Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 x86 Installation Will Not Boot From CD Disks Post 302147282 by xramm on Monday 26th of November 2007 07:33:06 AM
Old 11-26-2007
Old Sun Hw does not have DVD ROM so it is mandatory to use CD-ROMs consequently.

If you download CD-ROMs from Sun site it must not be a problem ? Maybe you'd better to try from beginning..just watch out comments by Sun how to prepare ISO s and how to install...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris x86 - 2 new disks

Have a compaq dl380 proliant installed with solaris.. It has a smart array 5i controller.. currently I have 2 18gb disks - mirrored as far as I can see... I have just put in 2 36gb disks (just physically put in) How do I get solaris to recognise them so I can use them? format command - only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 installation on X86

During installation on the desktop the error message crops up. "Failed to initialize hotplug controllers". Any help. Thanks. Chad (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike Chad
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Installation of Solaris 10 11/06 on X86 Platform with Xp SP2 as dual boot

Please help to install Solaris 10 11/06 on X86 platform with XP Sp2 as dual boot . Iam not unable to complete the installation as it shows that NO DISK AVAILABLE even i have assigned the unpartioned space of 30 GB PLz help me as my life was tired to do Installation before i retire from the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skargarika
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris X86 grub boot menu

I have a x4200 m2 that I've installed Solaris 10 on. I've created a raid 1 mirror using disk0 and disk1. I'm trying to add the mirror bootblk to the grub menu so in case of a failure of disk0, I can simply boot from the mirrored disk1. I'm looking for the syntax to add the alternate boot path to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gonzotonka
5 Replies

5. Solaris

x86 Solaris 8 does not boot.

Hello, First of all I must say that I have 0 solaris experience and only some average linux knowledge. One of my friends came to ask for my help today with a Solaris 8 x86 station that would not boot. The system is a pentium 4 1.6 ghz, 1gb ram, 40 gb hdd. When I turn it on, I get ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogusrl
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris x86 installation using jumpstart does not local boot ( boot from hdd)

I am trying to install Solaris x86 using the Jumpstart server. I run the add_install_client command with appropriate options, and reboot my x86 Target box. The installation starts fine and unattended. After the installation completes and the target goes for a re-boot, it does not boot from the HDD... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
9 Replies

7. Solaris

Disks not reconize during solaris 10 installation

Hi all, I am installing Solaris 10 on a new server Sun Blade X6270. During the installation i get this error: ''disk not found'' I try to replug the disks but the same error eppear. Disks reference: SAS 146GB Seagate 10000RPM Do i need to install disk or controller's driver? or do another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saki_jumeau
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Can't have the GRUB menu for solaris x86 installation

Dears, I'm trying to install solaris x86 on sun x4170 M2 I started connecting consol to the machine but when I do the reset /SYS command nothing changed I can see that the /SYS is powered on but I can get the GRUB menu to start the installation of the solaris. the solaris DVD is already... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: engwzwz
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 Installation - Disks missing, and Raid

Hey everyone. First, let me start by saying I'm primarily focused on linux boxes, and just happened to get pulled into building two T5220's. I'm not super educated on sun boxes. Both T5220's have 8 146GB 15k SAS drives. Inside the service processor, I can run SHOW /SYS/HDD{0-7} and they all come... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Boot Solaris 10 U1 for x86 from DVD

Is it possible to boot an existing Solaris 10 update 1 from boot dvd that I run on p3(1 ghz -512 mb ram). I have got a dual boot sys - the other os is win xp that I need to reinstall but that removes the mbr so, is there any way to recover mbr after the installation of xp? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
3 Replies
hsfs(7FS)							   File Systems 							 hsfs(7FS)

