Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how can i change the date of an existing file Post 302146766 by porter on Thursday 22nd of November 2007 06:56:57 AM
Old 11-22-2007
Code:
man touch

eg

touch filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

File Permissions change date

Hi, I was wondering if there is any way to find out when the file/directory's permissions were changed. Typically, when using 'chmod' to change a file/directory's permissions, the modification date does not change. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpatel
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting Date&Time Stamp In Existing Log File

I am trying to insert a line with a date stamp in a file that is used to monitor activity in one of our directories. By doing this, I want to grep that file each day and go to the last entry for each time a error occurred and pull all errors generated if any exist. If error exists I want that error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shephardfamily
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search file, change existing value based on input (awk help)

I have a file (status.file) of the form: valueA 3450 valueB -20 valueC -340 valueD 48 I am tailing a data.file, and need to search and modify a value in status.file...the tail is: tail -f data.file | awk '{ print $3, ($NF - $(NF-1)) }' which will produce lines that look like this: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nortonloaf
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move A File With Same Date,don't Change The Desitination Dir Date

Assume, I created one file three years back and I like to move the file to some other directory with the old date (Creation date)? Is it possible? Explain? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jee.ku2
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to change header date of a file

Hi, I am trying to write a code for changing header date of a file with a date of 6 month back. Below is the header date on which I am working - 20080531 I want to change it as 20071130 Please suggest me in the way like ,I can change any date in a file with date of 6 months back. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Monalisa
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to change name of a file with date

I have a file that contains todays date(for ex- test_08/30/2013) Now I want a script which will run and change the name of the file and put yesterday's date (for ex- test_08/29/2013) Please help. ---------- Post updated at 04:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:31 AM ---------- I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change date time stamp of existing file

I have a file hello.txt which was created today (today's date timestamp) I wish to change its date timestamp (access, modified, created) to 1 week old i.e one week from now. uname -a SunOS mymac 5.11 11.2 sun4v sparc sun4v Can you please suggest a easy way to do that ? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to change existing date to current date in a filename?

Suppose i have a list of files in a directory as mentioned below 1. Shankar_04152019_ny.txt 2. Gopi_shan_03122019_mi.txt 3. Siva_mourya_02242019_nd.txt .. . . . . 1000 . Jiva_surya_02282019_nd.txt query : At one shot i want to modify the above all filenames present in one path with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shankar455
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Change date format in a file.

Hi all, I have a file as below, i would like the change the format of the time from "11/7/2019 20:12" to "2019-07-11 20:12:00" in the last coloumn. any awk solution on this. Input: 2,0,695016,1961612,497212,5800804,0,0,161,33,7605,12226,23,10,66,0,0,34,11/7/2019 20:10... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raghuram717
4 Replies
fwtmp(1M)																 fwtmp(1M)

NAME
fwtmp, wtmpfix - manipulate connect accounting records SYNOPSIS
[files] DESCRIPTION
fwtmp reads from the standard input and writes to the standard output, converting binary records of the type found in to formatted ASCII records. The ASCII version is useful to enable editing, via ed(1), bad records or for general purpose maintenance of the file. The argument is used to denote that input is in ASCII form, and output is to be written in binary form. The arguments and are independent, respectively specifying ASCII input and binary output. Therefor, is an ASCII to ASCII copy and is a binary to binary copy. should be used for reading If is not used, structure is read. wtmpfix examines the standard input or named files in format, corrects the time/date stamps to make the entries consistent, and writes to the stan- dard output. A can be used in place of files to indicate the standard input. If time/date corrections are not performed, will fault when it encounters certain date-change records. Each time the date is set, a pair of date change records is written to The first record is the old date denoted by the string old time placed in the line field and the flag placed in the type field of the structure. The second record specifies the new date, and is denoted by the string placed in the line field and the flag placed in the type field. uses these records to synchronize all time stamps in the file. nullifies date change records when writing to the standard output by setting the time field of the structure in the old date change record equal to the time field in the new date change record. This prevents and from factoring in a date change record pair more than once. In addition to correcting time/date stamps, wtmpfix checks the validity of the name field to ensure that it consists solely of alphanumeric characters or spaces. If it encounters a name that is considered invalid, it changes the login name to and writes a diagnostic to the standard error. This minimizes the risk that will fail when processing connect accounting records. DIAGNOSTICS
wtmpfix generates the following diagnostics messages: WARNINGS
generates no errors, even on garbage input. FILES
SEE ALSO
ed(1), acct(1M), acctcms(1M), acctcom(1M), acctcon(1M), acctmerg(1M), acctprc(1M), acctsh(1M), runacct(1M), acct(2), acct(4), utmp(4), wtmps(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
fwtmp(1M)