Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Looking to install Unix on my Mac Post 302148690 by Micolejr2 on Monday 3rd of December 2007 08:29:43 AM
Old 12-03-2007
Looking to install Unix on my Mac

I know how to install Unix or Linux on my Mac using bootcamp, I installed the Ubuntu distribution of Linux on my Mac. Basically I'm looking for advice on what OS I should learn with. I am fiercely interested in programming, and am learning C++ and Python at the moment.

Anyways, everyone has been telling me if I want to really learn programming I need to switch to Unix or Linux. I am using a 64 bit intel mac, should I stick with Ubuntu Linux (I have to work out a lot of driver issues), or try Solaris 10? I want it to be a challenging OS that forces me to face more code (not so much GUI, and automated everything). I don't really know what I'm talking about lol, but, I hope you know what I am trying to say. Any advice regarding these questions, or good advice to have on the path and where(ish) the path should be pointed would be helpful?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I'm sorry if you feel like you killed 5 minutes of your life, and want them back. Maybe someday I will be able to write code that saves you LOTS of time =).

Last edited by Micolejr2; 12-03-2007 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Made it less of a wall of text, and fixed some grammar

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The what and how to install UNIX on a new mac

Firstly, Happy New Year to all. Secondly, my earnest request... I am an absolute novice in UNIX. Have work around alittle with the mac os Terminal which encourage me to get myself a used G3 powerbook. I would like to work full fledge installing a unix shell onto it (without GUI). Could... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharme
4 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

install windows on mac

Hello all, i want to install windows on mac and when i search i found that there is a program called Parallels Desktop to install windows on mac but i want it on the laptop not on the program does it work? or there is another anyway to install it on mac..?? Thanks in advanced (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reham$
8 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume.

I lost the firmware password for my MacBook Pro 13" I pulled one of the two DIMMs and did a PRAM reset but the password is intact. How do I reset the password. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JustOne
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

paritioning mac harddrive during arch install

hi so i am a noob to linux but not computers in general and have decided i want to give linux a go. because i like to make things hard for myself and because someone told me i wouldnt be able to figure it out iv decided to try arch so iinstalled it last night and it installed fine and i got... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irish
0 Replies

5. AIX

Power Mac G4 install AIX

hi all ! i want install aix on power mac g4 . does it work correctly ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ijj
1 Replies
Aspect::Advice::Around(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Aspect::Advice::Around(3pm)

NAME
Aspect::Advice::Around - Execute code both before and after a function SYNOPSIS
use Aspect; around { # Trace all calls to your module print STDERR "Called my function " . $_->sub_name . " "; # Lexically alter a global for this function local $MyModule::MAXSIZE = 1000; # Continue and execute the function $_->run_original; # Suppress exceptions for the call $_->return_value(1) if $_->exception; } call qr/^ MyModule::w+ $/; DESCRIPTION
The "around" advice type is used to execute code on either side of a function, allowing deep and precise control of how the function will be called when none of the other advice types are good enough. Using "around" advice is also critical if you want to lexically alter the environment in which the call will be made (as in the example above where a global variable is temporarily changed). This advice type is also the most computationally expensive to run, so if your problem can be solved with the use of a different advice type, particularly "before", you should use that instead. Please note that unlike the other advice types, your code in "around" is required to trigger the execution of the target function yourself with the "proceed" method. If you do not "proceed" and also do not set either a "return_value" or "exception", the function call will return "undef" in scalar context or the null list "()" in list context. AUTHORS
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2010 Adam Kennedy. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-02-01 Aspect::Advice::Around(3pm)