Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copy Compress as one command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copy Compress as one command Post 302147068 by matrixmadhan on Saturday 24th of November 2007 11:14:40 AM
Old 11-24-2007
Just to make sure, do you have enough permissions to create the file in the specified directory ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpio command with compress

Hi friends.. I want to be able to copy a file from one location to another (locally). The location the files are copied to should have compressed instances of the files they were copied from. copy from /home/user/test.file copy to /backup/user/test.file.Z I need to be able to do this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshy
1 Replies

2. SCO

Help on compress command

Hello. Can any1 help me with the compress command. The -b option takes the number of bits used for encoding. can u expalin why this number of bits is used and for what purpose. what is the maximum number we can provide? In SFU these number has a valod range between 12 and 16 y?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compress and copy a Folder

hi Buddies , How can i Compress and move a folder through UNIX completely to windows 2000 through FTP. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scorpiyanz
1 Replies

4. Linux

lp command with compress mode

I want to know whether lp command is having option for setting compess mode in linux.Is it possible to pass escape characters to lp command to set printing in compress mode. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zita
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress command

compress /var/opt/l2/amer/art2/USFINUM0200_.CSV compress /var/opt/l2/amer/art2/USFINUM200_.CSV compress /var/opt/l2/amer/art2/USFINUM020_.CSV compress /var/opt/l2/amer/art2/USFINUM20_.CSV Is there a way to shorten this or write it in a script. The file to be compressed will be USFINUM but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining mv and compress command

Hi All, I have a file in DirA/ABC.out a need to move to DirB.I am using the following steps now: mv DirA/ABC.out DirB compress -f DirB/ABC.out Is there a way to just do this one step as I have to move hundreds of files every hour. -Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_78_nyc
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy and compress

Is there a way to copy a file and compress it at the same time? I realize the file can be copied and then compressed, but I was wondering if it's possible to do it in a one-line command and for that matter, if it would be more efficient to perform the operation with a one-line command? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Command to compress a file

Hi, When we want to compress a file which is of huge size then what command is best for us.Kindly suggest on this. 1.Tar command or 2.gzip command OS -- Linux 2.6 Regards, Maddy (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - To copy and compress files one day ago

Hi dears, Hi All, I'm a new member of this Forum. I have need your help to handle this request. "I want to copy and Compress files not of today but of yesterday only using some script". For example I have the following files under a particular directory in a Solaris machine. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackyJohn
7 Replies
AFS-UP(1)						       AFS Command Reference							 AFS-UP(1)

NAME
up - Recursively copy directories, preserving AFS metadata SYNOPSIS
up [-v] [-1] [-f] [-r] [-x] [-m] <source directory> <destination directory> DESCRIPTION
The up command recursively copies the files and subdirectories in a specified source directory to a specified destination directory. The command interpreter changes the destination directory and the files and subdirectories in it in the following ways: o It copies the source directory's access control list (ACL) to the destination directory and its subdirectories, overwriting any existing ACLs. o If the issuer is logged on as the local superuser root and has AFS tokens as a member of the group system:administrators, then the source directory's owner (as reported by the "ls -ld" command) becomes the owner of the destination directory and all files and subdirectories in it. Otherwise, the issuer's user name is recorded as the owner. o If a file or directory exists in both the source and destination directories, the source version overwrites the destination version. The overwrite operation fails if the first (user) "w" (write) mode bit is turned off on the version in the destination directory, unless the -f flag is provided. o The modification timestamp on a file (as displayed by the "ls -l" command) in the source directory overwrites the timestamp on a file of the same name in the destination directory, but the timestamp on an existing subdirectory in the destination directory remains unchanged. If the command creates a new subdirectory in the destination directory, the new subdirectory's timestamp is set to the time of the copy operation, rather than to the timestamp that the subdirectory has in the source directory. The up command is idempotent, meaning that if its execution is interrupted by a network, server machine, or process outage, then a subsequent reissue of the same command continues from the interruption point, rather than starting over at the beginning. This saves time and reduces network traffic in comparison to the UNIX commands that provide similar functionality. The up command returns a status code of 0 (zero) only if it succeeds. Otherwise, it returns a status code of 1 (one). This command does not use the syntax conventions of the AFS command suites. Provide the command name and all option names in full. OPTIONS
-v Prints a detailed trace to the standard output stream as the command runs. -1 Copies only the files in the top level source directory to the destination directory, rather than copying recursively through subdirectories. The source directory's ACL still overwrites the destination directory's. (This is the number one, not the letter "l".) -f Overwrites existing directories, subdirectories, and files even if the first (user) "w" (write) mode bit is turned off on the version in the destination directory. -m Recognize and copy mount points rather than traversing the volumes they reference during the recursive copy operation. Without -m, up's default behavior is to copy the contents of all volumes and subvolumes mounted under the source directory into the volume containing the destination directory. -r Creates a backup copy of all files overwritten in the destination directory and its subdirectories, by adding a ".old" extension to each filename. -x Sets the modification timestamp on each file to the time of the copying operation. source directory Names the directory to copy recursively. destination directory Names the directory to which to copy. It does not have to exist already. EXAMPLES
The following command copies the contents of the directory dir1 to directory dir2: % up dir1 dir2 PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must have the "a" (administer) permission on the ACL of both the source and destination directories. COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 AFS-UP(1)