Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep question.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep question. Post 302150234 by saurabhsinha23 on Monday 10th of December 2007 05:20:52 PM
Old 12-10-2007
Bug

Thanks for your response. It worked. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep question

what is the format for grep if I want to search from the current directory and through all its subdirectories?:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkappaz
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Question

Hello Everybody, I have files; yyyymmdd.log which the data look like this; "Txid=9426043&MsgTxt=Thankyou&UserId=john&Password=jh2501" "Txid=9426150&MsgTxt=Thankyou&UserId=john&Password=jh2501" . . . "Txid=9426200&MsgTxt=Thankyou&UserId=john&Password=jh2501" Question 1: How to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nazri76
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep question

hello people, All my servers have 4 mounts with this norme. For example, if my hostname is siroe. df -h | grep `hostname` /dev/dsk/c1t3d0s6 404G 399G 800M 100% /siroe3 /dev/dsk/c1t2d0s6 404G 399G 800M 100% /siroe2 /dev/md/dsk/d6 20G 812M 19G ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep question

Instead of using the following command #dmesg | grep -v sendmail | grep -v xntpd How can I use just one grep -v and give both arguments. Please suggest thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep question

Hello, Is there a way in grep to remember patterns? For eg: int a,b,c,d,a; If a variable is declared twice, like in the previous example, I should be able to print only those lines. Is there a way to print only the lines where the variable name occurs more than once, using grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep question please

i have files with "DOMAINSOLVER ACMS" with any number of spaces in between the two words on its own line and i can find it with the following: grep -c "DOMAINSOLVER* ACMS" $FILENAMEbut i need to exclude any lines matching: "$DOMAINSOLVER". i've tried a variety of quoting and escaping with no luck.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about grep

can anyone tell me what the \/$ means? from grep \/$ (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about grep

is there anyway i can ask grep to only get the first line? as in the top command line line 1 <-- just grep this line line 2 line 3 ---------- Post updated at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:19 PM ---------- nvm.. found out that i can do it with |head (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on grep

Hello all, I'm trying to grep the string "scott" from all files whose names are like srvr*.log and that were created "Nov 15"...I'm trying the following command but throws an error message...seems like the syntax is incorrect.. grep scott < ls -l srvr*.log|grep "Nov 15" Thanks for your... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Question

My grep returns a row of data like this: 75=20130130;60=074338;61=985;511=55473883;452=115439;62=196;267=1; Is there a way for the grep to only return 60="something" and 511="something" ? Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carl2013
10 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)