Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Answer them if u can...
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Answer them if u can... Post 302149726 by dreambig on Friday 7th of December 2007 05:22:41 AM
Old 12-07-2007
Answer them if u can...

Try to answer these questions on Unix:

1.what will be the segment() function do?
2.How Unix is more powerful than Windows?
3.Where ownership details will be stored of a particular file in Unix?
4.State different uses of ^ symbol in regular expressions.
5.What does export command used for?
6.Diff. between ordinary file & directory in terms of Unix file system.
7.Different Uses of set command.
8.What is the file .profile used for?
9.Write command to display : Friday,May 21,2006
10.Write grep command to select lines which start with capital letters.
11.How can u create hidden file?How can u see a list of hidden files?
12.What permissions a directory & its parent directory must have when u want to modify a file?
13.Use of $(string)?
14.How will u create a subshell?How will u move to parent shell after creating subshell?
15.what grep '^//*' tmpfile look for?
16.what does command grep "$SHELL$"/etc/passwd|cut -d:f1 do?
17.Write expr command to extract last 2 character of variable x.
18.Which command can be alternativel yused to achieve the purpose of run level 0?.Diff. between run level 1,2,3.
19.How device files are similar to ordinary files?which command is used to create a device file?
20.What type of linked list is used by kernel to maintain a free list of buffer?
21.What will happen when value of sem_op; whixh is no. of sembuf structure, is +ve?
22.While creating shared memory region, which system call is useful to specify its size?
23.Write a command to display only filenames of regular files having read & execute permission for user?
24.What does a shell process will do when we hit enter key after typing a command to be run?
25.What is back reference in sed?
26.Explain any 2 hold space command by giving example in sed.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

get system() answer ?

Hi , how can i get the system reply from a system() command ? is it possible to evaluate the return of a system command ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sven28
4 Replies

2. Programming

can any one answer ????

Q.1 Diffrence between terminal and pseudo-terminal ? Q.2 What is terminal login ? What is a netwok Login ? Q.3 What is meant by baud rate of a terminal ? Q.4 which structure is used for job control in Unix/Linux ?and where these structure are means in which directory ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobile01
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Can anybody answer this.....

Hi i am trying the threads concept in unix environment using C... but i am getting error of "wait_fd: Couldn't find procinfo for fd 24"... what does this error mean..... help me in solving this issue... Thanks in advance shivamasam (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivamasam
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is sed the answer?

Hey, I am very new to scripting and could use a bit of help. I have a situation where I have an ascii file and I want to delete all lines beneath a particular string. EXAMPLE: The contents of a file named example.txt looks like the following: JANUARY FEBRUARY MARCH APRIL MAY JUNE... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LaLonde
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quick answer

i know by posting this people are going to get mad at me but, when i try to download unix for my Windows XP i find a whole bunch of files that i dont know what to do with, so please help, sorry if this has already been posted... or is a stupid question :o (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DarkestEvil
9 Replies

6. Programming

How do I get system answer in c

How do I get the answer of a system call that is printed in the terminal? for example: I execute system("pwd"); and get the answer /home/user/ But because I need to send this result to somewhere, I need to store it in a string. Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldaran
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help me to answer this

Hello everyone I update my question. Thanks for your reply joeyg If I type the last command and send to a text file. I get this last >usuarios.txt root pts/0 160.40.35.277 May 22 11:08 still logged in. root pts/0 alopez02 May 22 09:23 - 10:11 (00:47) root pts/0 160.40.35.277 May 20... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

hi Please try to find an answer to this

Hi Friends, I have siebel installed in one of my aix machines and while opening a file it gives below error. $ vi SmSiebelSSO.conf History file has no read permission. q Please note the file has rwxr-xr-x for oracle:dba and i am trying to open using oracle id itself which is the owner... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DJ2176
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I welcome all to answer my Q's

