Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I need help with a basic script Post 302150243 by idle on Monday 10th of December 2007 06:01:34 PM
Old 12-10-2007
here's the original text before he edited it:

Quote:
Assume you have a file that contains text. This file can be a news article,
essay, ... that contains regular words from the English language.

Write a C-shell script that prompts the user for the name of the text file to be examined.

Output is:

a) Total number of words in the file.

b) Total number of different words in the file.

I should use the translate command

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with basic unix script

What I am supposed to do is creat a menu with the following Find a song Find a album Sort by artist Delete a song Add a new song Quit Now the file with the song information is database Here is what I have so far #!/bin/bash #================================================= #Script Name:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stp0052
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic script?

All, I have a list of over 400 users that need certain directories created. These will be created in /users/$username on a system and I need a directory called chess under these directories that I create. Instead of me manually adding each one (mkdir /users/user1, mkdir /users/user1/chess)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a basic script

Hi everybody :( :confused: :D, I need someone to help me! I have a file with 4 colunms and I would like to transform only the 4th colunm by multiplying this by a constant value (i.e 0.3047). I'm a new one using/creating basic scripts and I'm using linux redhat. The file has the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Estanislau
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a basic script

Hi everybody :( :confused: :D, I need someone to help me! I have a file with 4 colunms and I would like to transform only the 4th colunm by multiplying this by a constant value (i.e 0.3047). I'm a new one using/creating basic scripts and I'm using linux redhat. The file has the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Estanislau
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic script question

I'm trying to approach a problem but all I'm coming up with are complex ways to manipulate the data. But still not getting the desired outcome. directory of files.... file-100-foo file-100-man file-100-chu Need to copy the files and increment the number in the file name ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suphawk
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic shell script help

Im trying to make a script that simply adds a word to the last available line in a txt file without overwriting any previous lines. Ive googled this and there are great examples but no one explain what each function does, and i dont entirely understand how it works. Basically Im looking for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylecn
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with basic script - not working..

Here is the script I wrote... Pls. help. #!/bin/ksh for SERVER in NEWSNYD403P NEWSNYD404P SNEWSNYD601P SNEWSNYD602P SNEWSDNY603P SNEWSNYD604P do /usr/bin/scp "/home/sam/bash.tar root@$SERVER":/tmp done Error msg I get: ./scp_script.sh: syntax error at line 3:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a little help with my first shell script. Basic image resize script...

Hey everyone, just now joined because I didn't want to go onto Ubuntu forums and start asking about how to write shell scripts. Seems like this is a pretty active forum for exactly what I need. I'm trying to modify a shell script I found online, the end goal is to have it find all files in the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mozzles
9 Replies
WORDS(5)						     Linux Programmers Manual							  WORDS(5)

NAME
french - a list of french words DESCRIPTION
/usr/share/dict/french is an ASCII file which contains an alphabetic list of words, one per line. FILES
/etc/alternatives/dictionary is a symbolic link to a /usr/share/dict/<language> file. /usr/share/dict/words is a symbolic link to /etc/alternatives/dictionary, and is the name by which other software should refer to the system word list. See update-alternatives(8) for more information. The directory /usr/share/dict can contain word lists for many languages, with name of the language in English, e.g., /usr/share/dict/ameri- can-english and /usr/share/dict/danish contain respectively lists of English and Danish words if they exist. Such lists should be coded using the ISO 8859-1 character set encoding. SEE ALSO
ispell(1), update-alternatives(8), and the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. HISTORY
The words lists are not specific, and may be generated from any number of sources. AUTHOR
Word lists are collected and maintained by various authors. Linux 29 Sept 1998 WORDS(5)