Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Have a basic 'for i in cat list' - Trying to get i to be set to a name with a space Post 302150515 by littlefrog on Tuesday 11th of December 2007 04:53:21 PM
Old 12-11-2007
Have a basic 'for i in cat list' - Trying to get i to be set to a name with a space

Hi

Have a file called ldap.list:

"o=unix forum"
o=groups

i wrote a basic script that runs:

for i in `cat ldap.list`

do

ldapsearch -h host -p 389 -b $i

THE PROBLEM: - It looks like when the for i in cat ldap.list runs, it doesn't seem to care about the " ", it treats the space as a new line return, so if you just try to run a 'for i in ldap.list, grep $i' - you get

o=unix
forms

rather than - "o=unix forums"

I need to keep the " " in tact.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-littlefrog

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

PhPMyAdmin basic set up on SUSE linux 9.1

Hey, I was wondering if anybody could help me setup my PhpMyAdmin on my SUSE linux 9.1 machine. I want to use it to access MySQL server instead of the defualt MySQLCC-Console Manager. I have not tried yet but i have done a such and it's installed in one of the folders. I would like to point... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: sybella1
15 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat: write error: No space left on device

I am trying to create new files under my directory...but i getting the following message... cat: write error: No space left on device How do we handle this error. I am not getting this error when I login as the super user (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: igandu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic cat replace string

trying to exclude hostnames ending in "s" from a host file: # cat hosts ssef ssefd ssefsfff ssefsfs # for x in `cat hosts`; do echo "${x/*s}" ;done ef efd fff # How can I echo/or not echo only 'ssefsfs' ?? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

got a basic doubt on cat-file permissions

Hi all, Today I was just fooling around with directories and faced this. I create a directory 'testdir' and create a file 'myfile' inside it. gandalf@gondor:~$ mkdir testdir gandalf@gondor:~$ cd testdir gandalf@gondor:~/testdir$ touch myfile Then I set the following permissions for the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

The best way to skin a cat OR how do I get file system info on the most basic level?

Hi, We have an FTP server (vsftpd) running on Linux, that I've kinda built a "Data Management" system around. I could use some ideas as to the best way to handle/create "triggers" for file notifications. Internal users drag 'n drop files from their Windows boxes to the server via Samba... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a list @list by space delimiter so i can access it by using $list[0 ..1..2]

EDIT : This is for perl @data2 = grep(/$data/, @list_now); This gives me @data2 as Printing data2 11 testzone1 running /zones/testzone1 ***-*****-****-*****-***** native shared But I really cant access data2 by its individual elements. $data2 is the entire list, while $data,2,3...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shriyer
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in using cat and ended up with no space error in aix

While doing cat on a large file (3 GB file) , I am getting the no space error in the shell script hugefile.sh. Eg: for i in `cat hugefile.txt` do echo "$i" done error: hugefile.sh: no space Please let me know your thoughts in handling this no space issue. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with cat long list of file

I have long list of input file's content that I plan to "cat" all of the content into another output file. The total input file is around 20,000 which all named with ".txt" Below is the command that I try: cat *.txt > all_file.out -bash: /usr/bin/sudo: Cannot allocate memory Unfortunately,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want non-interpretation of blank space using cat

I have a file say ADCD which is like following--> Please consider 'z' as space #cat ADCD <!--Yzzz|z--> <!--Nzzzzz--> Now I want to store the content of this file to a variable say VAR like this--> #VAR=`cat ADCD` #echo $VAR <!--Yz|z--> <!--Nz--> Now I don' t want the variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muchyog
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to add space in front of cat values?

Hi, Hope you are all doing fine. The problem today i faced during my coding was i wanted to add a space equals to a tab character in front of all the lines which i am cat using tee command. Main file contents mainfile ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad man
4 Replies
SLAPO-PBIND(5)							File Formats Manual						    SLAPO-PBIND(5)

NAME
slapo-pbind - proxy bind overlay to slapd SYNOPSIS
/etc/ldap/slapd.conf DESCRIPTION
The pbind overlay to slapd(8) forwards Simple Binds on a local database to a remote LDAP server instead of processing them locally. The remote connection is managed using an instance of the ldap backend. The pbind overlay uses a subset of the ldap backend's config directives. They are described in more detail in slapd-ldap(5). Note: this overlay is built into the ldap backend; it is not a separate module. overlay pbind This directive adds the proxy bind overlay to the current backend. The proxy bind overlay may be used with any backend, but it is mainly intended for use with local storage backends. uri <ldapurl> LDAP server to use. tls <TLS parameters> Specify the use of TLS. network-timeout <time> Set the network timeout. quarantine <quarantine parameters> Turns on quarantine of URIs that returned LDAP_UNAVAILABLE. FILES
/etc/ldap/slapd.conf default slapd configuration file SEE ALSO
slapd.conf(5), slapd-config(5), slapd-ldap(5), slapd(8). AUTHOR
Howard Chu OpenLDAP 2012/04/23 SLAPO-PBIND(5)