Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers wc of characters in a file ignoring white space Post 302151478 by reborg on Saturday 15th of December 2007 05:13:28 PM
Old 12-15-2007
Code:
tr -d '[:space:] ' < file | wc -c

or
Code:
tr -d '[:blank:]' < file | wc -c

depending on your needs.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping white space...

Hi All; Having a problem with a file.. the file contains the following data... (a snapshot) 1331F9E9DB7C2BB80EAEDE3A8F043B94,AL7 1DZ,M,50 186FDF93E1303DBA217279EC3671EA91,NG5 1JU,M,24 3783FFAF602015056A8CD21104B1AAAF,CH42 4NQ,M,17 It has 3 columns sepreated by a , the second column... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zak
7 Replies

2. Solaris

removing special characters, white spaces from a field in a file

what my code is doing, it is executing a sql file and the resullset of the query is getting stored in the text file in a fixed format. for that fixed format i have used the following code:: Code: awk -F":"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed + white space

Hi, What sed command (if sed is the right command) can remove ALL white space from my file. I have a csv, except I want to remove all white space between commas and characters. My idea (without testing) sed 's/ //g' Is there a better way? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcclunyboy
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove white space from specific columns in text file

Hello i have a text file like this: 1 AB AC AD EE 2 WE TR YT WW 3 AS UY RF YT the file is bigger , but that's an example of the data what i want to do is to merge all columns together except the first one, it will become like this : 1 ABACADEE 2 WETRYTWW 3 ASUYRFYT (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shelladdict
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filename with white space

our user creates a text file with a white space on the filename. this same file is transfered to unix via automation tool. i have a korn shell script that reads these files on a input directory and connects to oracle database to run the oracle procedures which will load the data from each of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - Ignoring White Space with FS

I have an AWK script that uses multiple delimiters in the FS variable. FS="+" My awk script takes a file name such as this: 12345_smith_bubba_12345_20120215_4_0.pdf and parses it out based on the under score. Each parsed field then has some code for data validation etc. This script has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: reno4me
12 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Want a tcl script to compare a string in a file ignoring white spaces

Hi , I want a tcl script to search a string ignoring whitespaces in a .log file . It should correctly match . The string are as follows "Output-Maps 1 1 0 0 0" 1 and Active Intermediate-Maps 0 0 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kulua
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tcl script for seaching a string ignoring white spaces

Hi , I want to search a string in a file ignoring white spaces in TCL. My string is as follows Ouput-Maps " 1 1 1 0 " 1i am doing following set a *1*1*1*0* " }1 abc.log}] but it is not working. What is the wrong with the tcl script Thanks Gouranga Video... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mybapa3000@gmai
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate is ignoring space

Hi All,I am facing the below problem I have set a variable: a=`cat a.txt| grep "mad" | cut -c 30-50`the output is coming echo $a1 10 Mad300 3215however the actual ouput is 1.10 Mad300 3215There are 4spaces between 300 and 3215 so if i do: echo "$a" I am getting correct output: 1.10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add white space

hi guys how can i add spacein file name with sed if strings have no space around dash input 19-20 ( 18-19 ) ABC-EFG output after add white space 19 - 20 (18 - 19 ) ABC - EFG thx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhs
2 Replies
udc(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							    udc(4)

NAME
udc - user-defined character raster font format DESCRIPTION
The UDC raster font format consists of a character index and character pattern. The code area and the maximum number of characters depend upon the device and the language. The size of the fonts depend upon the merged font file and the device. Character Index The character index consists of a 4- or 5-digit code. According to the languese, the following codes can be used: +--------------------+------------+ | Language | Code | +--------------------+------------+ |Japanese | KU-TEN | |Korean | Row&Column | |Simplified Chinese | HP-15 | |Traditional Chinese | HP-15 | +--------------------+------------+ For KU-TEN code, the 2- or 3-digit KU code and 2-digit TEN code, i.e. 4- or 5-digit code is used. There are two pattern format as follow- ing. Note 1KU ~ 120KU are valid for JIS X 0208, and 1KU ~ 94KU are for JIS X 0212. +------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Character Index example | | +------------------------+-----------------------------+ |[8701] | For JIS X 0208 (87KU 01TEN) | |[8701-0212] | For JIS X 0212 (87KU 01TEN) | +------------------------+-----------------------------+ For Row&Column code, the 4-digit decimal code is used. The code is contained in brackets in this form: [1601]. For HP-15 code, the alphanumeric 0x precedes the 4-digit hexadecimal code as in 0x889F. Character Pattern The # character in the illustrations below represents black pixels. A space represents a white pixel. EXAMPLES
[9493] # # # # # # # # # [9494] ##### # # # # # # # # ##### SEE ALSO
udcc(1), udcload(1), xudced(1). udc(4)