Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pack current folder
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Pack current folder Post 302151308 by d0nny2600 on Friday 14th of December 2007 11:31:56 AM
Old 12-14-2007
Tarballlllering

Hey,
This should sort you out

tar cvzf Yourfolder.tar.gz /home/YourFolderName

that should create a tarball of YourFolderName and all sub dirs and save it as Yourfolder.tar.gz

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use awk to create new folder in current directory

Alright, I am sure this is a laughable question, but I don't know so I am going to ask anyway. I have a little script I am writing to take information from one source, recode it in a certain way, and print to files for each subject I have data for. This all works perfectly. I just want to put... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccox85
6 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Checking Current Service Pack & Hot Fixes of XP

Dear Sir / Madam, With due respect, I am putting forwarad a question that whenever I am trying to check the current Service Pack & Hotfixes in Windows XP, I am getting the response like as under: (Windows can't find the" qfecheck.exe " check it again) in GUI mode ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swapan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find files in current folder only?

How do I find files in current folder only? We are on AIX 5.3, so maxdepth is not supported. I tried to do this find /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4 -prune -type f to display all files in /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4 only but it does not show any files. Somehow the -prune option works for dir3 level... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip recursive content of folder when (not current directory=

Hi, Is there a way to zip the content (recursively) of a folder other then the current directory, and keep the directory structure intact? Example: /var/tmp/myfolder ----------------- file1 ----------------- file2 ----------------- folder1 ------------------------ file3 Now I want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimih
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting current folder name appended to all desired files

Hello everyone, Just registered here, I'm kinda new to Unix :o I've been trying to automate some processes with various Windows tools. I found that using unix scripts the result would be closest to my needs. So I installed Cygwin on Windows 7. My folders and files are structured like this:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_bg1
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search current folder and subfolders with grep

Hello, Neither ‘Grep -r' nor ‘grep -R' is working in my environment. (Searching for a text pattern in the files) Any suggestions... Using SunOS 5.9 Thanks, Trinanjan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhanja_trinanja
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar file from current folder

Hello guys, I am sure this has been asked before, but honestly, I cant find post talking about it. Here is what I need: - A tar file will be generated manually by user - This tar file is then used within a bash shell script My source folder structure is like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manolain
2 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

List matching directories in current folder only on AIX

Hi, I need to find the list of matching direcories in current folder only and no subfolders on AIX.I tried -maxdepth option but its not working. Also, tried ls -d option to list the matching directories but getting argument list too long... So, any help would be appreciated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinkl
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

WHM Crontab and Folder Renaming to current date

Hello, i am trying to rename a folder named 'cpbackup' to current date in our WHM Root via setting up a cronetab entry. but the folder does not get renamed on the scheduled time :confused: */1 * * * * timestamp=$(date +%m%d%Y);/bin/mv /ac_backups/cpbackup /ac_backups/$timestamp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kandyjet
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to ? same alias should respond differently based on current folder

Hi, I have to handle multiple projects at same time. And i have to go to a folder often in each project. So I have a alias to there. Lets say i am in project environment "sky" (pwd = /home/sky/sim/bla/). For this project i have stored the scripts in the folder lets say... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: microsim
3 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)