Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need help in Case Command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help in Case Command Post 302149763 by ramkrix on Friday 7th of December 2007 08:34:09 AM
Old 12-07-2007
see if your instances are like unix1, unix2 etc.. See you are changing last character by keeping the rest of the server instane name same. I want to know whether all the instance name you are having will having some common characters among them. If so, how many?

This is for my knowledge - how will you find the Server instance, I meant, what is the command?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Case statement/sed command

The file dbnames.txt has 5 columns, what i'm trying to do is that when the fifth column equals A, store in the variable "access" the word, "admin access". If it equals B, then "business access" etc. I think their is a problem with my sed command, because it is not substibstituting the words... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ross_one
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

case command inside awk/nawk

well I found lot of topics about awk..about if command in awk.. but I had to implement this: nawk -F"|" ' $47 ~ /0R0011/ { print > ("/home/user/M/MC.tmp" )} $47 ~ /0R0012/ { print > ("/home/user/M/DuSI.tmp" )} $47 ~ /0R0014/ { print > ("/home/user/M/FF.tmp" )} $47 ~ /0R0018/ { print >... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulaziz
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Including case insensitivity into loop command

I have the following piece of code: for file in *csv; do cat $file >> $newfile; done for file in *CSV; do cat $file >> $newfile; done and would like to know how to combine these two rules into one? The combined rule would then include the case insensitivity that I am looking for. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

more command case insensitive search ?

Hello, How do I set case insensitive search mode while the file is open with more command ? (I know -i option which could be used before opening) thanks Vilius (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

making sed command case insensitive

i have something like this in a file cat onlytables.sql create table NextID ( id int auto_increment, zoneID int, entityName varchar(64), nextID int, lastModified TIMESTAMP DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP ON UPDATE CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, primary... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command for a case insensitive search

Hi All, What is the command to search a file for a case-insensitive match 1.grep -nc text filename 2.grep -i text filename 3.grep -i filename text 4.grep -nc filename text 5.grep -c text filename Thanks for your help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case conversion within a command

Hi All, I need the variable to be set in both uppercase and lowercase in a single command DATABASE=ORCL something like the below which is absolutly wrong find /ora/admin/11.1.0/diag/rdbms/{print tolower($0)}${DATABASE}/{print toupper($0)}${DATABASE} The o/p should be as below:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjoy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clarification on Case command

Hi, I'm a newbie to shell programming and have just written a small program to transfer files. # job variables RunMode=$1 export DATETIME=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S` export STARTTIME=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M` export ShellDir=/rosetlt/scripts/ksh export LogDir=/rosetlt/scripts/log export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: narayanv
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help me in using case sensitive command

Hello All, Please help me with this I need to create a cronjob that should delete all files which are older than 30days with '*.txt' and should not delete files with '*TEST*.txt' either file name TEST is upper or test lower case sensitive here's the script /DIR -type f -name '*.txt'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krish_007
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to ignore Case with in COMM command?

Hi, How can i ignore case between 2 files in unix using COMM command. 2 input files are: -bash-4.1$ more x2.txt HELLO hi HI raj -bash-4.1$ more x3.txt hello hi raj COMM command: -bash-4.1$ comm x2.txt x3.txt hello HELLO hi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
3 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)