Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: renaming files with numbers
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting renaming files with numbers Post 302150755 by pacat on Wednesday 12th of December 2007 12:43:02 PM
Old 12-12-2007
renaming files with numbers

I have files of the sort

dhfmovie1.txt
dfhmovie2.txt

and want to rename them to

dhfmovie01.txt
dhfmovie02.txt

the files are in a directory with many other files, I only need to do this for files with 1-9 in the name. can anyone help me with the correct sed/mv script?

thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

renaming files

Hello all- I need to rename files by adding an embedded 0 e.g. aaa_bbb_1234 needs to become aaa_bbb_01234 The aaa and 1234 will change but the bbb_ can be my anchor. TIA (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ohagar
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

renaming files

I have a list of files named ab_*.csv I would like to remane them all by removing the ab_ and have *.csv I did the following but I am surely missing something. /* wrong script */ for i in `ls -1 ab_*`; do mv ab_$i $i; done Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxh461
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming files

Hi all, using a utility image file was named starting with blank space and a blank space in between. I want to rename the files. file names are in the format " sb 12.tif"," sb 13.tif"," sb 14.tif" the files are in thousands. i want to rename as 12.tif, 13.tif, 14.tif.... thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahkverma
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming files

Hello, I wanted to rename one file where filename contains space.. How can i rename in unix? The file name is ABC XYZ.TXT I wanted to rename this file as ABCXYZ.TXT. Any help is greatly appreciated... Regards. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming list of files with version numbers

Hi, I have a need to rename a list of files with a suffix .v1, .v2, v3 etc. and would like to keep a maximum of 6 versions. example: I have abc.sql in my current dir. and as part of a successful completion of another script I want to move abc.sql -> abc.sql.v1. When I run the original... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: try2shell
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming files or adding a name in the beginning of all files in a folder

Hi All I have a folder that contains hundreds of file with a names 3.msa 4.msa 21.msa 6.msa 345.msa 456.msa 98.msa ... ... ... I need rename each of this file by adding "core_" in the begiining of each file such as core_3.msa core_4.msa core_21.msa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripts (Renaming file names with sequential numbers)

Hi there, Firstly, I have no experience with shell scripts so would really appreciate some help. I have the following shell script that is causing some problems: moveit() { && set -x if then DOUBLE_DELIVERY=$(grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thebeno
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file that has multiple numbers as filename

Hi I have a file with filename as "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.76217657132.9721536798" Now i need to move this file as "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.76217657132.9721536798_org" i tried with # ls | grep -E "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.+"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files in sftp server in a get files script

Hi, In sftp script to get files, I have to rename all the files which I am picking. Rename command does not work here. Is there any way to do this? I am using #!/bin/ksh For eg: sftp user@host <<EOF cd /path get *.txt rename *.txt *.txt.done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
7 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)