Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX trouble changeing password for user Post 302150799 by porter on Wednesday 12th of December 2007 05:54:09 PM
Old 12-12-2007
(a) confirm that heather1 truely does exist, eg in /etc/passwd or wherever.

(b) do you have password rules enforced?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

password verification verify password of a user for only first 8 characters

Helo , I m using linux pam library for user and its password authentication. I m creating new user and giving its password.I m giving password of 10 characters.now when I login in as that newly created user its ask me $ su - ram Password: You are required to change your password immediately... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
12 Replies

2. Red Hat

Trouble logging in with username and password

I have a RHEL 5 server that I can log into with an LDAP account hosted on a server running Sun DSEE 6.3 with an ssh key pair but not with my username and password. When I try to login to the console I am given the "login incorrect" message as if I fat fingered my password. Other users with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
5 Replies

3. Linux

Changeing helo sent from sendmail

I'm trying to change the helo sent from one of my sendmail servers. It is sending out localhost.localdomain and i need it to send , Every time i change it, my sendmail blows up. It wont send new mail and it gives me the error of Apr 13 17:19:03 localhost sendmail: o3E0J3F2012758: from=root,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackax
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with changeing permissions on my second hard drive

Hello I have just started using unix /ubanti and want to know how i can change permissions on my second hard drive. now i cannot use it except looking at text files . It used to be my winxp hard drive and i'd like to use it for things. Don spaulding Continued at Problem with accessing my 2nd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Donald Spauldin
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

SVN user permissions trouble

I am trying to add a user to my SVN server that can only access one of about a dozen repositories I have set up. Here are the files that I think need changed and what I have set them to. No matter what I try with these files I am unable to see the results I am after. In the end I want this new... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: benn600
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

!!VERY URGENT!! Trouble in getting user input, while using under CASE statement in UNIX

i want to get user input like this please tell which option to chose 1. mango 2. tango 3. rango if user chooses mango then it should execute a set of statements and again ask like this what do you want to do 1.add 2.subtract 3.exit when i choose exit it should goto my previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s.deepak
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble in getting user input while using CASE statement in UNIX

i want to get user input like this please tell which option to chose 1. mango 2. tango 3. rango if user chooses mango then it should execute a set of statements and again ask like this what do you want to do 1.add 2.subtract 3.exit when i choose exit it should goto my previous menu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s.deepak
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Trouble assigning user to group in OpenLDAP

Hello, I am working on setup LDAP Server and facing issue related to assigning user to a group. Below is the LDAP structure i am using. I have created Users,Groups and Servers ou's and sub ou's added to the same or Users as well as Groups OU. Logged in as: cn=Manager,dc=bebolabs,dc=net ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysthakur
0 Replies

9. Linux

Trouble setting up basic user authentication on apache2 web server

Hey guys! So I decided to set up some basic user authentication on my apache2 server, and I am running into some problems. I followed the documentation provided by apache on their website, but I cant create the password file for some reason. I did a little trouble shooting myself, and found... (40 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxIntern445
40 Replies
pwconv(1M)                                                System Administration Commands                                                pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the corre- sponding entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.10 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)