Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NAWK getline function
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting NAWK getline function Post 302147388 by Raynon on Monday 26th of November 2007 10:20:28 PM
Old 11-26-2007
Hi Smiling Dragon,

Thanks for your suggestion . I have thought about that too. However, this awk statement of mine is being embedded in a larger awk program. It would be cleaner and more convenient to use " getline " to get the input file as there are more than 10 input files. In this example i am only showing one input file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk user-defined function

HELP!!!! I am in an on-line shell programming class and have a question. Here is the data: Mike Harrington:(510) 548-1278:250:100:175 Christian Dobbins:(408) 538-2358:155:90:201 Susan Dalsass:(206) 654-6279:250:60:50 (There are 12 contribuors total) This database contains names, phone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NewbieGirl
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk Time Function

Hi All, I am using solaris and nawk. Is there any time function in nawk which is simliar to the shell `date` function ? Can any experts show any examples? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to access values of awk/nawk variables outside the awk/nawk block?

i'm new to shell scripting and have a problem please help me in the script i have a nawk block which has a variable count nawk{ . . . count=count+1 print count } now i want to access the value of the count variable outside the awk block,like.. s=`expr count / m` (m is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saniya
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

NAWK - looping with match() function

i'm trying to use the "before" output from the match() function as part of the results of each Regex match... but... My input data: (from an input file) i only show the first record in my file.. all other records are similar. mds_ar/bin/uedw92wp.ksh:cat $AI_SQL/wkly_inqry.sql... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmauer
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nesting - two nawk into one nawk

hi people; this is my two awk code: nawk '/cell+-/{r=(NF==8) ? $4FS$5FS$6 : NF==7 ? $4FS$5 : $4 ;c=split(r,rr);for (i=1;i<=c;i++){if(rr != "111111"){printf($3" %d ""\n",(i+3))}}printf("")}' /home/gc_sw/str.txt > /home/gc_sw/predwn.txt nawk -F'*' '{gsub(/ *$/,"")}$0=$1$($NF-2)'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
2 Replies

6. Programming

getline()

I can not get 'getline()' to compile. I have tried. string curLine; //= compiler error char* curLine; //=compiler error char curLine; //=compiler error Every example I see uses a string as a getline(); parameter. It does not work for me on Fedora14 with gcc-c++. Thank you so much. This... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sepoto
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help using SYSTEM function in NAWK

I am scanning a file (line by line) for format errors. A line could have multiple errors. Each field in the line is evaluated for errors and sent, along w/ any error messages, to a temporary file. Finally, if any errors were detected, this temporary file is then appended to the errorFile. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aschera
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk getline

I'm running the script below and get the output below against a file with lineA=aaa lineB=bbb lineC=ccc lineD=ddd I get output: lineC=ccc lineD=ddd I need the output to be: lineB=bbb lineC=ccc lineD=ddd cat filename | nawk '/lineA=aaa/ { getline; do { getline (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: toor13
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk Problem - nawk out of space in tostring on

Hi.. i am running nawk scripts on solaris system to get records of file1 not in file2 and find duplicate records in a while with the following scripts -compare nawk 'NR==FNR{a++;next;} !a {print"line"FNR $0}' file1 file2duplicate - nawk '{a++}END{for(i in a){if(a-1)print i,a}}' file1in the middle... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhiraj Singh
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk getline function help

Hello All , I have to split a file as well as keep the header in all the splitted files. For this I am using the getline function of awk to keep the header however the catch is header is of 4 lines and I have to hold all the 4 lines by getline function(or is there any other option ???) into a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
5 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)