Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Hostname displays incorrectly Post 302147111 by prowla on Sunday 25th of November 2007 03:58:30 AM
Old 11-25-2007
You're right - it's a preference thing.

I don't like a long prompt, so I trim down the path to just the last directory name; I use:
Code:
PS1="$(uname -n):\${PWD##*/}(!)$ "

I find that is both compact and informative.

The issue with two-line prompts (for me) is that you're wasting screen lines.

If you want to get really clever, you can issue colour change directives in the prompt, or even set the window title.
But that tends to fall apart if you use a different shell or terminal emulator.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing to a log file incorrectly

I have this script: #!/bin/ksh ######### Environment Setup ######### PATH=/gers/nurev/menu/pub/sbin:/gers/nurev/menu/pub/bin:/gers/nurev/menu/pub/mac :/gers/nurev/menu/adm/sbin:/gers/nurev/menu/adm/bin:/gers/nurev/menu/adm/mac:/ge... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: heprox
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PATH variable set incorrectly?

I've noted that in order to use commands like ifconfig, I have to prefix the commands with the directory. /etc/profile shows that the paths should be part of the PATH environment variable; any idea where the bug is? :confused: # /etc/profile # System wide environment and startup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jon80
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

character displayed incorrectly by ftp

Hi there, I have a ftp server called atlantis. Because of the f...g french characters, I noticed something very weird. Depending on what program I use (ftp, lftp or ssh) the same character is displayed as three different ways. On my local computer, the file is correctly displayed as "modéles".... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
1 Replies

5. AIX

Command last displays wrong hostname

I faced an interesting problem on my AIX servers. When I checked last logins with command last I saw that hostnames are wrong. Let say, I made login from workstation xxxxx and with the command last I saw: root pts/2 yyyyy 5 jan 15:38 still logged in Ping xxxxx and ping... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giovanni
3 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

HP UX - ILO Console hostname different than Machine Hostname...

Hi All, So we added a new HP-UX 11.31 machine. Copied OS via Ignite-UX (DVD)over from this machine called machine_a. It was supposed to be named machine_c. And it is when you log in...however when I'm in the ILO console before logging in, it says: It should say: What gives? And how do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strings comparing incorrectly

Hello I'm very new to Linux and shell scripting so I only know basic stuff. I'm making a script with the purpose of finding the longest string or word in a file. Here's what I got so far: #!/bin/bash longest="" for i in $(strings -n $1); do if ] then longest=$i fi done echo $longest... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SCB
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Incorrectly using 'ls' in if/then alias

I have an alias defined in which I wish to print the contents of a specific directory using 'ls' based on the if/then condition. The if/then conditions are being correctly evaluated, and the 'ls <path>' result is correct (tested directly in a terminal) although for some reason it seems the 'ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coldcoffeecup
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hostname -f hostname: Unknown host

deleted (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
0 Replies
hmmalign(1)							   HMMER Manual 						       hmmalign(1)

NAME
hmmalign - align sequences to a profile HMM SYNOPSIS
hmmalign [options] <hmmfile> <seqfile> DESCRIPTION
Perform a multiple sequence alignment of all the sequences in seqfile, by aligning them individually to the profile HMM in hmmfile. The new alignment is output to stdout in Stockholm format. The sequences in seqfile are aligned in unihit local alignment mode. Therefore they should already be known to contain a single domain; they should not contain more than one domain. They may be fragments. The optimal alignment may assign some residues as nonhomologous (N and C states), in which case these residues are still included in the resulting alignment, but shoved to the outer edges. To trim these nonhomologous residues from the result, see the --trim option. OPTIONS
-h Help; print a brief reminder of command line usage and all available options. -o <f> Direct the output alignment to file <f>, rather than to stdout. --allcol Include columns in the output alignment for every match (consensus) state in the hmmfile, even if it means having all-gap columns. This is useful in analysis pipelines that need to be able to maintain a predetermined profile HMM architecture (with an unchanging number of consensus columns) through an hmmalign step. --mapali <f> Merge the existing alignment in file <f> into the result, where <f> is exactly the same alignment that was used to build the model in hmmfile. This is done using a map of alignment columns to consensus profile positions that is stored in the hmmfile. The multi- ple alignment in <f> will be exactly reproduced in its consensus columns (as defined by the profile), but the displayed alignment in insert columns may be altered, because insertions relative to a profile are considered by convention to be unaligned data. --trim Trim nonhomologous residues (assigned to N and C states in the optimal alignments) from the resulting multiple alignment output. --amino Specify that all sequences in seqfile are proteins. By default, alphabet type is autodetected from looking at the residue composi- tion. --dna Specify that all sequences in seqfile are DNAs. --rna Specify that all sequences in seqfile are RNAs. --informat <s> Declare that the input seqfile is in format <s>. Accepted sequence file formats include FASTA, EMBL, Genbank, DDBJ, Uniprot, Stock- holm, and SELEX. Default is to autodetect the format of the file. --outformat <s> Specify that the msafile is in format <s>. Currently the accepted multiple alignment sequence file formats only include Stockholm and SELEX. Default is to autodetect the format of the file. SEE ALSO
See hmmer(1) for a master man page with a list of all the individual man pages for programs in the HMMER package. For complete documentation, see the user guide that came with your HMMER distribution (Userguide.pdf); or see the HMMER web page (@HMMER_URL@). COPYRIGHT
@HMMER_COPYRIGHT@ @HMMER_LICENSE@ For additional information on copyright and licensing, see the file called COPYRIGHT in your HMMER source distribution, or see the HMMER web page (@HMMER_URL@). AUTHOR
Eddy/Rivas Laboratory Janelia Farm Research Campus 19700 Helix Drive Ashburn VA 20147 USA http://eddylab.org HMMER
@HMMER_VERSION@ @HMMER_DATE@ hmmalign(1)