Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What is FIN/ACK/SYN
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users What is FIN/ACK/SYN Post 302150138 by sysgate on Monday 10th of December 2007 09:34:39 AM
Old 12-10-2007
RFC 793 describes TCP and its specifics.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Getting an ACK for RAW SYN packet

Hi, I'm trying to create a RAW TCP SYN packet and send it from one Linux machine to another. I know the packet I have created is well formed and is received by the peer. Now what I want is to get an ACK for my SYN. I want the peer's Network protocol stack to send me an ACK for that. I know... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: zampya
17 Replies

2. Linux

Security issue with TCP SYN packets on Linux

Hi all, A security scanner has been done on a linux server and have found that The remote host does not discard RCP SYN packets which have the FIN flag set. It tells that I need to request a patch which I haven't found yet. I have Red Hat Linux release 7.0 (Guinness) Kernel 2.2.16-22... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bert.n
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ACK! Help! What do I do?

Hiya folks, I am a windows xp home user and for awhile I have been thinking about changing my OS, the only problem is that I don't know where to start. Is it called Unix or Linux? Are they the same thing? It's really confusing. I would really appreaciate some help on this. I have looked all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mr_Pinky
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

syn

suppose I have data in a log file in the below format date|time|name|email|address|SSN date|time|name|email|address|SSN date|time|name|email|address|SSN is it possible to create a search engine which takes input as three filters out of which two filters should be optional? say i give... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wannalearn
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find -cmin or fin -newer

I am running SUSE/8 and SUSE/9 on a high end server (4 CPU, 8G RAM etc) I have a huge directory structure with over 4million files in it. I have find the files that are modified (created, modified, renamed etc etc) in the last 10 minutes periodically. I have tried "find -cmin -10" and "find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xxxyyyy
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

plug in for syn on

I am using vim version 7.1.314.It don't have syn on.Is there any plug in available for syn on or I have to update the version. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthigayan
2 Replies

7. Solaris

TCP SYN timer

Can anybody please tell me how I can figure out on a solaris server how long it would take a TCP SYN request to timeout before it gets a SYN_ACK back? Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

Getting Iptables New not syn log message more time

Hi guys, I having Iptables log message. It's coming more time. It's can't handle to linux squid. Firewall -> 192.168.102.2 <iptables> squid -> 192.168.102.2 <transparent proxy (port 3128)> error -> Jul 21 23:58:16 mig New not syn:IN= OUT=eth0 SRC=192.168.102.2 DST=192.168.102.96... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasindu
0 Replies

9. IP Networking

TCP Same Ack Sequencing for Two Packets

I was analyzing a TCP snoop. And found following scenario From Server to Client ---> SEQ 2993 ACK 1744 WIN 8192 LEN 13 From Server to Client ---> SEQ 3006 ACK 1744 WIN 8192 LEN 13 From Client to server --> SEQ 1744 ACK 3019 WIN 3304 I just want to know Why Packet 1 and 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_deb
3 Replies
BLACKHOLE(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 					      BLACKHOLE(4)

NAME
blackhole -- a sysctl(8) MIB for manipulating behaviour in respect of refused TCP or UDP connection attempts SYNOPSIS
sysctl net.inet.tcp.blackhole[=[0 | 1 | 2]] sysctl net.inet.udp.blackhole[=[0 | 1]] DESCRIPTION
The blackhole sysctl(8) MIB is used to control system behaviour when connection requests are received on TCP or UDP ports where there is no socket listening. Normal behaviour, when a TCP SYN segment is received on a port where there is no socket accepting connections, is for the system to return a RST segment, and drop the connection. The connecting system will see this as a ``Connection refused''. By setting the TCP blackhole MIB to a numeric value of one, the incoming SYN segment is merely dropped, and no RST is sent, making the system appear as a blackhole. By setting the MIB value to two, any segment arriving on a closed port is dropped without returning a RST. This provides some degree of protection against stealth port scans. In the UDP instance, enabling blackhole behaviour turns off the sending of an ICMP port unreachable message in response to a UDP datagram which arrives on a port where there is no socket listening. It must be noted that this behaviour will prevent remote systems from running traceroute(8) to a system. The blackhole behaviour is useful to slow down anyone who is port scanning a system, attempting to detect vulnerable services on a system. It could potentially also slow down someone who is attempting a denial of service attack. WARNING
The TCP and UDP blackhole features should not be regarded as a replacement for firewall solutions. Better security would consist of the blackhole sysctl(8) MIB used in conjunction with one of the available firewall packages. This mechanism is not a substitute for securing a system. It should be used together with other security mechanisms. SEE ALSO
ip(4), tcp(4), udp(4), ipf(8), ipfw(8), pfctl(8), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The TCP and UDP blackhole MIBs first appeared in FreeBSD 4.0. AUTHORS
Geoffrey M. Rehmet BSD
January 1, 2007 BSD