Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AWK equation evaluation.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK equation evaluation. Post 302146821 by drl on Thursday 22nd of November 2007 10:20:39 AM
Old 11-22-2007
Hi.

Many interpreted languages have an eval feature, e.g. snobol, perl,.

I don't know of one for awk, but I'd be happy to learn of one ... cheers, drl

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

equation calculation on Unix

Hay, guys, Any ideas how to calculate like this: in first file, there're number of lines listing 2+3, 6*9 ....... Then, how to get the result and put them in another file in format: 2+3 5 6*9 54 ...... sheerly by shell command, no scripts required. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robbinGlasses
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - maths equation - need help

if input to the perl program is ' ( p * ((a+b) * (c+d))) + q ' it shuld give the output as ' pac + pad + pbc + pbd + q ' .can anyone suggest a way to do this ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anuj8584
7 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

Performance Equation

I'm running a MPI program using a cluster of 4 machines(different machines of different processing power,cpu utilization etc.). I'm trying to balance the computation among the machine to get the minimum execution time for that. I tried to balance it by creating a threshold value by taking the load... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chamila1986
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK in IF evaluation in KSH

Hi - I have an expression that evaluates to "Alive" or some other condition. e.g. if I run :- awk -F \| '{gsub(/]*/,"",$4); print $4 }' then the output is "Alive". I want to be able to test this as the result may be some other condition other than "Alive". I have tried the following... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sniper57
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cp command evaluation

Hi all! I'm writting one script to copy a file in various folders, but there are 2 things to validate. First that the folder where i'll be cpying exists, and second that i have permissions to copy the file in it. so far i have found the way to validate the folder exists, but when trying to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: feliperivera
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with insert a value equation in bash script

HI All, I have a script in bash that i want that script will perform action When the size of a particular folder exceeds the 80%. Here is an example of script that result is exactly 80% : #!/bin/bash CHECK=$(df -h /var/log/syslog | grep '80%' | xargs echo | cut -d' ' -f5) if ];... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aviel.shani
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Solving heat equation using crank-nicolsan scheme in FORTRAN

! The one-dimensional PDE for heat diffusion equation ! u_t=(D(u)u_x)_x + s where u(x,t) is the temperature, ! D(u) is the diffusivity and s(x,t) is a source term. ! Taking D(u)= 1 and s(x,t)=0 gives ! u_t= u_xx ! uniform one dimensional region |x|<1 for t>0 ! uniform mesh size delta x=0.1 !... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: watto1
1 Replies

8. Programming

E**(i*pi)=-1 or e**(j*pi)=-1, something I found out in Python using part of Eulers Identit equation.

Well guys and gals I have discovered after all these years that Python does complex numbers without the 'complex()' function or 'cmath' import. It is well known that Euler's Identity E**(i*pi)+1=0 so I decided to experiment Last login: Fri Dec 13 18:27:30 on ttys000 AMIGA:amiga~> python3.8... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::ErrorHandling::RequireCheckingRetuUserlContributed PPerl::Critic::Policy::ErrorHandling::RequireCheckingReturnValueOfEval(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::ErrorHandling::RequireCheckingReturnValueOfEval - You can't depend upon the value of "$@"/"$EVAL_ERROR" to tell whether an "eval" failed. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
A common idiom in perl for dealing with possible errors is to use "eval" followed by a check of $@/$EVAL_ERROR: eval { ... }; if ($EVAL_ERROR) { ... } There's a problem with this: the value of $EVAL_ERROR can change between the end of the "eval" and the "if" statement. The issue is object destructors: package Foo; ... sub DESTROY { ... eval { ... }; ... } package main; eval { my $foo = Foo->new(); ... }; if ($EVAL_ERROR) { ... } Assuming there are no other references to $foo created, when the "eval" block in "main" is exited, "Foo::DESTROY()" will be invoked, regardless of whether the "eval" finished normally or not. If the "eval" in "main" fails, but the "eval" in "Foo::DESTROY()" succeeds, then $EVAL_ERROR will be empty by the time that the "if" is executed. Additional issues arise if you depend upon the exact contents of $EVAL_ERROR and both "eval"s fail, because the messages from both will be concatenated. Even if there isn't an "eval" directly in the "DESTROY()" method code, it may invoke code that does use "eval" or otherwise affects $EVAL_ERROR. The solution is to ensure that, upon normal exit, an "eval" returns a true value and to test that value: # Constructors are no problem. my $object = eval { Class->new() }; # To cover the possiblity that an operation may correctly return a # false value, end the block with "1": if ( eval { something(); 1 } ) { ... } eval { ... 1; } or do { # Error handling here }; Unfortunately, you can't use the "defined" function to test the result; "eval" returns an empty string on failure. Various modules have been written to take some of the pain out of properly localizing and checking $@/$EVAL_ERROR. For example: use Try::Tiny; try { ... } catch { # Error handling here; # The exception is in $_/$ARG, not $@/$EVAL_ERROR. }; # Note semicolon. "But we don't use DESTROY() anywhere in our code!" you say. That may be the case, but do any of the third-party modules you use have them? What about any you may use in the future or updated versions of the ones you already use? CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. SEE ALSO
See thread on perl5-porters starting here: <http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/perl5-porters/2008-06/msg00537.html>. For a nice, easy, non-magical way of properly handling exceptions, see Try::Tiny. AUTHOR
Elliot Shank "<perl@galumph.com>" COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2008-2011 Elliot Shank. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2014-0Perl::Critic::Policy::ErrorHandling::RequireCheckingReturnValueOfEval(3)