Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting deleting particular lines and moving a line up using perl/sed Post 302146811 by matrixmadhan on Thursday 22nd of November 2007 09:54:30 AM
Old 11-22-2007
Code:
awk '{ printf "%s", $0; getline;  getline; getline var; printf " %s\n", var }' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Multiple Lines with sed

I am trying to use sed to delete multiple lines in a file. The problem is that I need to search for a certain line and then once found delete it plus the next 4 lines. For instance if I had a file that consisted of the following lines: #Data1.start ( (Database= data1) (Name = IPC)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rambo15
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines above a certain line

Hi, I have a file that gets automatically generated and it would look something like sakjsd adssad {{word}} sddsasd dsdsasa . . . So basically what I want to do is just keep the stuff below the {{word}} marker. The marker includes the brackets. Is there any command to delete the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines after pattern using sed

I have seen there are many sed posts but still it is quite difficult to apply other post to my own problem How can I delete all lines in a file from 2 lines after this pattern *End_fine_coreg:_NORMAL to the end of file? Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larne
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help deleting lines with SED.

I take the /etc/passwd file and print it out, but I only want the lines that end with sh. I have cat /etc/passwd | sed '/sh/!d' Which prints out all lines that have sh somewhere in it. So I added $, which I thought matches the ends on lines, but its not working, like for example I have have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bandit390
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines using Sed

Hi All, Please can anyone help me as am deleting a line in a file with the below script: sed '/"$value"/d' redirects.virgin-atlantic.com.conf > olist where $value is a variable where the pattern to be matched is stored. I am not getting any error also but the line containing the pattern... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shazin
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: deleting 5 lines after a specified pattern

As an example (just an example, this could apply to any block of text) say I have this: architecture x86_64 cputype CPU_TYPE_X86_64 cpusubtype CPU_SUBTYPE_X86_64_ALL offset 4096 size 2972420 align 2^12 (4096) architecture ppc64 cputype CPU_TYPE_POWERPC64 cpusubtype... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting last 3 lines from a file via sed

Hi Anybody can help me to delete the last 3 lines from a text file via sed under SunOS 5.8? Thanks Aldar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldar
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving lines of file to command line

I have a file in which each line is the name of another file. Is there a way to serve them to the command line? For example, if the file contains file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt ... file9.txt is there a way to insert them in the command as a batch? If I ran a command like grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines matching a multi-line pattern (sed/perl/awk)

Dear Unix Forums, I am hoping you can help me with a pattern matching problem. What am I trying to do? I want to replace multiple lines of a text file (that match a multi-line pattern) with a single line of text. These patterns can span several lines and do not always have the same number of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thefang
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: how to merge two lines moving matched pattern to end of previous line

hello everyone, im new here, and also programming with awk, sed and grep commands on linux. In my text i have many lines with this config: 1 1 4 3 1 1 2 5 2 2 1 1 1 3 1 2 1 3 1 1 1 2 2 2 5 2 4 1 3 2 1 1 4 1 2 1 1 1 3 2 1 1 5 4 1 3 1 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satir
3 Replies
GETLINE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							GETLINE(3)

NAME
getline, getdelim - delimited string input SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> ssize_t getline(char **lineptr, size_t *n, FILE *stream); ssize_t getdelim(char **lineptr, size_t *n, int delim, FILE *stream); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): Before glibc 2.10: getline(), getdelim(): _GNU_SOURCE Since glibc 2.10: getline(), getdelim(): _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200809L || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 700 DESCRIPTION
getline() reads an entire line from stream, storing the address of the buffer containing the text into *lineptr. The buffer is null-termi- nated and includes the newline character, if one was found. If *lineptr is NULL, then getline() will allocate a buffer for storing the line, which should be freed by the user program. (In this case, the value in *n is ignored.) Alternatively, before calling getline(), *lineptr can contain a pointer to a malloc(3)-allocated buffer *n bytes in size. If the buffer is not large enough to hold the line, getline() resizes it with realloc(3), updating *lineptr and *n as necessary. In either case, on a successful call, *lineptr and *n will be updated to reflect the buffer address and allocated size respectively. getdelim() works like getline(), except a line delimiter other than newline can be specified as the delimiter argument. As with getline(), a delimiter character is not added if one was not present in the input before end of file was reached. RETURN VALUE
On success, getline() and getdelim() return the number of characters read, including the delimiter character, but not including the termi- nating null byte. This value can be used to handle embedded null bytes in the line read. Both functions return -1 on failure to read a line (including end-of-file condition). ERRORS
EINVAL Bad arguments (n or lineptr is NULL, or stream is not valid). VERSIONS
These functions are available since libc 4.6.27. CONFORMING TO
Both getline() and getdelim() were originally GNU extensions. They were standardized in POSIX.1-2008. EXAMPLE
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(void) { FILE *fp; char *line = NULL; size_t len = 0; ssize_t read; fp = fopen("/etc/motd", "r"); if (fp == NULL) exit(EXIT_FAILURE); while ((read = getline(&line, &len, fp)) != -1) { printf("Retrieved line of length %zu : ", read); printf("%s", line); } free(line); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
read(2), fgets(3), fopen(3), fread(3), gets(3), scanf(3), feature_test_macros(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2010-06-12 GETLINE(3)