Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Loop through files in dir, omit file with latest date Post 302148830 by Ygor on Monday 3rd of December 2007 09:56:55 PM
Old 12-03-2007
This will select each file in time order, oldest first, except for the newest...
Code:
for file in $(ls -tr|sed '$d')
do
    : something with $file
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files with the latest date

Hi All, I have a situation where I need to copy the files having the latest date. For example I have a file by name bas100e1_jun05. I need to copy it to bas100e1. But when a file by name bas100e1_jul05 is put in the same directory the script should copy the file having the latest month which... (34 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi_kiran_v
34 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move A File With Same Date,don't Change The Desitination Dir Date

Assume, I created one file three years back and I like to move the file to some other directory with the old date (Creation date)? Is it possible? Explain? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jee.ku2
1 Replies

3. AIX

loop through the directory for files and sort by date and process the first file

hello i have a requirement where i have a direcotry in which i get files in the format STOCKS.20080114.dat STOCKS.20080115.dat STOCKS.20080117.dat STOCKS.20080118.dat i need to loop through the directory and sort by create date descending order and i need to process the first file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to backup latest date files?

Hi, I have below two situations to handle, 1. I have list of files with file names having date&time. I have to backup to old date files. say I have below files in a directory, 1. XX123_20101004010101.dat 2. XX124_20101004010201.dat 3. XX121_20101003010101.dat 4.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smr_rashmy
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to list all files in dir and sub-dir's recursively along with file size?

I am very new to unix as well as shell scripting. I have to write a script for the following requirement. In have to list all the files in directory and its sub directories along with file path and size of the file Please help me in this regard and many thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmakkena
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the Latest file in a Dir

Hi Everyone, I am writing a shell script and I am struck here: I need to find the latest file in a directory depending upon the date. For example: The files in the directory are: Filename_bo_20110619 Filename_bo_20110620 Filename_bo_20110621 Filename_bo_20110622 So here, I want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pick the latest file with date as one among the file name.( not exactly present date.)?

i have files like 1)20131112_abc_01.csv and 2)20131113_abc_01.csv and 3)20131113_abc_02.csv when i try to fetch the file in the next day. it shud pick the third file.. plz help me.. and i use `date +"%Y%m%d"` command to fetch..it fetches the current date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: applepie
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through the dir and Rename zip files and their underlying text file.

I have files in the ABC_YYYYMMDD.zip format under a directory. Each zip file contains A text file in the ABC_YYYYMMDD.txt format. I am trying to create a script that will Rename the zip files and their underlying text file replacing the datepart in them with . For eg: in the case of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash987
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding latest file in dir but getting syntax errors

I believe there are couple of syntax issues in my script, couldn't find them :( can someone help me with fixing it to make it work. cd /abcde/ #get the latest filename excluding subdirs filename=`ls -ltr | grep ^- | tail -1 | awk '{print $8}'` #get system date and file timestamp and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join files, omit duplicated records from one file

Hello I have 2 files, eg more file1 file2 :::::::::::::: file1 :::::::::::::: 1 fromfile1 2 fromfile1 3 fromfile1 4 fromfile1 5 fromfile1 6 fromfile1 7 fromfile1 :::::::::::::: file2 :::::::::::::: 3 fromfile2 5 fromfile2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CHoggarth
4 Replies
EXTUNDELETE(1)						      General Commands Manual						    EXTUNDELETE(1)

NAME
extundelete - utility to undelete files from an ext3 or ext4 partition. SYNOPSIS
extundelete [options] device-file... DESCRIPTION
extundelete is a utility that can recover deleted files from an ext3 or ext4 partition extundelete uses the information stored in the partition's journal to attempt to recover a file that has been deleted from the partition. There is no guarantee that any particular file will be able to be undeleted, so always try to have a good backup system in place, or at least put one in place after recovering your files! OPTIONS
--version Prints the version number of extundelete. --help Print a brief usage summary for extundelete. Partition name Name of the partition that has deleted files, such as /dev/sda3. Could also be the file name of a copy of the partition, such as that made with dd. --superblock Prints information about the filesystem from the superblock. --journal --superblock Prints information about the journal from the journal's superblock. --inode # Prints the information from the inode number of the filesystem given, such as "--inode 2". --block # Prints the contents of the block, called as "--block 9652". --restore-file path/to/deleted/file Attempts to restore the file which was deleted at the given filename, called as "--restore-file dirname/filename". --restore-inode # Used to restore inodes by number, called as "--restore-inode 2569". Also accepts a list of inodes separated by only commas, such as "--restore-inode 2569,5692,6925". --restore-files filename Restores a list of files. First, construct a list of files in the same style as would be used in the --restore-file option, and save it to the file "filename". Then, this option may be used to attempt to restore those files with a single call to extundelete. This form also reduces redundancy from multiple calls parsing the journal multiple times. --output-dir path/to/dump/recovered/files Restores files in the output dir 'path'. By default the restored files are created under current directory 'RECOVERED_FILES' --restore-all Restores all files possible to undelete to their names before deletion, when possible. Other files are restored to a filename like "file.NNNN". --restore-directory path/of/directory Restores all files possible to link to specified directory to their names before deletion, when possible. -j journal_dev Specifies the device that is the external journal of the file system. -b block_number Specifies the block number of the backup superblock to be used when opening the file system. -B block_size Specifies the block size of the partition to be used when opening the file system. --before date Only restore files deleted before the date specified, which should be in the form of the number of seconds since the UNIX epoch. Use a shell command like $ date -d "Aug 1 9:02" +%s to convert a human-readable date to the proper format. The conversion from the number of seconds to a readable format may be found by using either of the following: $ date -d@1234567890 $ perl -le "print scalar localtime 1234567890" --after date Only restore files deleted after the date specified, which should be in the form of the number of seconds since the UNIX epoch. See the notes for the --before option for more information. AUTHOR
extundelete was written by Nic Case <number9652@users.sourceforge.net> Copyright (C) 2009, 2010 This manual page was written by Elias Alejandro Ano Mendoza <ealmdz@gmail.com>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). September 29, 2010 EXTUNDELETE(1)