Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep question.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep question. Post 302150203 by saurabhsinha23 on Monday 10th of December 2007 03:06:56 PM
Old 12-10-2007
Grep question.

Hi,

I am executing the below command.

grep ".UPDATE" file1.txt | grep -v MQQUEUE > Myprog1

The expected output is all lines in file1.txt which have the string ".UPDATE" and dont contain the string MQQUEUE.

However, the output which I am getting is just searching for the string "UPDATE" instead of ".UPDATE".

Please advise where I am going wrong.

TIA.
Saurabh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep question

what is the format for grep if I want to search from the current directory and through all its subdirectories?:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkappaz
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Question

Hello Everybody, I have files; yyyymmdd.log which the data look like this; "Txid=9426043&MsgTxt=Thankyou&UserId=john&Password=jh2501" "Txid=9426150&MsgTxt=Thankyou&UserId=john&Password=jh2501" . . . "Txid=9426200&MsgTxt=Thankyou&UserId=john&Password=jh2501" Question 1: How to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nazri76
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep question

hello people, All my servers have 4 mounts with this norme. For example, if my hostname is siroe. df -h | grep `hostname` /dev/dsk/c1t3d0s6 404G 399G 800M 100% /siroe3 /dev/dsk/c1t2d0s6 404G 399G 800M 100% /siroe2 /dev/md/dsk/d6 20G 812M 19G ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep question

Instead of using the following command #dmesg | grep -v sendmail | grep -v xntpd How can I use just one grep -v and give both arguments. Please suggest thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep question

Hello, Is there a way in grep to remember patterns? For eg: int a,b,c,d,a; If a variable is declared twice, like in the previous example, I should be able to print only those lines. Is there a way to print only the lines where the variable name occurs more than once, using grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep question please

i have files with "DOMAINSOLVER ACMS" with any number of spaces in between the two words on its own line and i can find it with the following: grep -c "DOMAINSOLVER* ACMS" $FILENAMEbut i need to exclude any lines matching: "$DOMAINSOLVER". i've tried a variety of quoting and escaping with no luck.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about grep

can anyone tell me what the \/$ means? from grep \/$ (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about grep

is there anyway i can ask grep to only get the first line? as in the top command line line 1 <-- just grep this line line 2 line 3 ---------- Post updated at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:19 PM ---------- nvm.. found out that i can do it with |head (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on grep

Hello all, I'm trying to grep the string "scott" from all files whose names are like srvr*.log and that were created "Nov 15"...I'm trying the following command but throws an error message...seems like the syntax is incorrect.. grep scott < ls -l srvr*.log|grep "Nov 15" Thanks for your... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Question

My grep returns a row of data like this: 75=20130130;60=074338;61=985;511=55473883;452=115439;62=196;267=1; Is there a way for the grep to only return 60="something" and 511="something" ? Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carl2013
10 Replies
UPDATE(7)							   SQL Commands 							 UPDATE(7)

NAME
UPDATE - update rows of a table SYNOPSIS
UPDATE [ ONLY ] table SET col = expression [, ...] [ FROM fromlist ] [ WHERE condition ] INPUTS table The name (optionally schema-qualified) of an existing table. If ONLY is specified, only that table is updated. If ONLY is not speci- fied, the table and all its descendant tables (if any) are updated. * can be appended to the table name to indicate that descendant tables are to be scanned, but in the current version, this is the default behavior. (In releases before 7.1, ONLY was the default behavior.) The default can be altered by changing the SQL_INHERITANCE configuration option. column The name of a column in table. expression A valid expression or value to assign to column. fromlist A PostgreSQL non-standard extension to allow columns from other tables to appear in the WHERE condition. condition Refer to the SELECT statement for a further description of the WHERE clause. OUTPUTS UPDATE # Message returned if successful. The # means the number of rows updated. If # is 0 no rows are updated. DESCRIPTION
UPDATE changes the values of the columns specified for all rows which satisfy condition. Only the columns to be modified need appear as columns in the statement. Array references use the same syntax found in SELECT [select(7)]. That is, either single array elements, a range of array elements or the entire array may be replaced with a single query. You must have write access to the table in order to modify it, as well as read access to any table whose values are mentioned in the WHERE condition. By default UPDATE will update tuples in the table specified and all its sub-tables. If you wish to only update the specific table men- tioned, you should use the ONLY clause. USAGE
Change word Drama with Dramatic on column kind: UPDATE films SET kind = 'Dramatic' WHERE kind = 'Drama'; SELECT * FROM films WHERE kind = 'Dramatic' OR kind = 'Drama'; code | title | did | date_prod | kind | len -------+---------------+-----+------------+----------+------- BL101 | The Third Man | 101 | 1949-12-23 | Dramatic | 01:44 P_302 | Becket | 103 | 1964-02-03 | Dramatic | 02:28 M_401 | War and Peace | 104 | 1967-02-12 | Dramatic | 05:57 T_601 | Yojimbo | 106 | 1961-06-16 | Dramatic | 01:50 DA101 | Das Boot | 110 | 1981-11-11 | Dramatic | 02:29 COMPATIBILITY
SQL92 SQL92 defines a different syntax for the positioned UPDATE statement: UPDATE table SET column = expression [, ...] WHERE CURRENT OF cursor where cursor identifies an open cursor. SQL - Language Statements 2002-11-22 UPDATE(7)