Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help - NCR Unix 3.02 MP-RAS
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Help - NCR Unix 3.02 MP-RAS Post 302149933 by cer on Sunday 9th of December 2007 03:41:20 AM
Old 12-09-2007
NCR Unix 3.02 MP-RAS - disk layout

Semi-short answer:
You need to reinstall. The disk partition in which your MP-RAS image
resides in, is too small to add any -additional- filesystems and there
are no tools to dynamically grow your VxFS filesystems. Moreover,
the version of MP-RAS you're using doesn't "see" other disk partitions
on the -same- disk (so you can't just create other disk partitions on
the 35G disk and add new filesystems there). If you can't re-install
for some reason (lost CD or license diskettes), you can add a new
drive to the system and MP-RAS will recognized the new drive (once
you reboot (or run ``mktable''), then use ``sysadm'' to create new
filesystems.

Comments:
I'm not aware of any NCR (or Teradata) sponsored installation that
would appear this way. If I were to guess, the 2G drive(s) died and
the next smallest drives available were 35G so those were used.
Notably, you're missing ``/var'', ``/opt'', and ``/usr'' which are fairly
standard on all NCR UNIX (MP-RAS) installations.

The following message is particularly broken (but fixed in much later
versions of MP-RAS) and output by the ``dfspace'' command:

Total Disk Space: 84.45 MB of 912.39 MB available ( 9.26%).

MP-RAS (until recently) assumed it owned the entire disk whenever
it was installed, and to that end, was installed in so-called "no-compat"
mode. Thus, it only "knows" about the drive to the extent of the disk
partition it which it resides (was installed) in.

Last edited by cer; 12-09-2007 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: Mis-read block count used for root filesystem

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xntpd on NCR unix

Hi, I'm having these errors when using xntpd on ncr unix. synchronisation lost Feb 25 09:10:14 in.xntpd: Previous time adjustment didn't complete Can anyone help me on this. Is it an issue with the time delay as the reference time servers are on different sites and the ping response is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bert.n
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NCR MP-RAS 3.02 Root Password

I've just inherited the support of 3 NCR Servers running NCR MP-RAS 3.02 UNIX OS and it looks as though the previous support analyst (who as left the company) has kindly changed all 3 root passwords. Also there are no installation / boot cd's and the etc/passwd directory can only be updated by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bruv
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MP-RAS Unix and NFS

Hi, I would like to know if It's possible configure NFS on MP-RAS Unix so mountd uses a static port instead of a dynamic one. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cuatrodos
1 Replies

4. Infrastructure Monitoring

NCR unix snmp agent

Good Day, I have requirement to monitor a number of NCR unix server for our unix team. As the System Management product that we use in out company does not have an agent for NCR unix I am investigating the SNMP route. I got the unix guys to enable SNMP however, it seems the default MIB that is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: priteshj
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

Changing IP address on NCR UNIX

Can someone assist please. I am trying to change IP address on NCR UNIX using tcpconfig but the address wont change!! Using ifconfig -a I still see the old address! This is on an NCR S24 server. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vusi Boutu
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

NCR Unix MP-RAS - Mail not working

I am getting the following error when I send mail to any domain say abc123@xyz.com Not delivered to :due to 11 transfer failure (mail: Error #22 'Surrogate command failed ', rc =11) En Route to: xyz.com!abc123 =======surrogate command========== :/user/bin/uux -username -xyz.com!rmail... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rush143
13 Replies

7. IP Networking

MP-RAS Unix Networking Setup

I have an MP-RAS unix server from ncr. We are trying to get the network configured so that we may transer files between the unix box and a pc. I have used the included TCPCONFIG command to setup the network, however I can not ping, telnet or ftp to any other pcs on the network. Any help would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rutgerncas
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Equivalent of mmin in MP-RAS/NCR Unix

Hi, i created a script to look for the modified files in the last 15 minutes. But later was told that the server that we need to implement this script is an MP-RAS (NCR Unix) server on which i found mmin option of the find command doesnt work.:wall: Can anybody please let me know the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: utkarsh
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NCR UNIX help

Dear all I'm trying to virtualize NCR on UBUNTU host . I need a help ,I'm new to UNIX world . If any one ca send me step by step guide , I'll appreciate this very much . Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: semerouk
3 Replies

10. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Ncr UNIX

let me know to create a new partition on ncr unix with vxfs filesystem (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: venikathir
0 Replies
installboot(1M) 														   installboot(1M)

NAME
installboot - install bootblocks in a disk partition SYNOPSIS
installboot bootblk raw-disk-device The boot(1M) program, ufsboot, is loaded from disk by the bootblock program which resides in the boot area of a disk partition. The ufs boot objects are platform-dependent, and reside in the /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory. The platform name can be found using the -i option of uname(1). The installboot utility is a SPARC only program. It is not supported on the architecture. users should use installgrub(1M) instead. bootblk The name of the bootblock code. raw-disk-device The name of the disk device onto which the bootblock code is to be installed; it must be a character device which is read- able and writable. Naming conventions for a SCSI or IPI drive are c?t?d?s? and c?d?s? for an IDE drive. Example 1: Installing UFS Boot Block To install a ufs boot block on slice 0 of target 0 on controller 1 of the platform where the command is being run, use: example# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory where ufs boot objects reside. /platform/platform-name/ufsboot second level program to boot from a disk or CD See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ od(1), uname(1), boot(1M), init(1M), kadb(1M), kernel(1M), monitor(1M), reboot(1M), rpc.bootparamd(1M), init.d(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
The installboot utility fails if the bootblk or openfirmware files do not exist or if the raw disk device is not a character device. 11 Apr 2005 installboot(1M)