is the difference?

i have been reading some atticles but i still do not understand the diferrence btw KDE & Gnome. Someone once told me he prefers Gnome to KDE 'coz of it's audio support & Redhat says ver 7.3 has KDE 3.0 & Gnome 1.4. So could someone explain? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: da_gee
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Webpage to Telnet via Perl and Expect: Telnet problem?

Somewhat long story: I have a simple Perl CGI script that uses Expect to Telnet to a device and grab some data, and then spits it back to Perl for display on the Webpage. This works for many devices I've tried, but one device just fails, it keeps rejecting the password on this device, only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jondo
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

difference between logging into unix through f-secure ssh client and telnet

hi, what is the difference between logging into unix through f-secure ssh client and telnet is there any more security check is involved can any one explain thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Telnet from shell script , further need to logout if log in not authenticate

Using unix shell script file I need to telnet to a IP further send a command to the telnet IP and get the response to a file with out using "expect" utility and I have achieved this by below command. (sleep 3; echo admin; sleep 3; echo mypass; sleep 5;echo "show status-list"; sleep 5; echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunath Rao
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatically login in the telnet from present telnet

Hi, I was writing one script which includes to switch to the another telnet automatically from the present telnet server. I was using rlogin but firstly it takes the same user name of the present telnet and secondly it is prompting for the password. But i want to switch to the another telnet... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup & restore Gnome Desktop and all settings in Gnome

Hi I'm looking for scripts to backup & restore Gnome Desktop and all settings in Gnome. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference Between Krb5-telnet And Ekrb5-telnet

Hi, I want to know the difference between these two services. Both are under xinetd. Both are used for enabling and disabling Telnet service. So, can somebody please explain me the difference between the two ? Thanks in advance :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
0 Replies

8. Programming

what is the main difference between difference between using nonatomic lseek and O_APPEND

I think both write at the end of the file ...... but is there a sharp difference between those 2 instruction ..... thank you this is my 3rd question today forgive me :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to calculate difference of split and sum the difference

In the awk I am trying to subtract the difference $3-$2 of each matching $4 before the first _ (underscore) and print that value in $13. I think the awk will do that, but added comments. What I am not sure off is how to add a line or lines that will add sum each matching $13 value and put it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
stopped(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						stopped(7)

NAME
       stopped - event signalling that a job has stopped

SYNOPSIS
       stopped JOB=JOB INSTANCE=INSTANCE RESULT=RESULT [PROCESS=PROCESS] [EXIT_STATUS=STATUS] [EXIT_SIGNAL=SIGNAL] [ENV]...

DESCRIPTION
       The  stopped event is generated by the Upstart init(8) daemon when an instance of a job has stopped.  The JOB environment variable contains
       the job name, and the INSTANCE environment variable contains the instance name which will be empty for single-instance jobs.

If the job was stopped normally, the RESULT environment variable will be ok, otherwise if the job was stopped because it has failed it will
       be failed.

When  the  job  has  failed, the process that failed will be given in the PROCESS environment variable.	This may be pre-start, post-start,
       main, pre-stop or post-stop; it may also be the special value respawn to indicate that the job was  stopped  because  it  hit  the  respawn
       limit.

Finally	in  the  case  of  a  failed job, one of either EXIT_STATUS or EXIT_SIGNAL may be given to indicate the cause of the stop.  Either
       EXIT_STATUS will contain the exit status code of the process, or EXIT_SIGNAL will contain the name of the signal that the process received.
       The  normal  exit  job  configuration stanza can be used to prevent particular exit status values or signals resulting in a failed job, see
       init(5) for more information.

If neither EXIT_STATUS or EXIT_SIGNAL is given for a failed process, it is because the process failed  to  spawn  (for  example,  file  not
       found).	See the system logs for the error.

init(8)	emits this event as an informational signal, services and tasks started or stopped by this event will do so in parallel with other
       activity.  It is typically combined with the starting(7) event by services when inserting themselves as a dependency.

Job configuration files may use the export stanza to export environment variables from their own environment into the stopped  event.   See
       init(5) for more details.

EXAMPLE
       A service that wishes to be running whenever another service would be running, started before and stopped after it, might use:

start on starting apache
	      stop on stopped apache

A task that must be run after another task or service has been stopped might use:

start on stopped postgresql

SEE ALSO
       starting(7) started(7) stopping(7) init(5)

Upstart 							    2009-07-09								stopped(7)