Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What does open() do anyways?
Top Forums Programming What does open() do anyways? Post 302148553 by Legend986 on Sunday 2nd of December 2007 11:43:46 PM
Old 12-03-2007
What does open() do anyways?

I know its kind of silly to think about it, but what does this function do anyways? I know it is used to open a given file with a variety of options but what is the best place to find out what is happening internally? I think it updates the file descriptor table and provides a lock file but does it do anything else besides that?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performing an open/read, open/write

I'm trying to do two different things (converting an OpenVms .com to a ksh shell script): 1) open/read/err= 2) open/write/err= Any help? I've found some things, but can't seem to find the correct way. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prosserj
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Unknown open port: "6881/tcp open bittorrent-tracker" found with nmap

Hi. I ran nmap on my server, and I get the following: Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-03-19 16:33 EDT Interesting ports on -------- (-----): Not shown: 997 closed ports PORT STATE SERVICE 22/tcp open ssh 80/tcp open http 6881/tcp open bittorrent-tracker The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rledley
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

cannot set user id: Resource temporarily unavailable (not open file/open process related)

First post, sorry to be a bother but this one has been dogging me. I have a process user (java application server) that trips a resource limit every couple weeks and need help finding what limit we're hitting. First, this is what's running: This is the error when jobs are run or the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katahdin
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Is it possible to install Solaris softwares on Open Solaris or Open Indiana?

Hi there, I'm sorry in advance if my question seems stupid, but I can't figure out myself. I was wondering. Is it possible to install a Solaris program on an Open Solaris or Open Indiana operating system? After searching the web for a long time, it seems that Open Solaris was released by... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: firstpost
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Vim help.txt automatically open every time I open vi

Hi Friends, Every I try to open a vi window vim help.txt automatically opens evertime. After doing ZZ or :q! also the same page opens automatically. How to stop this? Is it machine specific ? Other users who are opening the same servers and files are not facing this issue. Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudiptabhaskar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vim help.txt automatically open every time I open vi

Hi Friends, Every I try to open a vi window, vim help.txt automatically opens evertime. After doing ZZ or :q! also the same page opens automatically. How to stop this? Is it machine specific ? Other users who are opening the same servers and files are not facing this issue. Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudiptabhaskar
3 Replies
AUSYSCALL:(8)						  System Administration Utilities					     AUSYSCALL:(8)

NAME
ausyscall - a program that allows mapping syscall names and numbers SYNOPSIS
ausyscall [arch] name | number | --dump | --exact DESCRIPTION
ausyscall is a program that prints out the mapping from syscall name to number and reverse for the given arch. The arch can be anything returned by uname -m. If arch is not given, the program will take a guess based on the running image. You may give the syscall name or num- ber and it will find the opposite. You can also dump the whole table with the --dump option. By default a syscall name lookup will be a substring match meaning that it will try to match all occurances of the given name with syscalls. So giving a name of chown will match both fchown and chown as any other syscall with chown in its name. If this behavior is not desired, pass the --exact flag and it will do an exact string match. This program can be used to verify syscall numbers on a biarch platform for rule optimization. For example, suppose you had an auditctl rule: -a always, exit -S open -F exit=-EPERM -k fail-open If you wanted to verify that both 32 and 64 bit programs would be audited, run "ausyscall i386 open" and then "ausyscall x86_64 open". Look at the returned numbers. If they are different, you will have to write two auditctl rules to get complete coverage. -a always,exit -F arch=b32 -S open -F exit=-EPERM -k fail-open -a always,exit -F arch=b64 -S open -F exit=-EPERM -k fail-open OPTIONS
--dump Print all syscalls for the given arch --exact Instead of doing a partial word match, match the given syscall name exactly. SEE ALSO
ausearch(8), auditctl(8). AUTHOR
Steve Grubb Red Hat Nov 2008 AUSYSCALL:(8)