Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: View files in columns
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting View files in columns Post 302148520 by mirusnet on Sunday 2nd of December 2007 08:48:57 PM
Old 12-02-2007
View files in columns

Can some on say how in simplest way to implement the following:

I have two files:
1)
some
some
some

2)
another
another
another

I need to get third file:
3)
some another
some another
some another

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

view log files

i have this unix version "unix v/386" and i want to view the log files how i can do it? regards (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sak900354
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To view .gz files without decompressing it

hi, I have a file called Archiver1.gz how to view this file without doing gunzip on it i.e. decompressing it i tried this command but its not working: gzcat Archiver1.gz | tail -10 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To view compressed files

Hello All I compressed a file hello by using compress command compress hello ( enter ) i got the file as hello.z 1. My question is how can i see the file hello.z 2. How can i uncompress it back to change it to filename hello thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: supercops
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

How to view all files on DAT tape

I'm using tar and so far so good, but how can I view ALL files without having to fast forward and rewind the tape? Let's say I append 100 files onto the tape. Having to fast forward 100 times until I find the file I want is kinda tedious. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdotsen
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you view specific columns from a space delimited text file?

I have a space delimited text file with 1,000,000+ columns? I would only like to view specific ones (let's say through 1:10), how can I do that? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine columns from many files but keep them aligned in columns-shorter left column issue

Hello everyone, I searched the forum looking for answers to this but I could not pinpoint exactly what I need as I keep having trouble. I have many files each having two columns and hundreds of rows. first column is a string (can have many words) and the second column is a number.The files are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: isildur1234
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I view doc files from terminal

Sometimes I'm working from terminal for long periods of time and I come across a doc file I don't recognize. I've been trying to figure out how to view it instead of opening up word. I've tried cat but it jumps into binary and my terminal goes nuts. Is there a way I can do this from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: syregnar86
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 csv files by columns, then extract certain columns of matcing rows

Hi all, I'm pretty much a newbie to UNIX. I would appreciate any help with UNIX coding on comparing two large csv files (greater than 10 GB in size), and output a file with matching columns. I want to compare file1 and file2 by 'id' and 'chain' columns, then extract exact matching rows'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkane3
5 Replies

9. Fedora

Cannot view the files on the smartphone anymore

My current Fedora version is 27. Desktop environment is LXDE. I am trying to view files sitting on my smartphone (Sony Xperia XA ultra) but it doesn't work anymore. This used to work before. I cannot view image and mp3 files but text files and pdf files work fine. When I move the files to the local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding columns from 2 files with variable number of columns

I have two files, file1 and file2 who have identical number of rows and columns. However, the script is supposed to be used for for different files and I cannot know the format in advance. Also, the number of columns changes within the file, some rows have more and some less columns (they are... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: maya3
13 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Note that package.shlibs is only installed in compat level 9 and earlier. In compat 10, please use dh_makeshlibs(1). package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. However, the "maint-script-parameters" should not be included as debhelper will add those automatically. Example: # Correct rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo # INCORRECT rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo -- "$@" In compat 10 or later, any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. It was also the intention to escape shell metacharacters in previous compat levels. However, it did not work properly and as such it was possible to embed arbitrary shell code in earlier compat levels. The dh_installdeb tool will do some basic validation of some of the commands listed in this file to catch common mistakes. The validation is enabled as a warning since compat 10 and as a hard error in compat 12. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)