Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Sun Solaris Ultra 10 Not booting! Post 302147602 by porter on Tuesday 27th of November 2007 09:13:14 PM
Old 11-27-2007
I've had all kinds of problems with my Ultra-10s centered around memory. I don't know if it's bad memory, bad connections, oxidisation, corrosion or what. I was getting "RED STATE EXCEPTION" after the machine warmed up which tended to kill things. I eventually junked the two 256Mb memory DIMMS and now use just two 128Mb.

Then there is the whole "bad capacitor" lark.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Tape Drive Connected to a Sun Ultra 10/Solaris 2.7

I have a Sun Ultra 10/Solaris 2.7 with a differential SCSI card connected to a Supter DLt1 Tape Drive. When I boot the machine, and I do a probe-scsi-all in the very beginning of the boot process. It shows up correctly. If I wait for the boot process to proceed and then I do a probe-scsi-all, I get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brv
1 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Using a Sun Ultra 5 at work

I wouldn't call myself exactly new to Unix. I've played with Linux before so I can get around alright. I just have never really learned the basics, like setting a user's path. How do I do that on my Sun station? Obvioulsly, I've got several different bins, but I can only use the commands in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skinnell2
1 Replies

3. UNIX Benchmarks

Sun Ultra 2 Solaris 8

Sparc Ultra2: Notes prtdiag: System Configuration: Sun Microsystems sun4u Sun Ultra 2 UPA/SBus (2 X UltraSPARC-II 296MHz) System clock frequency: 99 MHz Memory size: 768 Megabytes ========================= CPUs ========================= Run Ecache CPU CPU... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tnorth
0 Replies

4. UNIX Benchmarks

Sun Ultra 30 Solaris 8

Sun Ultra30 Solaris 8 Notes: ... Results: System -- SunOS box 5.8 Generic_108528-23 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-30 Start Benchmark Run: Fri Sep 12 11:59:12 EDT 2003 1 interactive users. Dhrystone 2 without register variables 502087.7 lps (10 secs, 6 samples) Dhrystone 2 using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tnorth
2 Replies

5. Solaris

sun ultra or sun sparkstation

am wonder wich sun computer is better, a sun ultra or sun sparkstation, and what is the difference (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobody
7 Replies

6. Solaris

sun ultra

Hi Guys, I have a 2nd hand Sun ultra-5, I wanted to know how to be able to run it as a normal window. I do not have any experience whatsoever with solaris/unix. Does anyone can give me a clue where to start. When I switch it goes to: unix console login: pa$$word: #UNIX sendmail : enable to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lingosa
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Problem booting Sun ultra enterprise 450 server

Hi, I have a sun ultra enterprise 450 server. This server powers on and a white screen appears with the system and network information. But it doesnot boot up completely. Booting operation wil be halted by a warning: \usr\sbin\fsck not found. Most likely the mount of \usr failed or the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tgashwini
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Sun Ultra Enterprise 4500 not booting

Hi, I hope anyone could help me on this. Here we have an Ultra Enterprise 4500 server. Since a few days ago, when starting the system, it showed a message about a faulty CPU fan. So, we manage to clean it up by removing it and then installing it back (as in the user manual). After that, when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lonchus
2 Replies

9. Solaris

SUN ULTRA 45 - Solaris

hi, my sun box hangs- KEYBOARD not found. Using hyper link it boots and then hangs without able to access or get ok promt ----SCREEN SHOT AS-------------------------------------------------- ˙Loading onboard drivers: ebus i2c i2c i2c ppm /ebus@1f,464000: flashprom rtc serial serial env-monitor... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathav22
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Cannot install Sun Solaris 10 on Ultra 10

http://www.unix.com/images/smilies/mad.gif Hi, this is parameswar. I have two sun ultra 5/10 workstations processor is sparc IIi 440 and ram is 512 but without hard disk and cdrom so can i use seagate 40Gb and sony dvd writer which is presented in windows pc. Both are IDE cables. while I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parameswar
1 Replies
BAD144(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 BAD144(8)

NAME
bad144 - read/write DEC standard 144 bad sector information SYNOPSIS
bad144 disktype disk [ sno [ bad ... ] ] DESCRIPTION
Bad144 can be used to inspect the information stored on a disk that is used by the disk drivers to implement bad sector forwarding. The format of the information is specified by DEC standard 144, as follows. The bad sector information is located in the first 5 even numbered sectors of the last track of the disk pack. There are five identical copies of the information, described by the dkbad structure. Only the first of these copies is used. Replacement sectors are allocated starting with the first sector before the bad sector information and working backwards towards the begin- ning of the disk. A maximum of 126 bad sectors can be supported. The position of the bad sector in the bad sector table determines which replacement sector it corresponds to. The bad sector information and replacement sectors are conventionally only accessible through the ``h'' file system partition of the disk. If that partition is used for a file system, the user is responsible for making sure that it does not overlap the bad sector information or any replacement sectors. The bad sector structure is as follows: struct dkbad { long bt_csn; /* cartridge serial number */ u_short bt_mbz; /* unused; should be 0 */ u_short bt_flag; /* -1 => alignment cartridge */ struct bt_bad { u_short bt_cyl; /* cylinder number of bad sector */ u_short bt_trksec; /* track and sector number */ } bt_bad[MAXBAD]; }; Unused slots in the bt_bad array are filled with all bits set, a putatively illegal value. MAXBAD (in <sys/dkbad.h>) may be tuned locally to reduce the space required to hold the bad-sector file in memory. It may not be greater than 126, which uses the whole disk sector. Bad sectors past MAXBAD may be included by the formatter, but replacement sectors will not be used until MAXBAD is increased. Bad144 is invoked by giving a device type (e.g. rk07, rm03, rm05, etc.), and a device name (e.g. hk0, hp1, etc.). It reads the first sec- tor of the last track of the corresponding disk and prints out the bad sector information. It may also be invoked giving a serial number for the pack and a list of bad sectors, and will then write the supplied information onto the same location. Note, however, that bad144 does not arrange for the specified sectors to be marked bad in this case. This option should only be used to restore known bad sector information which was destroyed. New bad sectors can be added by running the standard DEC formatter in section ``bad.'' SEE ALSO
badsect(8) BUGS
Not all drivers support bad-sector forwarding on the PDP-11. It should be possible to both format disks on-line under UNIX and to change the bad sector information, marking new bad sectors, without running a standalone program. The bootstrap drivers used to boot the system do not understand bad sectors or handle ECC errors. This means that none of these errors can occur when reading the file /unix to boot. Sector 0 of the disk drive and the file /boot in the root file system of that drive must also not have any of these errors in it. The drivers that write a system core image on disk after a crash do not handle errors; thus the crash dump area must be free of errors and bad sectors. 3rd Berkeley Distribution BAD144(8)