Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple Scripting Problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple Scripting Problem Post 302151519 by Kundunni on Sunday 16th of December 2007 03:12:12 AM
Old 12-16-2007
If you do not want to use sed or awk, then you can use it with simple comamands. But you should be knowing the line number

For example file contains

cat yourfile
line 1
line 2
line 3
line 4

I think your intension is to add a line after line 2.

head -2 your file > newfile
echo "new line" >> newfile
tail -2 your file >>newfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

any tutorials on simple scripting?

i'm not looking for anything that deals with "if-then" scripts. i'd like something simple on how to run a series of processes. for example the following: 1. ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/ 2. lcd / 3. get pkgsrc.tar.gz 4. bye 5. cd /usr 6. rm -rf pkgsrc 7. cd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with simple scripting actions

Hi, I am a beginner in unix shell scripting. I wanted simple information like 1- How to know what are the number of command line options given for the script file? 2- How to check if a variable value is interger or string? 3- How to use awk to replace value of a variable For example I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nads
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple scripting question

I am new to scropting and I am just trying to work on a few simple things.... Using sh I want to do something similar to the follwoing run a simple command like a dig then I want it to get the server that it is authorotative and return it to me saying somehting like xx.xx is authorotative. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gennaro
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP me PLS... Simple Scripting!

this is my script.... SQL> select * from dba_profiles 2 where resource_name in ('FAILED_LOGIN_ATTEMPTS','PASSWORD_LOCK_TIME') 3 order by profile; and this is the output... PROFILE RESOURCE_NAME RESOURCE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liezer
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with simple korn scripting

Hi, The logic is very simple but I can't seem to make this work in Korn shell. I need to check two files to make sure there is no errors. Each of the file will have number. For example, first file btt.txt will have 112 which is good. Second file bgg.txt will have 6 which is also good. If I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with scripting a simple menu

Hi there. I'm trying to teach myself UNIX but the book I bought is a bit confusing. I'm trying out this exercise and I think I'm on the right track, but I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to improve what I have so far. Also, I'm not clear on how to use the read command to utilize the user's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jsmith
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple scripting.

echo "what is your username?" read username echo $username echo /home/$username $backup="backup" $restore="restore" # # if then echo "No username provided" else echo "hi $username would you like to backup or restore?" read userrequest echo $userrequest if then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EwanD
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help :: Simple Shell Scripting

Hello, I want to find the "IP-OF-SERVER" in /etc/squid/squid.conf And replace it with The IP of server. I know this command returns the IP of server : ifconfig | grep 'inet addr:'| grep -v '127.0.0.1' | cut -d: -f2 | awk '{ print $1}' And I can replace with sed. : sed -i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghadamyari
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with simple csh scripting

I found my answer... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjung9442
2 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Simple Shell Scripting

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: An argument example: ../path/cse/lab3/remove Right now, it's printing out all the directory and files in 'lab3'. I want it to print out all the files in 'remove'. I'm not sure how to do that. (I want to use a for loop) 2.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spider-man
2 Replies
aha(1)								 Ansi HTML Adapter							    aha(1)

NAME
aha - Ansi HTML Adapter SYNOPSIS
aha [options] [-f datei] DESCRIPTION
aha takes SGR-colored Input and prints W3C conform HTML-Code. aha reads the Input from a file or stdin and writes HTML-Code to stdout. OPTIONS
--help , -h , -? A help like this --black , -b Black Background and white "standard color" --pink , -p Pink Background --iso X , -i X Uses ISO 8859-X instead of utf-8. X must be 1..16 --title X , -t X Gives the html output the title --line-fix , -l Uses a fix for inputs using control sequences to change the cursor position like htop. It's a hot fix, it may not work with any pro- gram like htop. (See EXAMPLE) EXAMPLE
aha --help | aha --black --title "the awesome aha help"> aha-help.htm Creates an HTML file with the help of aha with black background colordiff oldfile.c newfile.c | aha > colordiff.htm Creates an HTML file with a colorful diff-output of two files "oldfile.c" and "newfile.c" with white background ls --color=always | aha --pink > ls.htm Creates an HTML file with a colorful ls-output with pink background. echo a | htop | aha --black --line-fix > htop.htm Creates an HTML file with the output of htop. You have to use --line-fix due the other new-line-commands htop uses. AUTHOR
Copyleft Alexander Matthes aka Ziz 2011 zizsdl@googlemail.com SEE ALSO
http://ziz.delphigl.com/tool_aha.php August 31, 2011 aha(1)