Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting storing database query in a variable Post 302146696 by Smiling Dragon on Wednesday 21st of November 2007 10:41:04 PM
Old 11-21-2007
Show us what the output looks like and we can probably come up with something. In the meantime, I'd suggest that you want something like:
Code:
myvariable=`long-sql-command`

Use of awk and cut should be able to split out the data in the columns.

Without one of the redirects (at a guess, you should still redirect STDERR to the log but stop redirecting STDOUT so the calling script can capture it instead).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

query to get a value from database

Hi friends, I have written a script which retrieves one value from the database. It takes time for the sql query to get the desired output. So the query runs fine from TOAD or from UNIX console. However if I put this in a script it doesn't work. The script is as below. #! /bin/ksh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Database Query

Hi, Am using informix database. When i give "isqlrf <database name> - " from the command prompt , i get connected to the database and i can run sql queries.. I am moving to freeBSD and when i give the same command at the prompt i get an error : Index already exists on column Why is this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing a variable?

I'm writing a bash shell script to backup several mysql databases. This script will run on a daily basis and send a copy to a remote FTP repository. The filenames are in the format DATE.backup.sql. How do I store the DATE variable so I can delete/move/etc the file on the FTP server the next time... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoover90
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while storing sql query value in a variable

Hi, When i execute the below statement , the value is not getting stored in the variable. AnneeExercice=`sqlplus $LOGSQL/$PASSWORDSQL << FIN >> $GEMOLOG/gemo_reprev_reel_data_ventil_$filiale.trc SELECT bi09exercice FROM bi09_scenario WHERE bi09idfiliale=UPPER('de') AND ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

add the output of a query to a variable to be used in another query

I would like to use the result of a query in another query. How do I redirect/add the output to another variable? $result = odbc_exec($connect, $query); while ($row = odbc_fetch_array($result)) { echo $row,"\n"; } odbc_close($connect); ?> This will output hostnames: host1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hazno
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing information into a database.

Hey guys, i am having a problem in storing new data into a text file. The database in in a text file and it displays information like this : Name : Price : Quantity Persia : 80 : 30 Now , i have written the code to check if the book already exist in the Databse. Number= echo -n... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with storing oracle sqlplus query output shell script

Hello everyone, I have a RHEL 5 system and have been trying to get a batch of 3-4 scripts each in a separate variables and they are not working as expected. I tried using following syntax which I saw a lot of people on this site use and should really work, though for some reason it doesn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing the value of a single query to a Variable - What am i doing wrong?

I tried the below : #!/bin/ksh testvar=$( sqlplus $user/$pass << EOF set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off; whenever sqlerror exit 1 SELECT 1+1 FROM DUAl; COMMIT; EXIT; EOF) echo "testvar="$testvar The output that I am getting is : > sh example.sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
3 Replies

9. Programming

Database query

I am getting an error function in date formate while importing the date ccolumn in oracle sql developer tool My date format in table is 6-Nov-14 and while importing its converted to 6/11/14 eventhough the format is as 6-Nov-14 in excel. could you please let help me out what I need to change... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies
IO::CaptureOutput(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      IO::CaptureOutput(3)

