Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming output the letters of the alphabet with the number of occurrences Post 302148502 by svd on Sunday 2nd of December 2007 05:39:33 PM
Old 12-02-2007
it is for homework, but i dont want people to give me the answer, just a clue about where it's messing up, because i have no clue

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check if the first character is a alphabet or number

Hi, I need to find whether the first character in a line is a alphabet or a number. If its a number i should sort it numerically. If its a alphabet i should sort it based on the ASCII value.And if it is something other than alphabet or number then sort it based on ASCII value. The code i used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

checking wether an input is using letters of the alphabet

afternoon forums. I need to get a way of testing as to wether an inputed character is part of the english alphabet. i have come up with the following code but its not working at all. until '] do echo This is not a Letter done any help would be beneficial to me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: strasner
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of occurrences of the word

I am a newbie in UNIX shell script and seeking help on this UNIX function. Please give me a hand. Thanks. I have a large file. Named as 'MyFile'. It was tab-delmited. I am told to write a shell function that counts the number of occurrences of the ord “mysring” in the file 'MyFile'. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: duke0001
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print number of occurrences of many different strings

People, I need your help with making a script which will 1. take as an input the number of lines, smth like this: ((RUBROBACTER_1_PE1288 (((SALINISPORA_1_PE1863 SALINISPORA_1_PE1828)100 ((NOCARDIOIDES_2_PE2419 PROPIONIBACTERIUM_1_PE1395)96 ((((((((CORYNEBACTERIUM_1_PE1119... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: roussine
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting number of pattern occurrences

Hi All, Is it possible to count number of occurrences of a pattern in a single record using awk?? for example: a line like this: abrsjdfhafa I want to count the number of a character occurrences. but still use the default RS, I don't want to set RS to single character. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghoda2_10
1 Replies

6. Linux

How to sort the number of occurrences

file:///C:/Users/TSHEPI%7E1.LEB/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngATM@ubuntu:~$ cat numbers2 | sort -n | uniq -c 1 7 1 11 2 10 3 the 1st numbers are the counts from the command "uniq -c", which represent the number of occurrences of each in the file. The "sort -n"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lebogot
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

only a number can be entered no letters?

ok the user can only enter a number if a letter is entered it shouldnt be accepted This is what i have so far read -p "How many cars to enter:" cars until do read -p "Invalid number. Please re-enter:" $tags done (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangsta
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Unix and Awk to count number of occurrences

Hi, I have a file (movies.sh), this file contains list of movies such as I want to redirect the movies from movies.sh to file_to_process to allow me process the file with out losing anything. I have tried Movies.sh >> file_to_process But I want to add the row number to the data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: INHF
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of string occurrences to display 0 entries in output

Hello Friends, Can somebody assist an issue I am having? I have a separate file with a list of account ids XXX200B02Y01 XXX200B03Y01 XXX200B05Y01 XXX200B07Y01 XXX200B08Y01 I call the file, and run an egrep against a directory and logfiles AccountID=$(cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liketheshell
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to strictly grep (with before and after args) for last N number of occurrences?

Here is my grep string to print only the last occurrence, with before and after lines. Note that the tail Argument is sum of B and A args + 1, so that it prints the data of only the last 1 match. Now I need to print last 2 such matches. I thought of doubling the tail arg like 5+5+1 (For -- line),... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samjna
2 Replies
vga_addtiming(3)						Svgalib User Manual						  vga_addtiming(3)

NAME
vga_guesstiming - calculate a timing line for the given resolution SYNOPSIS
#include <vga.h> int vga_guesstiming(int x, int y, int clue, int arg); DESCRIPTION
Calculates a timing line for a x*y resolution, according to the value of clue. CALCULATION METHODS
If clue is 0, then the aspect ratio for the requested mode ( x:y ) must be 4:3. A mode with the same aspect ratio closest to the requested, while still having a higher resolution is found, and then scaled down to the requested mode. If clue is 1, then the aspect ratio for the requested mode ( x:y ) must be 4:3. A mode with the same aspect ratio closest to the requested, while still having a lower resolution is found, and then scaled down to the requested mode. BUGS
No guarantee that a modeline will be created, or that a created modeline will be usefull is given. SEE ALSO
vga_addmode(3) vga_addtiming(3) addmodetest(6) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Matan Ziv-Av Svgalib (>;= 1.4.0) 7 April 1999 vga_addtiming(3)