Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX memory problems
Operating Systems HP-UX UNIX memory problems Post 302150743 by eddiej on Wednesday 12th of December 2007 12:05:09 PM
Old 12-12-2007
Question UNIX memory problems

I don't know if this is better suited for the application section, but here goes.

We are currently running HP-UX 11 as our database server. The database is Progress version 9.1C.

As of late, some of our batch processes that run on the UNIX db server are erroring out because of what appear to be memory issues(at least according to Progress). The db error messages indicate that either there are too may subprocesses and it cannot fork, there is not enough memory to execute the request, or there is not enough memory to allocate a sort buffer. There does not appear to be a consistent pattern to when this happens. Also, we don't appear to be exceeding swap space.

Not sure what else it could be. If any of you have encountered similiar problems, how did you resolve it? Any and all feedback is appreciated.

-Ed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

plock() memory locking problems

I'm experiencing some strangeness when using plock(). I'm on a Solaris 5.7/SPARC machine with 64MB of memory. I can show that plock() works by successfully locking down 10 MB of memory. Then, I ask for 40 MB, and I get a failure notice because there is "Not enough memory" available. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: troccola
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Program/ Memory Problems

I need some advise. I have an application server running several applications. When I try and start a particular application when the others are running I receive the following. This is appearing in the core file that is created. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

UNIX memory problems w/Progress DB

We are currently running HP-UX 11 as our database server. The database is Progress version 9.1C. As of late, some of our batch processes that run on the UNIX db server are erroring out because of what appear to be memory issues(at least according to Progress). The db error messages indicate... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eddiej
0 Replies

4. Programming

[C] Problems with shared memory

Hi everbody, i have a problem with shared memory and child-processes in C (unix). I have a server that do forks to create (N) child processes. This processes work with a shared "stuct" thanks to shared memory and a semaphore. The problem is when a child modify the shared memory and the others... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hurricane86
2 Replies

5. Programming

Problems with shared memory and lists

Hi, I need to put in shared memory a list made with object of this structure: typedef struct Obj{ char objname; struct Obj *nextObj; }Object I've filled my list with (for example) 10 elements, but when i try to put it in shared memory to be read by another process i get segmentation fault... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeNdErR
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Memory problems on a -sunfire T2000

I work with a network management tool, which, for various reasons, is installed on a solaris server.This is a Sunfire T2000 server with 16 CPUs and 8GB of RAM. I have installed a Solaris 10 ZFS and 8GB swap. From the beginning I had problems with memory occupation that it rises progressively to 95%... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drusa79
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

A bad configured logrotate can cause a problems with memory leak ?

I am newbe to unix. I have a very serious problem on my server. I have a java application running, and all day on Monday morning, the process that is associated with this java is locked. Usually I doing a shutdown by the shutdown java command , you have to kill the process with the kill-kill... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jjoottaa
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Memory problems in NFS client server

Hi all, i have some doubts in a situation that i fail to get an answer in Google. I have a solaris 10 nfs server and 5 centos 6.0 nfs clients. The problem/situation is that in the clients the free memory is "disappearing" along the time (passing to used)..and it gets free if i umount the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blast
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Memory problems in Blade 6340

We have a 6000 chassis with three blades in it. Two of the blades have "Oracle/Sun" memory in them with no complaints. The third blade is populated with Dataram dimms. That 3rd blade continues to flag a slot bad. Oracle has said they would not support the blade with Dataram memory it it. I didn't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brownwrap
1 Replies

10. AIX

Memory problems.

Hi All, Just loaded AIX 6.1 and then got Firefox running on the workstation. To test out I wanted to download some small files from 'Perlz', and during this I'm told there's not enough room in the Downloads folder. What do I do to resize folders from the default and generally move memory around? In... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Box_the_Jack_in
3 Replies
memx(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   memx(8)

NAME
memx - memory exerciser SYNOPSIS
/usr/field/memx -s [-h] [-ofile] [-ti] [-mj] [-pk] OPTIONS
The memx options are as follows: Print the help message for the memx command. Disables automatic shared memory testing. Save diagnostic output in file. Run time in minutes (i). The default is to run until the process receives a CTRL-C or a kill -15 pid command. The memory size in bytes (j) to be tested by each spawned process. Must be greater than 4095. The default is (total-memory)/20. The number of pro- cesses to spawn (k). The default is 20. The maximum is also 20. DESCRIPTION
The memx memory exerciser spawns processes to exercise memory by writing and reading three patterns: 1's and 0's, 0's and 1's, and a random pattern. You specify the number of processes to spawn and the size of memory to be tested by each process. If the shmx Shared Memory exerciser is present, it will be the first process spawned; the remaining processes are standard memory exercisers. The memx exerciser will run until the process receives a CTRL-C or a kill -15 pid command. A logfile for you to examine and then remove is created in the current working directory. If there are errors in the logfile, check the syslog file where the driver and kernel error messages are saved. RESTRICTIONS
The memx exerciser is restricted by the size of the available swap space. The size of the swap space and the size of internal memory available determines how many processes can run on the system. For example, If there is 16 Mbytes of swap space and 16 Mbytes of memory, all of the swap space would be used if all 20 spawned memory exercisers are running. In that event, no new processes would be able to run. On systems with large amounts of memory and small swap space, you must restrict the number of memory exercisers and/or the size of memory being tested. If there is a need to run a system exerciser over an NFS link or on a diskless system there are some restrictions. For exercisers that need to write into a file system, such as fsx(8), the target file system must be writable by root. Also, the directory in which any of the exercisers are executed must be writable by root because temporary files are written into the current directory. These latter restrictions are sometimes difficult to overcome because often NFS file systems are mounted in a way that prevents root from writing into them. Some of the restrictions may be overcome by copying the exerciser to another directory and then executing it. You should specify the -s option to disable automatic shared memory testing, which is not supported. EXAMPLES
The following example tests all of memory by running 20 spawned processes until a CTRL-C or kill -15 pid command is received: % /usr/field/memx The following example runs 10 spawned processes, memory size 500,000 bytes, for 180 minutes in the background. % /usr/field/memx -t180 -m500000 -p10 & SEE ALSO
Commands: cmx(8), diskx(8), fsx(8), shmx(8), tapex(8) memx(8)