Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming (MPI) Segmentation fault with dynamic allocated 2D array Post 302150646 by lancer6238 on Wednesday 12th of December 2007 04:04:42 AM
Old 12-12-2007
(MPI) Segmentation fault with dynamic allocated 2D array

Hi all,
I'm getting segmentation fault errors when I try to send/receive 2 rows of a matrix as a block, and I can't figure out why.

Basically, I have a 4x5 matrix with an extra top row and an extra leftmost column, making it a (4+1)x(5+1) matrix stored in P0. I'm trying to send the 2nd and 3rd row as a block to P1, print out the contents, send the 4th and 5th row as a block to P1, then print out the contents again. I have dynamically allocated a (4+1)x(5+1) memory block to cellblock, then used the pointers cell[i] to point to each "row" of cellblock, so I can access the 2D array by cell[i][j].

I get the correct output, but with segmentation fault at the end.

Here is my code:

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <mpi.h>

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
   int rank, i, j, k = 1;
   int **cell, *row1, *cellblock;
   MPI_Status status;
   MPI_Init(&argc, &argv);
   MPI_Comm_rank(MPI_COMM_WORLD, &rank);
   row1 = (int*)calloc((5+1) * 2, sizeof(int));
   cellblock = (int*)calloc((4+1)*(5+1), sizeof(int));
   cell = &cellblock;
   for (i = 0 ; i < (4+1) ; i++)
        cell[i] = &cellblock[i*(5+1)];
   if (rank == 0)
   {
        for (i = 0 ; i < (4+1) ; i++)
              for (j = 0 ; j < (5+1) ; j++)
                   cell[i][j] = k++;
        for (i = 1 ; i < 5 ; i+=2)
              MPI_Send(&(cell[i][0]), (5+1)*2, MPI_INT, 1, 1, MPI_COMM_WORLD);
   }
   if (rank == 1)
   {
        for (i = 0 ; i < 2 ; i++)
        {
            MPI_Recv(row1, (5+1)*2, MPI_INT, 0, 1, MPI_COMM_WORLD, &status);
            for (j = 0 ; j < (5+1)*2 ; j++)
                printf("%d ", row1[j]);
            printf("\n");
       }
   }
   free(row1);
   free(cellblock);
   MPI_Finalize();
   return 0;

}

Please advise. Thank you.

Regards,
Rayne

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

segmentation fault

hi all i'm trying to execute a c program under linux RH and it gives me segmentation fault, this program was running under unix at&t anybody kow what the problem could be? thanx in advance regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omran
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation Fault

hello all, I tried a program on an array to intialise array elements from the standard input device.it is an integer array of 5 elements.but after entering the 4th element it throws a message called "Segmentation Fault" and returns to the command prompt without asking for the 5th element. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
3 Replies

3. Programming

Hi! segmentation fault

I have written a program which takes a directory as command line arguments and displays all the dir and files in it. I don't know why I have a problem with the /etc directory.It displays all the directories and files untill it reaches a sub directory called peers which is in /etc/ppp/peers.the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijlak
4 Replies

4. Programming

segmentation fault

If I do this. Assume struct life { char *nolife; } struct life **life; // malloc initialization & everything if(life->nolife == 0) Would I get error at life->nolife if it is equal to 0. wrong accession? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joey
3 Replies

5. Programming

segmentation fault

What is segmentation fault(core dumped) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokult
1 Replies

6. Programming

Segmentation fault.

I'm getting a segmentation fault. I'm new to Linux programming. Thanks so much for all of your input.:eek: #include </usr/include/mysql++/mysql++.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <iostream> #include <sstream> #include <string.h> using namespace std; int outputToImport(const char*... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sepoto
1 Replies

7. Programming

segmentation fault.

This code is causing a segmentation fault and I can't figure out why. I'm new to UNIX and I need to learn how to avoid this segmentation fault thing. Thank you so much. Thanks also for the great answers to my last post.:):b: int main() { mysqlpp::Connection conn(false); if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sepoto
3 Replies

8. Programming

Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault

I use a binary name (ie polo) it gets some parameter , so for debugging normally i do this : i wrote script for watchdog my app (polo) and check every second if it's not running then start it , the problem is , if my app , remain in state of segmentation fault for a while (ie 15 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
6 Replies

9. Programming

Segmentation fault

I keep getting this fault on a lot of the codes I write, I'm not exactly sure why so I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain the idea to me. For example this code #include <stdio.h> main() { unsigned long a=0; unsigned long b=0; int z; { printf("Enter two... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sizzler786
2 Replies

10. Programming

C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question.

Oddities with gcc, 2.95.3 for the AMIGA and 4.2.1 for MY current OSX 10.14.1... I am creating a basic calculator for the AMIGA ADE *NIX emulator in C as it does not have one. Below are two very condensed snippets of which I have added the results inside the each code section. IMPORTANT!... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies
TableMatrix::Spreadsheet(3pm)				       perl/Tk Documentation				     TableMatrix::Spreadsheet(3pm)

NAME
Tk::TableMatrix::Spreadsheet - Table Display with Spreadsheet-like bindings. SYNOPSIS
use Tk; use Tk::TableMatrix::Spreadsheet; my $t = $top->Scrolled('Spreadsheet', -rows => 21, -cols => 11, -width => 6, -height => 6, -titlerows => 1, -titlecols => 1, -variable => $arrayVar, -selectmode => 'extended', -titlerows => 1, -titlecols => 1, -bg => 'white', ); DESCRIPTION
Tk::TableMatrix::Spreadsheet is a Tk::TableMatrix-derived widget that implements some bindings so the resulting widget behaves more like a spreadsheet. Bindings Added: o Row/Col resize handles appear when the cursor is placed over a row/col border line in the rol/col title area. Dragging these handles will resize the row or column. If multiple rows or columns are selected, then the new row/col size will apply to all row/cols selected. Note: With the base Tk::TableMatrix, it is possible to resize the row/cols by dragging on any cell border. To be more spreadsheet-like, Tk::TableMatrix::Spreadsheet defaults to enable row/col resizing only thru the title row/col dragging. To override this default behavoir, set the -resizeborder option to 'both' at startup. o A popup menu for row/col insert/delete appears when the mouse is right-clicked in the row/col title areas. o Cells activate (i.e. the contents become edit-able) only when the cell is double-clicked or the F2 button is pressed. The default Tk::TableMatrix behavior is for the cell to be activated when the cell is single-clicked. o The Escape key causes any changes made to a cell to be canceled and the current selection cleared. o The return key causes the the current cell to move down. o The tab (or shift tab) key causes the current cell to be moved to the right (left). o The delete key will delete the current selection, if no cell is currently active. o The Mouse button 2 (middle button) paste from the PRIMARY. (Control-v pastes from the clipboard). Additional Information Widget methods, options, etc, are inherited from the Tk::TableMatrix widget. See its docs for additional information. Tk1.23 2007-01-09 TableMatrix::Spreadsheet(3pm)