Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What does open() do anyways?
Top Forums Programming What does open() do anyways? Post 302148601 by Legend986 on Monday 3rd of December 2007 02:16:05 AM
Old 12-03-2007
Thank you... So open is one of those critical functions right? I mean, I cannot do away if open were not present... The reason I was wondering is because there are so many file operations defined that open seemed to be that "i cannot live without it" like functions to me... Please correct me if I'm wrong...

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performing an open/read, open/write

I'm trying to do two different things (converting an OpenVms .com to a ksh shell script): 1) open/read/err= 2) open/write/err= Any help? I've found some things, but can't seem to find the correct way. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prosserj
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Unknown open port: "6881/tcp open bittorrent-tracker" found with nmap

Hi. I ran nmap on my server, and I get the following: Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-03-19 16:33 EDT Interesting ports on -------- (-----): Not shown: 997 closed ports PORT STATE SERVICE 22/tcp open ssh 80/tcp open http 6881/tcp open bittorrent-tracker The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rledley
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

cannot set user id: Resource temporarily unavailable (not open file/open process related)

First post, sorry to be a bother but this one has been dogging me. I have a process user (java application server) that trips a resource limit every couple weeks and need help finding what limit we're hitting. First, this is what's running: This is the error when jobs are run or the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katahdin
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Is it possible to install Solaris softwares on Open Solaris or Open Indiana?

Hi there, I'm sorry in advance if my question seems stupid, but I can't figure out myself. I was wondering. Is it possible to install a Solaris program on an Open Solaris or Open Indiana operating system? After searching the web for a long time, it seems that Open Solaris was released by... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: firstpost
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Vim help.txt automatically open every time I open vi

Hi Friends, Every I try to open a vi window vim help.txt automatically opens evertime. After doing ZZ or :q! also the same page opens automatically. How to stop this? Is it machine specific ? Other users who are opening the same servers and files are not facing this issue. Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudiptabhaskar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vim help.txt automatically open every time I open vi

Hi Friends, Every I try to open a vi window, vim help.txt automatically opens evertime. After doing ZZ or :q! also the same page opens automatically. How to stop this? Is it machine specific ? Other users who are opening the same servers and files are not facing this issue. Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudiptabhaskar
3 Replies
IOCTL(2)							System Calls Manual							  IOCTL(2)

NAME
ioctl, stty, gtty - control device SYNOPSIS
#include <sgtty.h> ioctl(fildes, request, argp) struct sgttyb *argp; stty(fildes, argp) struct sgttyb *argp; gtty(fildes, argp) struct sgttyb *argp; DESCRIPTION
Ioctl performs a variety of functions on character special files (devices). The writeups of various devices in section 4 discuss how ioctl applies to them. For certain status setting and status inquiries about terminal devices, the functions stty and gtty are equivalent to ioctl(fildes, TIOCSETP, argp) ioctl(fildes, TIOCGETP, argp) respectively; see tty(4). The following two calls, however, apply to any open file: ioctl(fildes, FIOCLEX, NULL); ioctl(fildes, FIONCLEX, NULL); The first causes the file to be closed automatically during a successful exec operation; the second reverses the effect of the first. SEE ALSO
stty(1), tty(4), exec(2) DIAGNOSTICS
Zero is returned if the call was successful; -1 if the file descriptor does not refer to the kind of file for which it was intended. BUGS
Strictly speaking, since ioctl may be extended in different ways to devices with different properties, argp should have an open-ended dec- laration like union { struct sgttyb ...; ... } *argp; The important thing is that the size is fixed by `struct sgttyb'. ASSEMBLER
(ioctl = 54.) sys ioctl; fildes; request; argp (stty = 31.) (file descriptor in r0) stty; argp (gtty = 32.) (file descriptor in r0) sys gtty; argp IOCTL(2)