Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unix command history
Operating Systems Solaris unix command history Post 302147797 by matrixmadhan on Wednesday 28th of November 2007 02:35:24 PM
Old 11-28-2007
Hope you are using ksh ?

use,

Esc + k

combination

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

History Command

Hi I am using ksh shell, and I am unable to use the command !n (where n is the number in the history list). Please help me... :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix History Question: Why are filenames/dirnames case sentsitive in Unix?

I tried looking for the answer online and came up with only a few semi-answers as to why file and directory names are case sensitive in Unix. Right off the bat, I'll say this doesn't bother me. But I run into tons of Windows and OpenVMS admins in my day job who go batty when they have to deal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how unix stores command history

Hi techies, I have a doubt upon the command history utilities in Unix ... As far as I know, history stores the event number and command for upto that many number of previous commands executed in the HISTSIZE variable ... my doubt here is can we get the time in which these commands were... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a command history feature in a simple UNIX shell using C

I'm trying to write a history feature to a very simple UNIX shell that will list the last 10 commands used when control-c is pressed. A user can then run a previous command by typing r x, where x is the first letter of the command. I'm having quite a bit of trouble figuring out what I need to do, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: -=Cn=-
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Unix History

Hi everybody Im Megadrink!!! This is my first thred. Ive recently been introduced to Unix and i was interested in Unix's History. Can anyone give me a breif History On Unix. Just when it was invented/released. Maybe someother cool things about it. Thx for the information in advance!! :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Megadrink
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi command history

How do you look at the whole list of previous commands you have used in VI? I know you can use the up and down arrows, but I know there's a way to see the full list. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

history command

hi, i had to submit a project into a directory. i copied it from my location to the specified folder, no problemo. just one thing though. after i copied and searched for the time i copied using the history command, the system would not show. even using the up arrow key would not display my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: iluvsushi
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The history command: See other users command history

Can anyone tell this: If two users are logged into the same server from different locations. Is there a way to see the history command of the other user? I tried the history command, but it is showing me only the commands I used. Thanks in advance for your help. Iamnew2solaris (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamnew2solaris
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX CO command for file version history

Hello :) I'm a newb when it comes to shell scripting and was wondering about a command(s) for a script that could be used to checkout a certain number of version/revision histories of a file. I know for the latest revison you "co filename" or for a certain revision number "co -r*.* filename"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MN-DBA
2 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX History | YouTube Video

I am pleased to announce this new video in 1080 HD for UNIX lovers honoring thirty years of UNIX history spanning from 1969 to 1999 presented in 150 seconds (two and a half minutes) in 1080 HD, celebrating the 50th anniversary of UNIX. The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies
xpamethod(7)							SAORD Documentation						      xpamethod(7)

NAME
XPAMethod - XPA Communication Methods SYNOPSIS
XPA supports both inet and unix (local) socket communication. DESCRIPTION
XPA uses sockets for communication between processes. It supports three methods of socket communication: inet, localhost, and unix. In gen- eral, the same method should be employed for all XPA processes in a session and the global environment variable XPA_METHOD should be used to set up the desired method. By default, the preferred method is "inet", which is appropriate for most users. You can set up a different method by typing something like: setenv XPA_METHOD local # unix csh XPA_METHOD=local; export XPA_METHOD # unix sh, bash, windows/cygwin set XPA_METHOD=localhost # dos/windows The options for XPA_METHOD are: inet, unix (or local), and localhost. On Unix machines, this environment setup command can be placed in your shell init file (.cshrc, .profile, .bashrc, etc.) On Windows platforms, it can be placed in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file (I think!). By default, inet sockets are used by XPA. These are the standard Internet sockets that are used by programs such as Netscape, ftp. etc. Inet sockets utilize the IP address of the given machine and a (usually random) port number to communicate between processes on the same machine or between different machines on the Internet. (Note that XPA has an Access Control mechanism to prevent unauthorized access of XPA access points by other computers on the Net). For users connected to the Internet, this usually is the appropriate communication method. For more information about setting up XPA communication between machines, see Communication Between Machines. In you are using XPA on a machine without an Internet connection, then inet sockets are not appropriate. In fact, an XPA process often will hang for many seconds while waiting for a response from the Domain Name Service (DNS) when using inet sockets. Instead of inet sockets, users on Unix platforms can also use unix sockets (also known as local sockets). These sockets are based on the local file system and do not make use of the DNS. They generally are considered to be faster than inet sockets, but they are not implemented under Windows. Use local sockets as a first resort if you are on a Unix machine that is not connected to the Internet. Users not connected to the Internet also can use localhost sockets. These are also inet-type sockets but the IP address used for the local machine is the localhost address, 0x7F000001, instead of the real IP of the machine. Depending on how sockets are set up for a given plat- form, communication with the DNS usually is not required in this case (though of course, XPA cannot interact with other machines). The localhost method will generally work on both Unix and Windows platforms, but whether the DNS is required or not is subject to individual configurations. A final warning/reminder: if your XPA-enabled server hangs at startup time and your XPA_METHOD is inet, the problem probably is related to an incorrect Internet configuration. This can be confirmed by using the unix method or (usually) the localhost method. You can use these alternate methods if other hosts do not need access to the XPA server. SEE ALSO
See xpa(7) for a list of XPA help pages version 2.1.14 June 7, 2012 xpamethod(7)