Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fail to telnet localhost 106
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu fail to telnet localhost 106 Post 302151554 by reborg on Sunday 16th of December 2007 10:49:37 AM
Old 12-16-2007
try reconfiguring the poppassd package
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure courierpassd

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Telnet fail

Hi, I try to telnet to server: # telnet xx.xxx.1.72 1521 Trying xx.xxx.1.72... telnet: connect to address xx.xxx.1.72: Connection refused telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused iptables is off: # service iptables status Firewall is stopped. # And I have edit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehrdad68
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

If Telnet fail abort other command..??

Hi Team, I my script i telent my node ip and after loging i run some commands...But some time login fail so i want to stop script at that time.. CONFIG_CHNG.sh printf 'Please Input Node ID : ' read node node="$node" #exec > node_log_$node.log 2>&1 #set -x >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Mankar
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Telnet failed to localhost.

Hi, I am trying telnet to localhost 514. But the connection is refusing. Port does not appear in netstat. IP table service is also off. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nishit
5 Replies
COURIERPASSD(8) 						  Authentication						   COURIERPASSD(8)

NAME
courierpassd - change passwords from across the network using the Courier authentication library SYNOPSIS
courierpassd [-hV] [-s SERVICE] [--stderr] courierpassd -s, --service SERVICE courierpassd --stderr courierpassd -h, --help courierpassd -V, --version DESCRIPTION
courierpassd allows users to change their passwords from remote locations using the Courier authentication library. Usernames can be up to 64 characters long while passwords can be up to 128 characters long. courierpassd uses the poppassd protocol for obtaining authentication tokens from the network. courierpassd is intended to be run from a super-server such as tcpserver or xinetd. The service specified by the -s switch will depend on the particular authentication modules installed. Often 'login' will be appropriate but other possibilities include 'imap' and 'pop3'. This value defaults to 'login'. See the Courier documentation for a further explanation of this switch. The minimum uid that courierpassd will attempt to change a password for can be set at compile time using the configure option --with- minuid. courierpassd will refuse to change the password of a user whose uid is below this value. The default value is 100. This value should never be set to 0 as this would allow root's password to be changed from a remote location. A second configure option, --with-badpassdelay, can be used to set the delay in seconds that courierpassd sleeps after an unsuccessful password change attempt. This feature is designed to make brute force attacks against passwords harder to perform. The default value is 3. LOGGING
Logging is done to syslog by default or to stderr if the --stderr switch is used. courierpassd logs all password change attempts whether they are successful or not. courierpassd does certain checks on command line arguments so it is important to put --stderr first in the argument list if it is to be used in order for these checks to be logged properly. EXAMPLE CLIENT-SERVER CONVERSATION All messages passed between server and client are text based allowing a client session to be easily mimicked with telnet. Using telnet, changing a user's password would look like this: Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1). Escape character is '^]'. 200 courierpassd 1.1.2 hello, who are you? user <username> 200 Your password please. pass <current password> 200 Your new password please. newpass <new password> 200 Password changed, thank-you. quit 200 Bye. Connection closed by foreign host. BUGS
If you've found a bug in courierpassd, please report it to freeware@arda.homeunix.net SEE ALSO
http://www.courier-mta.org/authlib/ http://echelon.pl/pubs/poppassd.html AUTHOR
courierpassd was written by Andrew St. Jean Courier authentication library was written by Sam Varshavchik poppassd was written by Pawel Krawczyk based on an ealier version written by John Norstad, Roy Smith and Daniel L. Leavitt GNU
/Linux 20 Jan 2005 COURIERPASSD(8)