Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: CPU temperature
Operating Systems Solaris CPU temperature Post 302148666 by soliberus on Monday 3rd of December 2007 06:14:59 AM
Old 12-03-2007
Hi encrypted.

Thanks for your response. However, I'm not looking for the operating temperature of the server itself. I'm looking for the operating temperatures for the CPU's themselves as reported in prtdiag

Example:

System Temperatures (Celsius):
-------------------------------
Device Temperature Status
---------------------------------------
CPU0 60 OK
CPU1 55 OK
CPU2 59 OK
CPU3 55 OK
DBP0 27 OK

My problem is: CPU0 and CPU2 sometimes go up to 63 degree Celsius.

I would like to know what the different thresholds are.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

temperature records

I'm fairly new to hpux, so this is what i've been trying to figure out. Is it possible to get any logs on hpux that would indicate if the system, cpu, or other hardware components reached above normal or critical temperatures? Thanks, -K (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: uzerx
0 Replies

2. SCO

temperature monitor

Is there command in sco unixware 7.1.3 from which i can find the temperature of the system/hardware. Something equivalent to prtdiag in solaris maybe thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gsb81
1 Replies

3. Solaris

E450 CPU temperature 80 degree F

Hi all, We are getting CPU warning temeratures sometimes and our server is shutdown at 80 degree F. We notice our server room temperature at 18 degree celcius . Our we have already cleaned dust from grills near CPU Fan . CPU fans are working (moving) . It is our experience that CPU... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitesh Shah
5 Replies

4. Solaris

How to change CPU threshold high temperature

Hi, I have a NETRA 240 server wich should work on high temperature environment (up to 50 deg celsius). After reaching ~48 deg, the system is shuting down. The HighShutDownThreshold of the CPU is set to 89 deg The PowerOffThreshold of the CPU is set to 96 deg Please help me to change these... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danielz
2 Replies

5. Solaris

CPU Temperature Details

How to get a CPU temperature and current power consumption in T5220 server both from system controller and Operating system. I need details by cores. Thanks in advance. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
13 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MAKING A SCRIPT FOR TEMPERATURE

People hello to everybody exist a way to do a script for view the temperature. I have Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike) Kernel 2.4.20-8 on an i686 THANk YOU FOR YOUR TIME. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: enkei17
4 Replies

7. Solaris

How to read CPU temperature?

Hello all, I am using prtdiag -v command to find the temperature sensors . And i dont see the following o/p . ystem Configuration: Hewlett-Packard HP Z400 Workstation BIOS Configuration: Hewlett-Packard 786G3 v01.17 08/19/2009 ==== Processor Sockets ==================================== ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: b.preeya22
2 Replies

8. Hardware

Max CPU temperature?

What is the max operating temperature for 'UltraSPARC IIIi 1 GHz' ? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orange47
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test temperature and alert

i have this script which result is cpu temp in celsius first install: apt-get install lm-sensors YES |sensors-detect --auto #!/bin/bash # 1. get temperature ## a. split response ## Core 0: +143.6°F (high = +186.8°F, crit = +212.0°F) IFS=')' read -ra core_temp_arr <<<... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
11 Replies
HDDTEMP(8)                                                    System Manager's Manual                                                   HDDTEMP(8)

NAME
hddtemp - Utility to monitor hard drive temperature SYNOPSIS
hddtemp [options] [type:]disk... DESCRIPTION
hddtemp will give you the temperature of your hard drive by reading Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) infor- mation on drives that support this feature. Only modern hard drives have a temperature sensor. hddtemp supports reading S.M.A.R.T. information from SCSI drives too. hddtemp can work as simple command line tool or as a daemon. You can specify one or more device drive path, where each path can be prefixed with a type like PATA, SATA or SCSI to force hddtemp too use one of these type (because detection can fail). OPTIONS
The program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. -b, --drivebase Display the database file that allows hddtemp to recognize a supported drive. -D, --debug Display various S.M.A.R.T. fields and their values. Useful for finding a value that seems to match the temperature and/or to send a report. (done for every drive supplied) -d, --daemon Execute hddtemp in TCP/IP daemon mode (port 7634 by default). -f, --file=file Specify the database file to use. -F, --foreground Don't fork into the background even in daemon mode. This is useful when running under a process supervisor. -l, --listen=addr Listen on a specific address. addr is a string containing a host name or a numeric host address string. The numeric host address string is a dotted-decimal IPv4 address or an IPv6 hex address. -n, --numeric Print only the temperature (without the unit). -p, --port=# Port number to listen to (in TCP/IP daemon mode). -s, --separator=char Separator to use between fields (in TCP/IP daemon mode). The default separator is `|'. -S, --syslog=s Switch to daemon mode and log temperatures to syslog every s seconds. -q, --quiet Don't check if the drive is supported. -u, --unit=C|F Force output temperature either in Celsius or Fahrenheit. -v, --version Display hddtemp version number. -w, --wake-up Wake-up the drive if needed (ATA drives only). -4 Listen on IPv4 sockets only. -6 Listen on IPv6 sockets only. DRIVE DATABASE
If you know your drive has a temperature sensor but it is being reported unsupported, tell me which model and which manufacturer it is, and/or just add a new entry in /etc/hddtemp.db. Each line of hddtemp.db is either a comment, a blank line or a line containing: - a regular expression that allow hddtemp to recognize a drive or a set of drives from its model name or from a generic model name, - a value (ATTRIBUTE_ID from S.M.A.R.T.), - a C or an F to set the unit to Celsius or Fahrenheit, - a description. Feedback is welcome (see the REPORT section below). TCP
/IP DAEMON MODE Example of type forcing: # hddtemp SATA:/dev/sda PATA:/dev/hda To test hddtemp in daemon mode, start it like this: # hddtemp -d /dev/hd[abcd] and use telnet or netcat (which is known as nc on some systems) to get a reply: # netcat localhost 7634 The drive database is read only once at startup, so hddtemp must be restarted if the database is updated for the changes to take effect. REPORT
As I receive a lot of reports, things must be clarified. When running hddtemp with debug options, hddtemp will show sort of a dump of S.M.A.R.T. data. Each field corresponds to an information field. The standard field for drive temperature is 194. But this is not always the case (mostly for older drives). Even if your drive has S.M.A.R.T. capabilities, it doesn't necessarily mean that it can report its temperature. So, things must be determined through experimentation. So, you can try to guess which field by is the good one by running hddtemp at regular intervals: - just after starting up your PC/server/station, - after opening a window (a physical window :), - after opening the case, - whatever you can think of... and looking for a field's value that would increase or decrease depending on what effect you want to induce. Be careful, fields 4, 9, and 12 are often reported to match a temperature field but after some investigation they do not. But fields 194 (which is the standard field for temperature) and 231 are good candidates. Then, you can send me a report with outputs from `hddtemp --debug ...', `smartctl' or `hdparm -i ...', and/or add an entry in hddtemp.db yourself. BUGS
If hddtemp crashes (yes, it might) for some unknown reasons, look for a file named hddtemp.backtrace.<PID>.XXXXXX (where XXXXXX is a random number generated at runtime) in /tmp. Then, you can then send me this file and the hddtemp binary. The backtrace functionality is cur- rently supported on i386 architectures only. SEE ALSO
smartctl(8), syslog(3), syslogd(8). AUTHOR
Emmanuel Varagnat (hddtemp@guzu.net). This manual page was originally written by Aurelien Jarno <aurel32@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by oth- ers). July 21, 2003 HDDTEMP(8)