Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers man synopsis standard compliance Post 302149645 by drl on Thursday 6th of December 2007 07:18:45 PM
Old 12-06-2007
Hi.

Is this convincing?
Quote:
bold text type exactly as shown.
italic text replace with appropriate argument.
[-abc] any or all arguments within [ ] are optional.
-a|-b options delimited by | cannot be used together.
argument ... argument is repeatable.
[expression] ... entire expression within [ ] is repeatable.

The command or function illustration is a pattern that should match all
possible invocations. In some cases it is advisable to illustrate sev-
eral exclusive invocations as is shown in the SYNOPSIS section of this
manual page.

-- excerpt from GNU/Linux man man
I agree that consistency is to be valued - especially for a set of commands in a specific project -- however, {GNU/Linux, Solaris, other *nix}-universe consistency and consensus is unlikely in my opinion. It may even be undesirable -- too many rules have a chilling effect on innovation.

Your particular situation may be saying more about your developers than about the *nix universe.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sudo & Sox compliance

Hello, I am trying to convince my boss to stop allowing our users to login as root (superuser). Currently our users login to our unix server with their own account, then as needed, they will do an su and put in the root password. This scares me, for a bunch of reasons. Mainly, one is that we... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rwallaceisg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

standard error to standard out question

Hi there how can i get the result of a command to not give me its error. For example, on certain systems the 'zfs' command below is not available, but this is fine becaues I am testing against $? so i dont want to see the message " command not found" Ive tried outputting to /dev/null 2>&1 to no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Standard output and standard error into spreadsheet

Hey, I'm completely new at this and I was wondering if there is a way that I would be able to redirect the log files in a directories standard output and standard error into and excel spreadsheet in anyway? Please remember don't use too advanced of terminology as I just started using shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: killaram
6 Replies

4. HP-UX

Password compliance setting

I need to set password compliance for some servers in my company. However, the requirements are that we need to set different password policies for 3 different user groups within the company. These are : System Users: i.e root, etc Batch/Application Users: oracle, bscs, etc Standard User:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
0 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

POSIX compliance...

Thanks to all you guys about posix compliance I have learnt an enormous amount over the last few days. I have written a program that is an Egg Timer with simple animation. I now realise how sophisticated 'bash' is compared to full posix compliance. The code below has passed all of the tests from... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies
fitscheck(1)							   PyFITS 3.0.7 						      fitscheck(1)

NAME
fitscheck - script to detect and fix FITS standards violations SYNOPSIS
fitscheck [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
fitscheck is a command line script based on pyfits for verifying and updating the CHECKSUM and DATASUM keywords of FITS files. itscheck can also detect and often fix other FITS standards violations. fitscheck facilitates re-writing the non-standard checksums originally gen- erated by pyfits with standard checksums which will interoperate with cfitsio. fitscheck will refuse to write new checksums if the checksum keywords are missing or their values are bad. Use --force to write new check- sums regardless of whether or not they currently exist or pass. Use --ignore-missing to tolerate missing checksum keywords without com- ment. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display terse usage information (help). -k [standard | nonstandard | either | none], --checksum=[standard | nonstandard | either | none] Choose FITS checksum mode or none. Defaults to standard. -w, --write Write out file checksums and/or FITS compliance fixes. -f, --force Do file update even if original checksum was bad. -c, --compliance Do FITS compliance checking, fix if possible. -i, --ignore-missing Ignore missing checksums. -v, --verbose Generate extra output. EXAMPLES
% fitscheck --checksum either --write *.fits Verify and update checksums, tolerating non-standard checksums, updating to standard checksum. % fitscheck --write --force *.fits Write new checksums, even if existing checksums are bad or missing. % fitscheck --compliance *.fits Verify standard checksums and FITS compliance without changing the files. % fitscheck --checksum nonstandard *.fits Verify original nonstandard checksums only. % fitscheck --checksum none --compliance --write *.fits Only check and fix compliance problems, ignoring checksums. % fitscheck *.fits Verify standard interoperable checksums. % fitscheck --checksum none --write *.fits Delete checksum keywords. fitscheck June 2012 fitscheck(1)