Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Stopping A process
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Stopping A process Post 302149176 by ejdv on Wednesday 5th of December 2007 06:59:32 AM
Old 12-05-2007
Killing a process based on the process name can be tricky.
The process name might be a substring of another process.
And it could exist more than once.

This should work:

PID=`ps -ef | grep -w ${PROCNAME} | awk '{print $2}'`
kill -9 $PID

This will kill all occurences of the PROCNAME.

I have come across the fact that the process name you want to kill is actually a process with some arguments, like "httpd -f".
In this case it can't hurt to use quotes:

PID=`ps -ef | grep -w "${PROCNAME}" | awk '{print $2}'`
kill -9 $PID

Would you like to only kill the last occurence of the PROCNAME you may use:

PID=`ps -ef | grep -w "${PROCNAME}" | awk 'END {print $2}'`
kill -9 $PID

Perhaps others have better suggestions as I am still learning too :-)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Stopping a print request

Im running a solaris 9 system and keep getting this message: Request to LXKF894CB (unknown printer) from zion. This happen because there was a mis configured printer and a job was submitted to it. I fix the printer issue but this message keeps repeating and the PID keeps going up. How can i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyersp
5 Replies

2. AIX

Stopping multiple process on AIX

I'm trying to update a shared library (*.so) in our AIX machine. However, when I tried to delete the old *.so file, I get this error -> Cannot open or remove a file containing a running program. Based on the information I gather from the net, shared libraries are not unloaded (the file remains... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soulfactory2002
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

stopping a script

i want to stop a script from running after one minute, using the sleep command, and then kill the process. anyhelp with this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AtomJ22
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

I can't resume a process after stopping it!

Hello, I have a process running, for example a "top". I send it a signal to stop it kill -s SIGSTOP 3423 It works, but when I want to resume it by kill -s SIGCONT 3423 It does not work. Help me please..... I have Fedora Core 4. Thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nene
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

stopping a processor

hi, Can any plz tell what is the command for stopping a processor? suppose a system is accessing 10 processors and we want to stop the 3rd & 6th processor then whats the command in Unix? thank u (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nm_virtual
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stopping a command in between

Hi Is it possible to stop a command executing after certain time? I have this command say prstat which keeps on giving the values etc of the processes after every 1 sec(refreshes the screen) What I want is just stop the execution after first screen Since I have written this command in shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superprg
3 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

stopping running process

hi all, I am using red hat AS 4 linux enterprise,i need to run my application such that while its running no other process shuld run all the remaining process should be suspended ,i need to use whole of the process only for that application to run ,can anyone suggest me how to do this. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilakshmi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

stopping process started with "while"

Hello unix forum ! how do i get rid of this while thing ? if started some where by crontab for example. while ; do ./script > /dev/null ; done & or for example if in terminal while ; do ./script ; done & and the script is outputing and I can't write commands. other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_475
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

stopping you have mail.....

Hi, on server Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3, I am getting the mail "you have mail" can any body suggest how to stop this? mail are getting generated in below path. /var/spool/postfix/maildrop, due to which heavy file are getting generated. though sendmail service is stopped. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
0 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-c] [-n] [-x] [-m] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -c Only return process ids that are running with the same root directory. This option is ignored for non-root users, as they will be unable to check the current root directory of processes they do not own. -n Avoid stat(2) system function call on all binaries which are located on network based file systems like NFS. Instead of using this option the the variable PIDOF_NETFS may be set and exported. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o omitpid Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. -m When used with -o, will also omit any processes that have the same argv[0] and argv[1] as any explicitly omitted process ids. This can be used to avoid multiple shell scripts concurrently calling pidof returning each other's pids. EXIT STATUS
0 At least one program was found with the requested name. 1 No program was found with the requested name. NOTES
pidof is actually the same program as killall5; the program behaves according to the name under which it is called. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. Note that that the executable name of running processes is calculated with readlink(2), so symbolic links to executables will also match. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8), killall5(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)