Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I parse a record found in /etc/passwd into variables? Post 302151350 by porter on Friday 14th of December 2007 03:58:53 PM
Old 12-14-2007
If you know the user name then the only thing you need to look up is the home directory, in ksh this can be evaluated with ~username, eg eval ~\$USER.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I parse passwords into passwd command.

Do you know of any methods where I can send an input of passwords into the passwd command? For instance, I have a file which has the password stored and I want it to be sent into this command "passwd gilberteu" when it prompts for the new password and subsequently confirming the password that was... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilberteu
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse a string into variables

I'm working in korn shell and have a variable which contains a string like: aa_yyyymmdd_bbb_ccc_ddd.abc. I want to treat the _ and . as delimiters and parse the string so I end up with 6 values in variables that I can manipulate. My original plan was to use var1=`echo $sting1 | cut -c1-c2` but... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aquimby
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to read a file and parse each record

Hi Guys, I am new to unix scripting and I am tasked to parse through a CSV file delimited by #. Sample: sample.csv H#A#B#C D#A#B#C T#A#B#C H = Header D = Detail Record T = Tail What I need is to read the file and parse through it to get the columns. I have no idea on how... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3vilwyatt
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to parse output for variables in Bash

Trying to finish up my script that automates some video encoding work. Situation: There is an MKV file to be transcoded. Problem: MKVINFO will give a bunch of output about an MKV file, included in that output are two lines I am interested in: | + Default duration: 41.708ms (23.976 fps... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: randyharris
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parse or cut concat variables to individual values

Hello I need to pass some environment parameters to a datastage job and am getting an error when trying to send the complete concatinated variable. I have decided to parse out just the values and send as parameters but am struggling to find the best way to do this (actually I am not very... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LynnC
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

prompt to delete each record when pattern is found

Hello!. I am working on a very simple program and I have been trying different things. This is so far what I have done and there is one small detail that still does not work. It finds all the records in a phonebook per say: ./rem Susan More than one match; Please select the one to remove: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bartsimpsong
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut fields from /etc/passwd file into variables?

The script must ask the user to enter the user name and check whether the user exists in /etc/passwd (you must allow the partial usernames also). If the username exists, display the details as: List of users Login Name: User ID: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobletechnology
3 Replies

8. Linux

Parse ; deliminated variable to create variables

Hi there, would appreciate some help on this parsing problem if anybody can help im trying to parse a variable with the following output, each of the values im trying to parse are deliminated by a ; T192... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottish_jason
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse variables from C++ to shell

Hi All, #include <iostream> int main() { std::int foo = 34; system("mkdir /home/linuxUser/fooDir"); system("vi fooFile") system("write foo in fooFile") foo = 43; foo = read foo from fooFile; std::cout << "foo = " << foo ; } result should be foo = 34 can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete only if duplicates found in each record

Hi, i have another problem. I have been trying to solve it by myself but failed. inputfile ;; ID T08578 NAME T08578 SBASE 30696 EBASE 32083 TYPE P func just test func chronology func cholesterol func null INT 30765-37333 INT 37154-37318 Link 5546 Link 8142 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
4 Replies
let(1)                                                             User Commands                                                            let(1)

NAME
let - shell built-in function to evaluate one or more arithmetic expressions SYNOPSIS
ksh let arg... DESCRIPTION
ksh Each arg is a separate "arithmetic expression" to be evaluated. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 The value of the last expression is non-zero. 1 The value of the last expression is zero. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), set(1), typeset(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 let(1)