Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: General UNIX Query
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting General UNIX Query Post 302150702 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 12th of December 2007 08:22:45 AM
Old 12-12-2007
Another alternative is Cygwin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

General Query

Hi all My job is to bootup the servers (1 sun solaris 5.8, 3 sco (release 5) and 1 windows 2000), taking backup of the servers and shut down. Apart from this, there are nearly 150 users for our oracle9i database (forms 3 and d2k as front end). As for as oracle 9i is concerned my job is to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raguramtgr
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

General Unix Questions !!

1. How do we know what is my machine name and what is its IP address? (in Solaris) 2. If i want to know the amount of physical CPUs a Unix Box possesses (LINUX and/or Solaris) then what command i have to look. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Query in Unix

hello folks i was executing few shell scripts using another login id , those were working fine ,these shell scripts basically call oracle stored procs now when i copied those shell scripts files to another user location n logged into that user's unix id , it is showing errors ...:( the oracle... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dana Evans
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Query in unix

hi .. i m in gr8 confusion for eg two number of files 1 & 2 1 contains following a b c 2 gives a b d e on executing following command diff 1 2 | grep ">" | sed 's/>//g' >output.dat in output.dat i get following data d e (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dana Evans
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Few general unix qns..URGENT!!

hey guys, I have a few general qns on unix, so I'd appreciate quick responses. 1. How do u read a file line by line and display its contents using KSH? 2. How to kill a process using only the name? 3. How to create an empty file with 1MB memory size? 4. How to append some content to an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasuke_uchiha
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

General Unix Error Logging?

Yesterday evening my server appeared to fall over. I couldn't copy (scp) files to it, and I couldn't SSH to it either. Every time I tried, it just gave me this message: Read from remote host <IP ADDRESS>: Connection reset by peer Connection to <IP ADDRESS> closed. I got in this morning, and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dave Stockdale
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

General Terminology related to the UNIX System

Hello, I am relatively new to the world of programming in general and to the UNIX System in particular. I have a bunch of theoretical questions related to terminology which I have come across in my coursebooks. I hope I post my question at the right place. Any help would be warmly welcome! ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: feliks0
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

query error in unix

Hi all , am using unix aix and Am getting the syntax error on 'UNION'.. can anybody tell me the solutions.. INSERT INTO table1 ( Type , num_items , num_letters , total_value ) (select type='1', num_items, num_letters=count(*), total_value=sum(letter_value) from table2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Query About wc -l output

I was performing the wc -l operation in one data file the result is less when i was giving -nu on the view of the file. while giving wc -l the count is 5023 after setting line numbers in view of file is giving 5024. Can anyone help on this.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhii
5 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX.COM General Data Privacy Regulations (GDPR) Compliance - For Member Comments

Dear All, Please read version Version 0.81 28 May 2018 of our draft UNIX.COM General Data Privacy Regulations (GDPR) Compliance. If you have any data privacy questions or concerns, or would like to see us address any other data privacy topic related to your personal data at UNIX.COM,... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
12 Replies
mtools(1)						      General Commands Manual							 mtools(1)

NAME
mtools - Provides a collection of tools for manipulating DOS files DESCRIPTION
The mtools commands are a public domain collection of programs that let you read, write, and manipulate files on a DOS file system (typi- cally a diskette) from a UNIX system. Each command attempts to emulate the DOS equivalent command as closely as possible. The following commands are available: Converts a DOS file to UNIX Changes DOS file attribute options Changes or reports the DOS working directory Copies DOS files to and from a UNIX operating system Deletes a DOS file Displays contents of a DOS directory Copies a diskette to another diskette as a bit-image copy Adds a DOS file system to a low-level formatted diskette Creates a shell script to restore UNIX file names from DOS Labels a DOS volume Makes a DOS directory Removes a DOS directory Performs a low level read (copy) of a DOS file to UNIX Renames an exist- ing DOS file Displays the contents of a DOS file Performs a low level write (copy) of a UNIX file to DOS Converts a UNIX file to DOS format DOS file names optionally are composed of a drive letter followed by a colon, a subdirectory, and a file name. Subdirectory names can use either the '/' or '' separator. The use of the '' separator or wildcards requires the names to be enclosed in quotes to protect them from the shell. The regular expression "pattern matching" routines follow the UNIX rules. For example, an asterisk (*) matches all DOS files in place of asterisks separated by a dot (.) such as *.*. The archive, hidden, read-only and system attribute bits are ignored during pattern match- ing. Not all UNIX file names are supported in the DOS world. The mtools commands may have to change UNIX names to fit the DOS file name conven- tions. Most commands provide the verbose option (-v), that displays new file names if they have been changed. The following table shows some examples of file name conversions: ----------------------------------------------- UNIX name DOS name Reason for the change ----------------------------------------------- thisisatest THISISAT file name too long file.stuff FILE.STU extension too long prn.txt XRN.TXT PRN is a device name .abc X.ABC null file name hot+cold HOTXCOLD illegal character ----------------------------------------------- All options use the minus (-) option, not the slash (/) as provided under DOS conventions. The mcd command is used to establish the device and the current working directory (relative to the DOS file system), otherwise the default is assumed to be A:. All the mtools commands return 0 on success and 1 on complete failure. All mtools require a floppy diskette properly installed on the system. All mtools facilities address a device named /dev/disk/floppy, therefore, a symbolic link between the floppy device and /dev/disk/floppy is also required. RESTRICTIONS
If the proper device is not specified (when multiple disks capacities are supported), an error message from the device driver may be dis- played. This message can be ignored. EXAMPLES
If the diskette is a SCSI attached floppy drive designated device rz13, the following example sets up a floppy diskette for access by the mtools commands: # cd /dev # ./MAKEDEV disk/dsk13 You can then link the device to /dev/disk/floppy as follows: # ln -s /dev/rdisk/dsk/13c /dev/disk/floppy The following example sets up a floppy diskette for access by the mtools commands if the floppy drive is FDI attached: # cd /dev # ./MAKEDEV fd0 You can then link the device to /dev/disk/floppy as follows: # ln -s /dev/rfd0c /dev/disk/floppy The following example also sets up a SCSI attached floppy diskette for access by the mtools commands: # /usr/sbin/mknod /dev/rdisk/dsk13c c 8 21506 You can then link the device to /dev/disk/floppy as follows: # ln -s /dev/rdisk/dsk13c /dev/disk/floppy Remember to use the appropriate SCSI name and minor number for your configuration. In this example, this is dev/rdisk/dsk13c. Caution This method is recommended for use only by experienced system administrators. SEE ALSO
Commands: dos2unix(1), ln(1), mattrib(1), mcd(1), mcopy(1), mdel(1), mdir(1), mdiskcopy(1), mformat(1), mlabel(1), mmd(1), mrd(1), mread(1), mren(1), mtype(1), mwrite(1), unix2dos(1) Floppy disk interface: fd(7) Utilities: MAKEDEV(8), mknod(8) mtools(1)