Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copying with directory structure Post 302147696 by bakunin on Wednesday 28th of November 2007 04:26:44 AM
Old 11-28-2007
The way our fathers (and the fathers of our fathers) told us to do such things is:

- create a tar-file

- transmit this tar-file (by ftp, whatever)

- untar the file

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a Directory Structure to a new structure

Hi all Is it possible to copy a structure of a directory only. e.g. I have a file with the following entries that is a result of a find :- /dir1/dir2/file.dbf /dir1/dir2/dir3/file1.dbf /dir1/file.dbf I want to copy these to a directory and keep the structure however starting at a new dir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MV files from one directory structure(multiple level) to other directory structure

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will move all the files from source directory structure(multiple levels might exist) to destination directory structure. If a sub folder is source doesnot exist in destination then I have to skip and goto next level. I also need to delete the files in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srmadab
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in Directory Structure

I have writen the following code to show the dirctory structure. Can any body help me for using the recursive function in this code? echo "-(0)" echo "$HOME-(1)" cd ~ set * for i in `ls $HOME` do if then echo ".....${i}" cd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: murtaza
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection and copying with same directory structure

Dear Experts, How can I solve this problem ? I want to redirect with having the same directory structure as in my input. for temp in `find ./CSV/ -name "*.v"` do fname = `basename $temp` ./script.sh $temp > ./out/$fname done But my problem here is all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a directory structure with the latest versions of files

Hello I have three directory structures for code releases. Each directory structure looks like this: bash-3.00$ ls -R | more .: Test_Release_1 Test_Release_2 Test_Release_3 ./Test_Release_1/dbcode: rp_online_import_srdp.pkb-1 srdp_ar_validation.pkb-1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with copying specific parts of a file structure

Hello. I need help with copying part of a file structure to another directory while still keeping the structure. For example look below: ../folder1/sub1/txt.txt ../folder1/sub2/pic.png ../folder2/sub1/pic.png ../folder2/sub2/txt.txt So in this I would like to copy only the directories and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: the
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files to new dir structure.

I am trying to figure out a way to script copying specific files from one dir structure to another. I have a dir structure like this: dira/author 1/book 1/file a.epub /book 2/file b.epub /author 2/book 1/file c.epub /author 3/book 1/file d.epub /book 2/file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcanas
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying the dir/subdir structure from one server to another?

Hi All, I want to copy the dir/subdir structure from SERVER-A to SERVER-B without copying all the files in each dir. Is it possible using SCP / SFTP command? For example, SERVER-A has following two dir/subdirectories and files under each subdir. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files from various folders to similar folder structure in another location

Hi, I need to write a script the has to copy the files from folders and subfolders to the same folder structure located in another location. Ex: mainfolder1 file1,file2,file3 subfolder1(file1,etc) subfolder2(file1,etc) to another folder location of same folder structure. rsync is not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raji Perumal
7 Replies
tk_chooseDirectory(n)					       Tk Built-In Commands					     tk_chooseDirectory(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
tk_chooseDirectory - pops up a dialog box for the user to select a directory. SYNOPSIS
tk_chooseDirectory ?option value ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The procedure tk_chooseDirectory pops up a dialog box for the user to select a directory. The following option-value pairs are possible as command line arguments: -initialdir dirname Specifies that the directories in directory should be displayed when the dialog pops up. If this parameter is not specified, then the directories in the current working directory are displayed. If the parameter specifies a relative path, the return value will convert the relative path to an absolute path. -mustexist boolean Specifies whether the user may specify non-existent directories. If this parameter is true, then the user may only select directo- ries that already exist. The default value is false. -parent window Makes window the logical parent of the dialog. The dialog is displayed on top of its parent window. On Mac OS X, this turns the file dialog into a sheet attached to the parent window. -title titleString Specifies a string to display as the title of the dialog box. If this option is not specified, then a default title will be dis- played. EXAMPLE
set dir [tk_chooseDirectory -initialdir ~ -title "Choose a directory"] if {$dir eq ""} { label .l -text "No directory selected" } else { label .l -text "Selected $dir" } SEE ALSO
tk_getOpenFile(n), tk_getSaveFile(n) KEYWORDS
directory, selection, dialog, platform-specific Tk 8.3 tk_chooseDirectory(n)