Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: stack space in sol10
Operating Systems Solaris stack space in sol10 Post 302150608 by blowtorch on Wednesday 12th of December 2007 01:37:18 AM
Old 12-12-2007
You can change the stack size by setting default_stksize to whatever value you need. Note, however, that it is the minimum size that a stack can have. In other words, no thread can be created with a stack size smaller than this value.

Increasing this value will result in increased kernel memory consumption, so do it only if really required.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

what is stack winding and stack unwinding

helo can u tell me what do you mean by stack winding and stack unwinding Regards, Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
2 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

mysql on sol10 x86

i installed the x86 version (32-bit) of mysql community db. looks like the initial install of the pkg was good. however, i've got a few questions here. after the install, i run `/usr/local/mysql/scripts/mysql_install_db --user=mysql` to generate the db's and tables. it looks like a clean install... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pupp
0 Replies

3. Solaris

[Sol10/VMWare] Unable to see new disk space.

The master copy was set to 5 gigs. As the instance is cloned, additional space is provided. I was given a new instance along with 15 gigs of additional space. The problem is I can't see the additional space, either as additional space on the primary disk or as a second disk. # format Searching... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
8 Replies

4. Solaris

Sol10 on primepower 850

I've got a console that seems to be hung. all other services (ip, etc) work perfectly. in fact, its still in production... we just don't have console access. so i there are two consoles on this guy.. scfc0 and scfc1. using iompadm from fujitsu, this is what i got: # ./iompadm -c FJSVscf3 info... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pupp
1 Replies

5. Solaris

machine to learn Sol10

Hi What kind of Sun machine, you recommend to buy in order to learn Solaris 10 administration ? I need machine where I can train the following sol10 features : - zfs - solstice suite (RAID 0+1, RAID 5, RAID 1 + 0 ) - containers Please advice sth for reasonable price. thx for help. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
8 Replies

6. Solaris

Help with Sol10 boot error

I just ran the latest ( 9-27-11) solaris patch set on my sparc testbed ( ultra80 ). Brought down to single user mode and ran patches as I always have. When I rebooted it after completion it came up with the following error on boot. "Fast Access Data MMU Miss". I can boot to a cdrom in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bow tie klr
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel Stack vs User Mode Stack

Hi, I am new to the linux kernel development area. I want to know what is the difference between kernel mode stack and user mode stack? Does each process has a user mode stack and a kernel mode stack?? Or Each process has a user mode stack and there is only one kernel mode stack that is shared by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhkoar
4 Replies

8. Solaris

No swap space to grow stack

Dear Solaris Experts, I had a Problem with swap consumption in our Production server. I found error message in /var/adm/message: Aug 1 10:55:40 production genunix: WARNING: Sorry, no swap space to grow stack for pid 29716 (oracle) What should I do for temporary solution? I need no... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
4 Replies
thr_min_stack(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					 thr_min_stack(3C)

NAME
thr_min_stack - return the minimum-allowable size for a thread's stack SYNOPSIS
cc -mt [ flag... ] file...[ library... ] #include <thread.h> size_t thr_min_stack(void); DESCRIPTION
When a thread is created with a user-supplied stack, the user must reserve enough space to run this thread. In a dynamically linked execu- tion environment, it is very hard to know what the minimum stack requirments are for a thread. The function thr_min_stack() returns the amount of space needed to execute a null thread. This is a thread that was created to execute a null procedure. A thread that does some- thing useful should have a stack size that is thr_min_stack() + <some increment>. Most users should not be creating threads with user-supplied stacks. This functionality was provided to support applications that wanted complete control over their execution environment. Typically, users should let the threads library manage stack allocation. The threads library provides default stacks which should meet the requirements of any created thread. thr_min_stack() will return the unsigned int THR_MIN_STACK, which is the minimum-allowable size for a thread's stack. In this implementation the default size for a user-thread's stack is one mega-byte. If the second argument to thr_create(3C) is NULL, then the default stack size for the newly-created thread will be used. Otherwise, you may specify a stack-size that is at least THR_MIN_STACK, yet less than the size of your machine's virtual memory. It is recommended that the default stack size be used. To determine the smallest-allowable size for a thread's stack, execute the following: /* cc thisfile.c -lthread */ #define _REENTRANT #include <thread.h> #include <stdio.h> main() { printf("thr_min_stack() returns %u ",thr_min_stack()); } ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 12 May 1998 thr_min_stack(3C)