Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers man synopsis standard compliance Post 302149342 by vkleban on Wednesday 5th of December 2007 05:30:16 PM
Old 12-05-2007
Yes, good point about Solaris. Is seems that my research has failed Smilie It is very strange that such a fundamental thing in all UNIXes and UNIX-like operating systems is not standardized in any way.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sudo & Sox compliance

Hello, I am trying to convince my boss to stop allowing our users to login as root (superuser). Currently our users login to our unix server with their own account, then as needed, they will do an su and put in the root password. This scares me, for a bunch of reasons. Mainly, one is that we... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rwallaceisg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

standard error to standard out question

Hi there how can i get the result of a command to not give me its error. For example, on certain systems the 'zfs' command below is not available, but this is fine becaues I am testing against $? so i dont want to see the message " command not found" Ive tried outputting to /dev/null 2>&1 to no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Standard output and standard error into spreadsheet

Hey, I'm completely new at this and I was wondering if there is a way that I would be able to redirect the log files in a directories standard output and standard error into and excel spreadsheet in anyway? Please remember don't use too advanced of terminology as I just started using shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: killaram
6 Replies

4. HP-UX

Password compliance setting

I need to set password compliance for some servers in my company. However, the requirements are that we need to set different password policies for 3 different user groups within the company. These are : System Users: i.e root, etc Batch/Application Users: oracle, bscs, etc Standard User:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
0 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

POSIX compliance...

Thanks to all you guys about posix compliance I have learnt an enormous amount over the last few days. I have written a program that is an Egg Timer with simple animation. I now realise how sophisticated 'bash' is compared to full posix compliance. The code below has passed all of the tests from... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies
nlist_ia(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						       nlist_ia(4)

NAME
nlist_ia: nlist, nlist64 - structure formats for Integrity systems SYNOPSIS
Remarks The exact content of the structure defined below can be best found by examining It varies somewhat between various HP-UX implementations. This manpage describes on Integrity systems. For on PA-RISC systems, see nlist_pa(4). DESCRIPTION
and can be used to extract information from the symbol table in an object file (see nlist(3C)). They are basically the same tool, and both can process SOM and Elf files. Since symbol tables are machine dependent (as defined in each implementation's copy of a header file, is defined to encapsulate the differences. The nlist function, either or when used with the corresponding nlist structure, can be used to extract certain information about selected symbols in the symbol table. The data associated with each symbol is machine specific, thus only the name and position of the field in the function is standardized by HP-UX. The rest of the structure includes at least the value and type of the symbol. The names and meanings of all fields not standardized will change no more than necessary. The structure is the same as the structure and is used for source compatibility purposes. SEE ALSO
nlist(3C), a.out(4). Integrity Systems Only nlist_ia(4)