Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pause needed for corn shell
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers pause needed for corn shell Post 302149879 by dennysavard on Saturday 8th of December 2007 01:27:47 PM
Old 12-08-2007
Question pause needed for corn shell

I need a user pause for a script file, like the pause command in dos. please help I thought it was the corn shell it is csh.

Last edited by dennysavard; 12-08-2007 at 08:41 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to pause another process?

I guess I posted in wrong forum before. How do I pause another process and then restart it on linux? The other process doesn't listen for anything. Thanks for any help you can offer. Dane :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daneensign
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CORN job

Hello, How can i check? How many corn jobs are running? Thanks Raghu.K (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghuk2
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

the shell not pause when execute read command

Hi, i facing a problem when run the script below.. while do if then printf "Please enter a name : " read response # the problem occur here if then ea_ident=${omc_ident} else # # Check that name does not contain invalid... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: neruppu
14 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pause() problems

well is gets stuck and i dont know why....... pid=fork(); if(pid==0) { pause(); write(1,"child",5); exit(0); } else { sleep(1); kill(pid,SIGCONT); write(1,"parent",5); wait(0); } all=1; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IdleProc
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie question-do I pause and exec my shell scripts?

Hi there, I'm writing a script to restore 3 directories and 3 mysql db's every 24 hours. While writing the script, I came across the thought... Do I need to pause between executions? Example: msql restore1.sql rm -Rf path1/* cp -Rf path1/* /restore1 chmod 777 /folder1/cache1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: semiotics101
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pause a shell script

Hi, I've written a shell script to take photos with my camera. After every picture taken, the picture is transmitted to the computer via usb and then deleted on the camera. But sometimes there's an error and the picture is not deleted and so, after a certain time, the camera chip will be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: McLennon
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort output is different with Corn

Hi, I am sorting a file, but getting different output with crontab. input file-file z Z x X y Y when I sort manually sort file x X y Y z Z (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pause shell script till folder doesn't change size anymore

Hi, I recently would like to write a shell script that 1. Runs in the background (can be done with "&", but i'd be happy for other solutions to keep programs running) 2. Does its stuff 3 THEN checks a specified folder for a size change over time (say, each 5 seconds. AND ONLY continues with... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Schedule a corn job

Hi, I new to cron job... I need to schedule a job that runs on a particular day at a specific time say for example need to send a test mail at around 2:30PM on wed 10th August i have used the below syntax, but the job was not executed. 30 14 * * * echo "message from UNIX... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ch33ry
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pause before exit

6) printf "\n GoodBye! \n\n"; exit ;; I am trying modify the above command to pause a couple of seconds before exiting, so a message can be displayed. Thank you :). (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)