Hi everyone,, I am new to the forum...but not to Unix. I have gathered few questions from my mates who attended interviews in various companies as I have to attend one on dec 3rd for Sys admin position. Please respond with the answers you know and also help with various other interview... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: impawan
2 Replies
runat(1)							   User Commands							  runat(1)

NAME
runat - execute command in extended attribute name space SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/runat file [command] DESCRIPTION
The runat utility is used to execute shell commands in a file's hidden attribute directory. Effectively, this utility changes the current working directory to be the hidden attribute directory associated with the file argument and then executes the specified command in the bourne shell (/bin/sh). If no command argument is provided, an interactive shell is spawned. The environment variable $SHELL defines the shell to be spawned. If this variable is undefined, the default shell, /bin/sh, is used. The file argument can be any file, including a directory, that can support extended attributes. It is not necessary that this file have any attributes, or be prepared in any way, before invoking the runat command. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file Any file, including a directory, that can support extended attributes. command The command to be executed in an attribute directory. ERRORS
A non-zero exit status will be returned if runat cannot access the file argument, or the file argument does not support extended attributes. USAGE
See fsattr(5) for a detailed description of extended file attributes. The process context created by the runat command has its current working directory set to the hidden directory containing the file's extended attributes. The parent of this directory (the ".." entry) always refers to the file provided on the command line. As such, it may not be a directory. Therefore, commands (such as pwd) that depend upon the parent entry being well-formed (that is, referring to a direc- tory) may fail. In the absence of the command argument, runat will spawn a new interactive shell with its current working directory set to be the provided file's hidden attribute directory. Notice that some shells (such as zsh and tcsh) are not well behaved when the directory parent is not a directory, as described above. These shells should not be used with runat. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using runat to list extended attributes on a file example% runat file.1 ls -l example% runat file.1 ls Example 2: Creating extended attributes example% runat file.2 cp /tmp/attrdata attr.1 example% runat file.2 cat /tmp/attrdata > attr.1 Example 3: Copying an attribute from one file to another example% runat file.2 cat attr.1 | runat file.1 "cat > attr.1" Example 4: Using runat to spawn an interactive shell example% runat file.3 /bin/sh This spawns a new shell in the attribute directory for file.3. Notice that the shell will not be able to determine what your current direc- tory is. To leave the attribute directory, either exit the spawned shell or change directory (cd) using an absolute path. Recommended methods for performing basic attribute operations: display runat file ls [options] read runat file cat attribute create/modify runat file cp absolute-file-path attribute delete runat file rm attribute permission changes runat file chmod mode attribute runat file chgrp group attribute runat file chown owner attribute interactive shell runat file /bin/sh or set your $SHELL to /bin/sh and runat file The above list includes commands that are known to work with runat. While many other commands may work, there is no guarantee that any beyond this list will work. Any command that relies on being able to determine its current working directory is likely to fail. Examples of such commands follow: Example 5: Using man in an attribute directory example% runat file.1 man runat getcwd: Not a directory Example 6: Spawning a tcsh shell in an attribute directory example% runat file.3 /usr/bin/tcsh tcsh: Not a directory tcsh: Trying to start from "/home/user" A new tcsh shell has been spawned with the current working directory set to the user's home directory. Example 7: Spawning a zsh shell in an attribute directory example% runat file.3 /usr/bin/zsh example% While the command appears to have worked, zsh has actually just changed the current working directory to '/'. This can be seen by using /bin/pwd: example% /bin/pwd / ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
SHELL Specifies the command shell to be invoked by runat. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 125 The attribute directory of the file referenced by the file argument cannot be accessed. 126 The exec of the provided command argument failed. Otherwise, the exit status returned is the exit status of the shell invoked to execute the provided command. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
open(2), attributes(5), fsattr(5) NOTES
It is not always obvious why a command fails in runat when it is unable to determine the current working directory. The errors resulting can be confusing and ambiguous (see the tcsh and zsh examples above). SunOS 5.10 22 Jun 2001 runat(1)