Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help in background process
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help in background process Post 302148874 by gus2000 on Tuesday 4th of December 2007 01:46:01 AM
Old 12-04-2007
Note that this will not work:

Code:
sub.ksh & >/tmp/logfile 2>&1

but this will:

Code:
sub.ksh >/tmp/logfile 2>&1 &

Redirection can get tricky, which is why I add this code to any of my scripts that run in the background or unattended:

Code:
exec >/tmp/${0##*/}.log 2>&1

After this line, all output (stdout and stderr) will go to a file in /tmp using the program basename with a ".log" extension. Don't try this from the command line!

UPDATE: I actually use a base set of code for background jobs:

Code:
# Send all output to a logfile and supress input
typeset LOG="/tmp/${0##*/}.out"
mv $LOG ${LOG}.old >/dev/null 2>&1
[[ -t 1 ]] && echo "Writing to logfile '$LOG'."
exec > $LOG 2>&1
exec < /dev/null 2<&1

Note that the shell expression "${0##*/}" is the same as "basename $0". Also, the "[[ -t ]]" should return TRUE when the process is attached to a terminal. In this case, it just prints a message about the logfile (instead of having the user wonder if the script is even running).

I also close stdin since an unattended script should never need input. For instance, if you have "grep $FILENAME" or "cat $FILENAME" and a bug has left $FILENAME unset, then the script would normally hang waiting for input from stdin. If that input is already /dev/null then the script can continue.

Last edited by gus2000; 12-05-2007 at 04:19 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture the process id when starting a background process

Hello all, How do I start a background process and save the process id to a file on my system. For example %wait 5 & will execute and print the process id. I can't figure out how to get it to a file. I've tried: > filename 0>filename 1>filename. Any assistance is most appreciated. Thanks, Jim... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jleavitt
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

process in background

Hi Guys, I am facing some weird problem with my shell script. The script shows up a menu and for every ontion internally calls a shell script which start/stop various servers. When I am using '&' while calling the internal shell script so that the server run in the background. For exiting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agoyal
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process

Hi, In shell script when I use script1 >> filelog the echo statments of script1 gets printed in the filelog but when I try to run script in background i.e, script1 & >> filelog nothing gets printed in the filelog. Anybody knows whats going on here. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_oops9
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background process

How, can I hide background process's output? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zylwyz
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

Background process

If I run a process in the back ground like find . -name "abc" & after the process is complete we get a msg like + Done find . -name "abc" & Is it possible to redirect this msg to /dev/null Thanks for your help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ujan
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Background Process

I need to submit a script that will continue to run after logging out and after a reboot or shutdown. I entered the following: nohup script & The script continues to run in the background after logging off the system but is killed after a reboot or shutdown. Any help would be greatly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: powwm
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

8. AIX

Background process

how to check the process running in background? how can i run a process in background? pls explain with commands (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udtyuvaraj
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put FTP process as a background process/job in perl?

Hi, I am using net::ftp for transferring files now i am trying in the same Linux server as a result ftp is very fast but if the server is other location (remote) then the file transferred will be time consuming. So i want try putting FTP part as a background process. I am unaware how to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make background process interact with fg process

Hi, I have written a menu driven shell script in which as per the choice, I run the another script on background. For eg: 1. get info 2)process info 3)modify info All the operations have different scripts which i schedule in background using &. However I wish to display the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
0 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)