Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with ext3 partition
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Problem with ext3 partition Post 302149847 by digjam on Saturday 8th of December 2007 05:35:53 AM
Old 12-08-2007
Problem with ext3 partition

I accidentally deleted one of my ext3 partitions from Windows XP. However, since I did not make new partitions over it, or format that area, I guess my data is safe. So I made a new partition with the same cylinder boundary values using fdisk (in Linux). But I cannot access my old data on that partition [on Linux I'm not able to mount it]. How do i recover my data? (the data is important to me) Pls help.

[Here's how I lost my partition, if that info will be of any use. I use a control panel extension called IFS Drives in WinXP to access my ext3 partitions. I used the Hard disk management on Windows to delete a FAT
partition, without unmounting my ext3 partitions. After deleting the FAT
partition, one of my ext3 partitions was gone too! I tried changing the partition type id of the newly salvaged partition to 7 (which is the ID of NTFS partitions) to see whether I could access the partition on Windows at least that way. But then Windows says the partition is unformatted, and asks me whether I want to partition it.]

Thanks in advance.
Dany.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SCO 5.05 partition problem

Hardware: IBM 300PL 32MB RAM 60Gig HDD During the phase in SCO installation where I get to partition my hard disk, SCO only seems to see 8Gig out of the 60 that I have. Does anyone out there know of a utility or what I need to do to make the the whole 60Gig available. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: budrito
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting an Ext3 partition...

I'm trying to delete my red hat partitions so I can restructure my computer's hard drive. I want to delete the Boot, /, and Swapspace partitions so I can rearrange my drive and install some other systems. In partition magic when I attempt to delete the Ext3 partitions, it reads as not being able to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djtrippin
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem re-formatting Disk Partition

I have a disk formatted as follows. Part Flag Tag Cylinders Size =================================================== 0 wm root 0 - 38125 26.18 Gb 1 wu swap 38126 - 49776 8 Gb 2 wm backup 0 - 49779 34.18 Gb 3 wm unassigned 4 wm unassigned 5 wm unassigned 6 wm unassigned... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

umount(ing) LVM ext3 partition problem

I am using RHEL4 OS and the problem i have is that when i try to umount an LVM implemented partition after checking the properties of the mounted folder it gives the error of device busy . things iam not doing : iam not in the mounted woulder either by shell or by GUI. thing iam not trying do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tahir Saleh
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partition Permission Problem

I am using a PowerBook G4 with OS X 10.4.11. While modifying permissions using the Finder Info window on what I thought was a folder on a data partition, I inadvertently changed the permissions for the entire partition instead of the folder. Now I cannot access that partition nor any folders or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bunky6767
3 Replies

6. Linux

problem to format linux partition

hi friends one week ago, i have installed fedoa 9 on my home pc. i already have windows xp on that machine. unfortunately my windows xp has corrupted. again i want to install windows xp but it is not installing. will i format my linux partition or some other option is there. please help me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneshmishra08
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Problem with Solaris Partition, I cant see it

Hi All, First post, I work as database developer (Oracle) My task is to setup a solaris system on a VMware installation which sits on a x86 server. I have installed the Os, applied patches (I think) and on VMWARE I added new hardware (Disk) which is where my database will be. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: platforminc
5 Replies

8. AIX

Partition offset problem after re-mirror vg

We had a mirrored disk failed (not the rootvg), there are 3 lvs (transfer, applogs, arch) from extvg gone open/stale state. After replaced failed disk and run cfgmgr, the new replaced disk is visible: ) I did the following to re-mirror new disk: # extendvg prodvg hdisk3 # lspv (got new pvid on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalite19
2 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Recovery of formatted ext3 partition

Hi! I have a really big problem right now. I (accidently) formatted a ext3 partition with "mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1". The problem is that I REALLY need some files from there. The partition had a size of about 4GB, after accidently formatting it, I accidently rewrote Grub on it :wall: I hope I didn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: al0x
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

The problem in the new partition

hi I created a new partition ls -l /dev/sda* brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 Oct 21 12:29 /dev/sda brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 1 Oct 12 11:19 /dev/sda1 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 10 Oct 21 13:50 /dev/sda10 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 2 Oct 12 11:19 /dev/sda2 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 3 Oct... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnnn
3 Replies
KPARTX(8)						   Linux Administrator's Manual 						 KPARTX(8)

NAME
kpartx - Create device maps from partition tables SYNOPSIS
kpartx [-a | -d | -l] [-v] wholedisk DESCRIPTION
This tool, derived from util-linux' partx, reads partition tables on specified device and create device maps over partitions segments detected. It is called from hotplug upon device maps creation and deletion. OPTIONS
-a Add partition mappings -r Readonly partition mappings -r Read-only partition mappings -d Delete partition mappings -u Update partition mappings -l List partition mappings that would be added -a -p set device name-partition number delimiter -f force creation of mappings; overrides 'no_partitions' feature -g force GUID partition table (GPT) -v Operate verbosely -s Sync mode. Don't return until the partitions are created EXAMPLE
To mount all the partitions in a raw disk image: kpartx -av disk.img This will output lines such as: loop3p1 : 0 20964762 /dev/loop3 63 The loop3p1 is the name of a device file under /dev/mapper which you can use to access the partition, for example to fsck it: fsck /dev/mapper/loop3p1 When you're done, you need to remove the devices: kpartx -d disk.img SEE ALSO
multipath(8) multipathd(8) hotplug(8) AUTHORS
This man page was assembled By Patrick Caulfield for the Debian project. From documentation provided by the multipath author Christophe Varoqui, <christophe.varoqui@opensvc.com> and others. July 2006 KPARTX(8)