Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with finding length of a field Post 302151132 by vgersh99 on Thursday 13th of December 2007 04:16:35 PM
Old 12-13-2007
sorry - forgot the field seprator
Code:
nawk -F'|' length($1) != 5 || length($2) != 5'

Also yuu probably want to print a records if EITHER one of the fields is not 5 chars long?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding out the length of a string held within a variable

:confused: Does anyone know which command I can use to find out the length of a string held within a variable? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Validating fixed length field...

What's wrong with this part of my script? I just want to put each column from a fixed length file into a variable so I can validate each field later in the script. exec< myfile.dat while read afile; do a=`echo $(echo $afile |cut -c1-10)` echo "$a" b=`echo $(echo $afile |cut -c11-20)`... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the length of a string in a field

I have a field MPN-BANK-NUMBERO:006,00:N in a file FILE1 How can i display the length of the Bank Number.Any idea ? The output shud take the following format FILE 1 6 Where 1 is the starting position and 6 is the Ending position. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the records with a specified length

I have a sample txt file which has different variable lengths of 2,10,3,15. What is the command that I need use in order to get the record count that has length '3' Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flat file-make field length equal to header length

Hello Everyone, I am stuck with one issue while working on abstract flat file which i have to use as input and load data to table. Input Data- ------ ------------------------ ---- ----------------- WFI001 Xxxxxx Control Work Item A Number of Records ------ ------------------------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonali.s.more
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a particular field length and append '0' if less less than 10

Hi, I am new to Unix. Please help me in finding solution for the below scenario. I have a flat file that contains data like 378633410|3013505414|new_378633410|ALBERT|WALLS|378633410|Rew||||||| 351049045|239|new_351049045|JIM|COOK|351049045|Rew|||||||... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandek
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the length of the longest column

Hi, I am trying to figure out how to get the length of the longest column in the entire file (because the length varies from one row to the other) I was doing this at first to check how many fields I have for the first row: awk '{print NF; exit}' file Now, I can do this: awk '{ if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a field with a character as per the field length

Hi all, I have a requirement to replace a field with a character as per the length of the field. Suppose i have a file where second field is of 20 character length. I want to replace second field with 20 stars (*). like ******************** As the field is not a fixed one, i want to do the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gani_85
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change variable length field?

Hello, I have a file with a date field with various lengths. For example: m/d/yyyy hh:mm or h:mm mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm or h:mm Is there a way using sed or awk to change the field to m/d/y ? I don't need the hours and minutes in that field, just the date in the proper format. Thanks in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonnyo916
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding difference between two columns of unequal length

Hi, I have two files which look like this cat waitstate.txt 18.2 82.1 cat gostate.txt 5.6 5.8 6.1 6.3 6.6 6.9 7.2 7.5 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
4 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)