NAME
hsfs - High Sierra & ISO 9660 CD-ROM file system DESCRIPTION
HSFS is a file system type that allows users access to files on High Sierra or ISO 9660 format CD-ROM disks from within the SunOS operat- ing system. Once mounted, a HSFS file system provides standard SunOS read-only file system operations and semantics. That is, users can read files and list files in a directory on a High Sierra or ISO 9660 CD-ROM, and applications can use standard UNIX system calls on these files and directories. This file system also contains support for the Rock Ridge Extensions. If the extensions are contained on the CD-ROM, then the file sys- tem will provide all of the file system semantics and file types of UFS, except for writability and hard links. If your /etc/vfstab file contains a line similar to /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s0 -/hsfs hsfs -no ro and /hsfs exists, you can mount an HSFS file system with either of the following commands: mount -F hsfs -o ro device-special directory-name or mount /hsfs Normally, if Rock Ridge extensions exist on the CD-ROM, the file system will automatically use those extensions. If you do not want to use the Rock Ridge extensions, use the ``nrr'' (No Rock Ridge) mount option. The mount command would then be: mount -F hsfs -o ro,nrr device-special directory-name Files on a High Sierra or ISO 9660 CD-ROM disk have names of the form filename.ext;version, where filename and the optional ext consist of a sequence of uppercase alphanumeric characters (including ``_''), while the version consists of a sequence of digits, representing the version number of the file. HSFS converts all the uppercase characters in a file name to lowercase, and truncates the ``;'' and version information. If more than one version of a file is present on the CD-ROM, only the file with the highest version number is accessible. Conversion of uppercase to lowercase characters may be disabled by using the -o nomaplcase option to mount(1M). (See mount_hsfs(1M)). If the CD-ROM contains Rock Ridge extensions, the file names and directory names may contain any character supported under UFS. The names may also be upper and/or lower case and will be case sensitive. File name lengths can be as long as those of UFS. Files accessed through HSFS have mode 555 (owner, group and world readable and executable), uid 0 and gid 3. If a directory on the CD-ROM has read permission, HSFS grants execute permission to the directory, allowing it to be searched. With Rock Ridge extensions, files and directories can have any permissions that are supported on a UFS file system; however, despite any write permissions, the file system is read-only, with EROFS returned to any write operations. High Sierra and ISO 9660 CD-ROMs support only regular files and directories, thus HSFS supports only these file types. A Rock Ridge CD-ROM can support regular files, directories, and symbolic links, as well as device nodes, such as block, character, and FIFO. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample Display of File System Files If there is a file BIG.BAR on a High Sierra or ISO 9660 format CD-ROM it will show up as big.bar when listed on a HSFS file system. If there are three files BAR.BAZ;1 BAR.BAZ;2 and BAR.BAZ;3 on a High Sierra or ISO 9660 format CD-ROM, only the file BAR.BAZ;3 will be accessible. It will be listed as bar.baz. SEE ALSO
mount(1M), mount_hsfs(1M), vfstab(4) N. V. Phillips and Sony Corporation, System Description Compact Disc Digital Audio, ("Red Book"). N. V. Phillips and Sony Corporation, System Description of Compact Disc Read Only Memory, ("Yellow Book"). IR "Volume and File Structure of CD-ROM for Information Interchange", ISO 9660:1988(E). DIAGNOSTICS
hsfs: Warning: the file system... does not conform to the ISO-9660 spec The specific reason appears on the following line. You might be attempting to mount a CD-ROM containing a different file system, such as UFS. hsfs: Warning: the file system... contains a file [with an] unsupported type The hsfs file system does not support the format of some file or directory on the CD-ROM, for example a record structured file. hsfs: hsnode table full, %d nodes allocated There are not enough HSFS internal data structure elements to handle all the files currently open. This problem may be overcome by adding a line of the form set hsfs:nhsnode=number to the /etc/system system configuration file and rebooting. See system(4). WARNINGS
Do not physically eject a CD-ROM while the device is still mounted as a HSFS file system. Under MS-DOS (for which CD-ROMs are frequently targeted), files with no extension may be represented either as filename. or filename that is, with or without a trailing period. These names are not equivalent under UNIX systems. For example, the names BAR. and BAR are not names for the same file under the UNIX system. This may cause confusion if you are consulting documentation for CD-ROMs originally intended for MS-DOS systems. Use of the -o notraildot option to mount(1M) makes it optional to specify the trailing dot. (See mount_hsfs(1M)). NOTES
No translation of any sort is done on the contents of High Sierra or ISO 9660 format CD-ROMs; only directory and file names are subject to interpretation by HSFS. SunOS 5.10 25 Apr 1994 hsfs(7FS)