Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Not quite related to Unix but CP/M file structure... Post 302149083 by Legend986 on Tuesday 4th of December 2007 09:03:11 PM
Old 12-04-2007
Aha... That paper was wonderful... Smilie Thanks a lot... Now I understand the real reason behind that classification... But even then, what dictates the fact that "CP/M can support only disks as large as a floppy?" The paper just discusses taking into account a disk with 102,400 bytes divided into 800 128-byte CP/M sectors.

Ok the disk allocation map, as the paper says, contains 16 1-byte address pointers. The following is a paragraph from the paper itself:

Quote:
bytes. The technique CP/M uses is to cluster sectors groups of 8 sectors each (see Figure 4). so that there into are a maximum of 100 groups per disk and the address pointers represent group numbers. (On larger disks,CP/M simply uses larger clusters in each group.) Group number 0 includes sectors l-8 of track 3. group 1 includes sectors 9-16 of track 3, group 2 includes sectors 17-20 of track 3 and sectors l-4 of track 4. and so on.
The paper clearly says that there are 16 1-byte address pointers and each represents one group => there are 16 groups and a group includes 8 sectors => 128 sectors in total. But there are 800 sectors... Smilie I know I'm missing something but I don't understand what I'm missing....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux Directory Structure

Does anyone know of a good Internet source that explains the directory structure of Unix/Linux?? Thanks Gregg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gdboling
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Related

well through my 6 months education i know some unix os but i can't find one for my p3 via board can any one tell me where to find such please replay as email or private msg and thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JaMaL
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are some benefits of the UNIX hierarchical file structure?

What are some benefits of the UNIX hierarchical file structure? I am new to UNIX and researching some information about it for a class so please help if you can. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 88923JJJSDK
1 Replies

4. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

How to post a new thread (Regarding Unix related doubts) in Unix Forums

How to post a new thread (Regarding Unix related doubts) in Unix Forums. I registered my id but I am unable to post my Questions to Forum. Thanks & Regards, indusri (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: indusri
1 Replies

5. Programming

compare XML/flat file with UNIX file system structure

Before i start doing something, I wanted to know whether the approach to compare XML file with UNIX file system structure. I have a pre-configured file(contains a list of paths to executables) and i need to check against the UNIX directory structure. what are the various approches should i use ? I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
6 Replies

6. Fedora

How is OS X related to unix

Ok, I gotta ask this question, I have just begun fundamentals of UNIX in college and have learned or heard that Mac's OS-X is a linux based os! Does this mean that unix shell commands work in OS-X? I have no experience with os-x yet. I know it's a stupid question but I gotta know! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: boarder428
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix commands Related to

Hi all, Does unix has any commands for creating BLOB and CLOB objects. Please forward me any sites or samples (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the Folder Structure in Unix

Hi All, I have a compute box and I want to tar directory structure under a directory and then Deploy/untar it in a new compute box so that the directory structure will be exactly the same. I do not want any of the file to be extracted and deployed but instead only the directory structure. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

need downloading related help...but its not related to unix

Hi All, I am trying to dowmload the zip file "zkManageCustomers.zip " but i dont have access. Can anyone help me to download this file See the below link- http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/wa-aj-open/index.html?ca=drs- Please help me as early as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aish11
1 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Query related to conversion of segy file and .su files using Seismic Unix

hi M using ubuntu 11.04....and has installed Seismic Unix on it.... I want to process some unprocessed segy data using Seismic Unix.... i have converted .segy file to .su using segyread tape=file1.seg verbose=1 endian=0 | segyclean > smallfile.su and got 3 files -smallfile.su... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankita Singla
0 Replies
disktab(5)							File Formats Manual							disktab(5)

Name
       disktab - disk description file

Syntax
       #include <disktab.h>

Description
       The file is a simple data base that describes disk geometries and disk partition characteristics.  The format is patterned after the termi-
       nal data base.  Entries in consist of a number of fields separated by colons (:).  The first entry for each disk gives the names  that  are
       known for the disk, separated by vertical bars (|).  The last name given should be a long name fully identifying the disk.

The following list indicates the normal values stored for each disk entry:
       Name Type Description
       ns   num  Number of sectors per track
       nt   num  Number of tracks per cylinder
       nc   num  Total number of cylinders on the disk
       ba   num  Block size for partition `a' (bytes)
       bd   num  Block size for partition `d' (bytes)
       be   num  Block size for partition `e' (bytes)
       bf   num  Block size for partition `f' (bytes)
       bg   num  Block size for partition `g' (bytes)
       bh   num  Block size for partition `h' (bytes)
       fa   num  Fragment size for partition `a' (bytes)
       fd   num  Fragment size for partition `d' (bytes)
       fe   num  Fragment size for partition `e' (bytes)
       ff   num  Fragment size for partition `f' (bytes)
       fg   num  Fragment size for partition `g' (bytes)
       fh   num  Fragment size for partition `h' (bytes)
       pa   num  Size of partition `a' in sectors
       pb   num  Size of partition `b' in sectors
       pc   num  Size of partition `c' in sectors
       pd   num  Size of partition `d' in sectors
       pe   num  Size of partition `e' in sectors
       pf   num  Size of partition `f' in sectors
       pg   num  Size of partition `g' in sectors
       ph   num  Size of partition `h' in sectors
       se   num  Sector size in bytes
       ty   str  Type of disk (e.g. removable, winchester)

The entries can be automatically generated with the program.

Files
See Also
       chpt(8), newfs(8)

disktab(5)