Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need Boot up Script
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Need Boot up Script Post 302147760 by sysgate on Wednesday 28th of November 2007 10:38:56 AM
Old 11-28-2007
well, if rc.local is being executed upon system boot, then the answer is yes, here is the content of my rc.local file :
Quote:
#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local
echo "some text" >> some.file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cannot boot - Boot : Panic : File size out of range (EWS-UX/V unix)

Hey ! I am running EWS-UX/V (Rel 4.2) on NEC EWS/4800/330 station and I am having problems rebooting my station : I am getting the following message on display : BOOT : PANIC : File size out of range. According to user guide, this error is occuring when a file exceeding the limit and/or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredo
2 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris boot problem boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld)

When I installed the SOLARIS 10 OS first time, the desktop would not start up, this was because of network setup. Reinstalled worked. After a week due to some problem I had to reinstall OS, installation went fine and but when i reboot I get this error. cannot find mis/krtld boot error loading... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johncy_j
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script in boot sequence

Hi , I have some problems with my library when the sytem boot : When HPUX is booting, HPUX and STAPE claim the drive initially. HPUX assigns an instance number. The instance number is tied to the hardware path. Near the end of the boot, the ATDD driver claims the drive from STAPE based... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: delphine
1 Replies

4. Solaris

boot up script in solaris 10

Hi I'd like to add a start up script to run at boot time.I think that pre solaris 10 you'd add it to /etc/init.d. But I'm using Solaris 10 now and it has this SMF config thing which I'm not sure whether I have to add a service to it or not. Does anyone know how add a script at boot time on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
2 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Boot script in 9.10

Hello, I'm writing a simple boot script that uses etc/init/script to run a called file from the .xinitrc file. So the script goes as such. { start on runlevel stop on runlevel exec xinit } then that executes the .xinitrc content which then reads. /usr/bin/python ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hizzle
2 Replies

6. Boot Loaders

Reboot and Select Proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key

Hello, I have kubuntu on my laptop and now I decided to switch to Windows 7. I made the bios settings properly (first choice is boot from cd\vd) but I see the error " reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key " I have tried CD and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris x86 installation using jumpstart does not local boot ( boot from hdd)

I am trying to install Solaris x86 using the Jumpstart server. I run the add_install_client command with appropriate options, and reboot my x86 Target box. The installation starts fine and unattended. After the installation completes and the target goes for a re-boot, it does not boot from the HDD... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
9 Replies

8. Red Hat

Ethtool script not running on boot.

Hi, there is an incompatibility between my NIC and my Western Digital Powerline adapters which appears to cause autonegotiation to fail intermittently, most often following a reboot. Running the following Ethtool script will establish a connection immediately: #!/bin/sh # chkconfig: 345 85... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: torley
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Boot/Shutdown script automation

Looking to automate some commands to run at boot and poweroff in a startup/shutdown script. How do I place it on the system so that it will be run automatically? I don't want to use cron, not quite specific enough, random times when I may boot or shutdown. ---------- Post updated at 10:47 PM... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alsa Boot Script

Due to a bug in Debian Sid I'm currently having to run "alsactl init" at the command-line to start my sound card. This wasn't a big issue, but I though automating this simple task at boot would be more efficient. I made the following script in /etc/init.d/ and ran chmod +x on it: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
5 Replies
init.d(4)																 init.d(4)

NAME
init.d - initialization and termination scripts for changing init states SYNOPSIS
/etc/init.d /etc/init.d is a directory containing initialization and termination scripts for changing init states. These scripts are linked when appro- priate to files in the rc?.d directories, where `?' is a single character corresponding to the init state. See init(1M) for definitions of the states. The service management facility (see smf(5)) is the preferred mechanism for service initiation and termination. The init.d and rc?.d direc- tories are obsolete, and are provided for compatibility purposes only. Applications launched from these directories by svc.startd(1M) are incomplete services, and will not be restarted on failure. File names in rc?.d directories are of the form [SK]nn<init.d filename>, where S means start this job, K means kill this job, and nn is the relative sequence number for killing or starting the job. When entering a state (init S,0,2,3,etc.) the rc[S0-6] script executes those scripts in /etc/rc[S0-6].d that are prefixed with K followed by those scripts prefixed with S. When executing each script in one of the /etc/rc[S0-6] directories, the /sbin/rc[S0-6] script passes a single argument. It passes the argument 'stop' for scripts prefixed with K and the argument 'start' for scripts prefixed with S. There is no harm in applying the same sequence number to multiple scripts. In this case the order of execution is deterministic but unspecified. Guidelines for selecting sequence numbers are provided in README files located in the directory associated with that target state. For example, /etc/rc[S0-6].d/README. Absence of a README file indicates that there are currently no established guidelines. Do not put /etc/init.d in your $PATH. Having this directory in your $PATH can cause unexpected behavior. The programs in /etc/init.d are associated with init state changes and, under normal circumstances, are not intended to be invoked from a command line. Example 1: Example of /sbin/rc2. When changing to init state 2 (multi-user mode, network resources not exported), /sbin/rc2 is initiated by the svc.startd(1M) process. The following steps are performed by /sbin/rc2. 1. In the directory /etc/rc2.d are files used to stop processes that should not be running in state 2. The filenames are prefixed with K. Each K file in the directory is executed (by /sbin/rc2) in alphanumeric order when the system enters init state 2. See example below. 2. Also in the rc2.d directory are files used to start processes that should be running in state 2. As in Step 1, each S file is executed. Assume the file /etc/init.d/netdaemon is a script that will initiate networking daemons when given the argument 'start', and will terminate the daemons if given the argument 'stop'. It is linked to /etc/rc2.d/S68netdaemon, and to /etc/rc0.d/K67netdaemon. The file is executed by /etc/rc2.d/S68netdaemon start when init state 2 is entered and by /etc/rc0.d/K67netdaemon stop when shutting the system down. svcs(1), init(1M), svc.startd(1M), svccfg(1M), smf(5) Solaris now provides an expanded mechanism, which includes automated restart, for applications historically started via the init script mechanism. The Service Management Facility (introduced in smf(5)) is the preferred delivery mechanism for persistently running applica- tions. Existing init.d scripts will, however, continue to be executed according to the rules in this manual page. The details of execution in relation to managed services are available in svc.startd(1M). On earlier Solaris releases, a script named with a suffix of '.sh' would be sourced, allowing scripts to modify the environment of other scripts executed later. This behavior is no longer supported; for altering the environment in which services are run, see the setenv sub- command in svccfg(1M). /sbin/rc2 has references to the obsolescent rc.d directory. These references are for compatibility with old INSTALL scripts. New INSTALL scripts should use the init.d directory for related executables. The same is true for the shutdown.d directory. 17 Aug 2005 init.d(4)