Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Loop Trouble
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Loop Trouble Post 302147325 by grial on Monday 26th of November 2007 10:50:49 AM
Old 11-26-2007
I would use "case" instead... Something like:

Code:
[...]
   OK=0
   ans=
   while (( ! $OK )); do
      echo "Delete "$j" ? (y/n)"
      read ans
      case $ans in
      y|Y)
         rm $j
         OK=1;;
      n|N)
         echo "Skipping $j";;
      *)
         echo "Bad choice.Enter either y/n.";;
      esac
   done
[...]

Regards.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start more than one database - trouble with for loop

I have seen this done before - and maybe there is a better way too. I want to be abe to use a for loop (or other better method) to loop through the database instance names that are part of the script - not an external file where a read might be ok. Here is what I have and I know won't work -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave-mentor
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop syntax trouble

i don't get what's wrong here. i'm writing a shell script that takes 1 argument (a number) from the command-line, but it's throwing an error: Syntax error: Bad for loop variable doesn't make much sense for (( i = 1; i = ${1}; i++ )) # error points to this line everytime do echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: visitorQ
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with a file path as awk output in for loop

When I run the following command in the shell it works fine. It prints a city name and then a path for a file. ~$ for i in `awk -F':' '{print $0}' /home/knoppix/Desktop/data/subs | grep -m 1 $ city | sed "s/:/ /"` >do >echo $i >done Now, when I place it in this shell script (sh) it prints... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: afroCluster
6 Replies

5. Programming

trouble with loop counting

HI there, I am trying to count manually what this code does but I am stuck and I don't learly see the result. The code works and it compiles and runs but I just don't follow the value of var. #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> #include<sys/types.h> #include<unistd.h> #include<wait.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluetxxth
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble displaying parameters passed into a for loop

#!/bin/bash function check_num_args() { if ; then echo "Please provide a file name" else treat_as_file $* fi } function treat_as_file() { numFiles=$# for((i=1;i<=$numFiles;i++));do echo $i ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikilahooch
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble understand and using for loop

Good evening all I have what might be a simple problem to solve but I do not know how to solve it myself. I am writing a bash script and my code looks something like this: mp3=`ls | grep \.mp3` for f in $mp3 do echo $f done Basically what I want to do is look through the current... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mistsong1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Considerable trouble with for loop in combination with awk

I have the text file where each line has the format: chr10 101418889 101418904 0.816327 Right now the interval between column 2 and 3 is 15. I only want the two consecutive positions starting at position 1, write it to a file, then move up one position write to file etc. So that: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jfern
1 Replies
xpacmdnew(3)							SAORD Documentation						      xpacmdnew(3)

NAME
XPACmdNew - create a new XPA public access point for commands SYNOPSIS
#include <xpa.h> XPA XPACmdNew(char *class, char *name); DESCRIPTION
Create a new XPA public access point for commands that will share a common identifier class:name. Enter this access point into the XPA name server, so that it can be accessed by external processes. XPACmdNew() returns an XPA struct. It often is more convenient to have one public access point that can manage a number of commands, rather than having individual access points for each command. For example, it is easier to command the ds9 image display using: echo "colormap I8" | xpaset ds9 echo "scale log" | xpaset ds9 echo "file foo.fits" | xpaset ds9 then to use: echo "I8" | xpaset ds9_colormap echo "log" | xpaset ds9_scale echo "foo.fits" | xpaset ds9_file In the first case, the commands remain the same regardless of the target XPA name. In the second case, the command names must change for each instance of ds9. That is, if a second instance of ds9 called DS9 were running, it would be commanded either as: echo "colormap I8" | xpaset DS9 echo "scale log" | xpaset DS9 echo "file foo.fits" | xpaset DS9 or as: echo "I8" | xpaset DS9_colormap echo "log" | xpaset DS9_scale echo "foo.fits" | xpaset DS9_file Thus, in cases where a program is going to manage many commands, it generally is easier to define them as commands associated with the XPACmdNew() routine, rather than as separate access points using XPANew(). When XPACmdNew() is called, only the class:name identifier is specified. Each sub-command is subsequently defined using the XPACmdAdd() routine. SEE ALSO
See xpa(7) for a list of XPA help pages version 2.1.14 June 7, 2012 xpacmdnew(3)