Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers shortcut for tar cvf - [filename] | gzip > [filename].tar.gz Post 302150510 by bcamp1973 on Tuesday 11th of December 2007 04:45:08 PM
Old 12-11-2007
ah, cool...thanks! Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

using TAR -cvf test.tar "HELP"

Ok, I use the command tar -cvf /home/output/test.tar /home/input on one UNIX server, lets call it sneezy. I FTP the tared file over to another server, lets call it bashful. Use the tar -xvf test.tar command and get a error indicating that it is looking for the same directory as where the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wev
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using Tar -cvf file.tar "Need Help"

Ok, I use the command tar -cvf ~kw4691/output/test.tar ~kw4691/input on one UNIX server, lets call it sneezy. I FTP the tared file over to another server, lets call it bashful. Use the tar -xvf test.tar command and get the error ~kw4691/input "could not create the directory" /hom/dev/sy40... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wev
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar/gzip/gz...which one to use?

P0251WLADC.svm_wl1 > /svm_wl1/billing/data/server/archive/ALLEVT $ du -k FEB2006 22050224 FEB2006 As you can see,i have a folder called "FEB2006" which is around 22 GB. i guess zip or compress wont work...( i don know how do we compress a folder) i wished to use ""tar" ( i suppose... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhijeetkul
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar and gzip

Hi, I would like to have a combined gzip and tar that will compress and create multiple output tar.gz files. I want to have multiple files output because i cannot create an archive because there is no more space on my harddisk. I cannot transfer it locally because of slow connection. I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gzip filename?

Hi, I want to be able to gzip a file but keep its original name and not give it a .gz extension. And then gunzip the file to the same name as well. Is this possible? Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goochalba
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Jar/Tar to a diffent folder/same folder w/ filename

Hi, I want to extract myfile.war to a folder which is in the same folder with war file.I did this as normal: jar -xvf myfile.war But it exploded all the content of file to the same level folder instead of that I was expecting to create a folder called myfile. This works with tar: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reis3k
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bus error while using command tar -cvf

Hi, I am working on a mac OSX machine. I am getting bus error :confused: when i use the command tar -cvf file1.tar file1 What could be the reason for this?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shweeths
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies
XScreenSaver(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   XScreenSaver(1)

NAME
halo - draw circular interference patterns SYNOPSIS
halo [-display host:display.screen] [-foreground color] [-background color] [-window] [-root] [-mono] [-install] [-visual visual] [-delay seconds] [-random boolean] [-ncolors int] [-offset int] DESCRIPTION
The moire program draws cool circular interference patterns. OPTIONS
moire accepts the following options: -window Draw on a newly-created window. This is the default. -root Draw on the root window. -mono If on a color display, pretend we're on a monochrome display. -install Install a private colormap for the window. -visual visual Specify which visual to use. Legal values are the name of a visual class, or the id number (decimal or hex) of a specific visual. -delay seconds How long to wait before starting over. Default 5 seconds. -random boolean Whether to ignore the foreground/background colors, and pick them randomly instead. -offset integer The maximum random radius increment to use. -ncolors integer How many colors should be allocated in the color ramp (note that this value interacts with offset.) ENVIRONMENT
DISPLAY to get the default host and display number. XENVIRONMENT to get the name of a resource file that overrides the global resources stored in the RESOURCE_MANAGER property. SEE ALSO
X(1), xscreensaver(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1997 by Jamie Zawinski. Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation. No representations are made about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty. AUTHOR
Jamie Zawinski <jwz@jwz.org>, 27-Apr-97, based on code by Michael D. Bayne <mdb@go2net.com>. X Version 11 27-Apr-97 XScreenSaver(1)