NAME
IO::CaptureOutput - capture STDOUT and STDERR from Perl code, subprocesses or XS VERSION
This documentation describes version 1.1102. SYNOPSIS
use IO::CaptureOutput qw(capture qxx qxy); # STDOUT and STDERR separately capture { noisy_sub(@args) } $stdout, $stderr; # STDOUT and STDERR together capture { noisy_sub(@args) } $combined, $combined; # STDOUT and STDERR from external command ($stdout, $stderr, $success) = qxx( @cmd ); # STDOUT and STDERR together from external command ($combined, $success) = qxy( @cmd ); DESCRIPTION
This module provides routines for capturing STDOUT and STDERR from perl subroutines, forked system calls (e.g. "system()", "fork()") and from XS or C modules. FUNCTIONS
The following functions will be exported on demand. capture() capture &subroutine, $stdout, $stderr; Captures everything printed to "STDOUT" and "STDERR" for the duration of &subroutine. $stdout and $stderr are optional scalars that will contain "STDOUT" and "STDERR" respectively. "capture()" uses a code prototype so the first argument can be specified directly within brackets if desired. # shorthand with prototype capture { print __PACKAGE__ } $stdout, $stderr; Returns the return value(s) of &subroutine. The sub is called in the same context as "capture()" was called e.g.: @rv = capture { wantarray } ; # returns true $rv = capture { wantarray } ; # returns defined, but not true capture { wantarray }; # void, returns undef "capture()" is able to capture output from subprocesses and C code, which traditional "tie()" methods of output capture are unable to do. Note: "capture()" will only capture output that has been written or flushed to the filehandle. If the two scalar references refer to the same scalar, then "STDERR" will be merged to "STDOUT" before capturing and the scalar will hold the combined output of both. capture &subroutine, $combined, $combined; Normally, "capture()" uses anonymous, temporary files for capturing output. If desired, specific file names may be provided instead as additional options. capture &subroutine, $stdout, $stderr, $out_file, $err_file; Files provided will be clobbered, overwriting any previous data, but will persist after the call to "capture()" for inspection or other manipulation. By default, when no references are provided to hold STDOUT or STDERR, output is captured and silently discarded. # Capture STDOUT, discard STDERR capture &subroutine, $stdout; # Discard STDOUT, capture STDERR capture &subroutine, undef, $stderr; However, even when using "undef", output can be captured to specific files. # Capture STDOUT to a specific file, discard STDERR capture &subroutine, $stdout, undef, $outfile; # Discard STDOUT, capture STDERR to a specific file capture &subroutine, undef, $stderr, undef, $err_file; # Discard both, capture merged output to a specific file capture &subroutine, undef, undef, $mergedfile; It is a fatal error to merge STDOUT and STDERR and request separate, specific files for capture. # ERROR: capture &subroutine, $stdout, $stdout, $out_file, $err_file; capture &subroutine, undef, undef, $out_file, $err_file; If either STDOUT or STDERR should be passed through to the terminal instead of captured, provide a reference to undef -- "undef" -- instead of a capture variable. # Capture STDOUT, display STDERR capture &subroutine, $stdout, undef; # Display STDOUT, capture STDERR capture &subroutine, undef, $stderr; capture_exec() ($stdout, $stderr, $success, $exit_code) = capture_exec(@args); Captures and returns the output from "system(@args)". In scalar context, "capture_exec()" will return what was printed to "STDOUT". In list context, it returns what was printed to "STDOUT" and "STDERR" as well as a success flag and the exit value. $stdout = capture_exec('perl', '-e', 'print "hello world"'); ($stdout, $stderr, $success, $exit_code) = capture_exec('perl', '-e', 'warn "Test"'); "capture_exec" passes its arguments to "system()" and on MSWin32 will protect arguments with shell quotes if necessary. This makes it a handy and slightly more portable alternative to backticks, piped "open()" and "IPC::Open3". The $success flag returned will be true if the command ran successfully and false if it did not (if the command could not be run or if it ran and returned a non-zero exit value). On failure, the raw exit value of the "system()" call is available both in the $exit_code returned and in the $? variable. ($stdout, $stderr, $success, $exit_code) = capture_exec('perl', '-e', 'warn "Test" and exit 1'); if ( ! $success ) { print "The exit code was " . ($exit_code >> 8) . " "; } See perlvar for more information on interpreting a child process exit code. capture_exec_combined() ($combined, $success, $exit_code) = capture_exec_combined( 'perl', '-e', 'print "hello "', 'warn "Test " ); This is just like "capture_exec()", except that it merges "STDERR" with "STDOUT" before capturing output. Note: there is no guarantee that text printed to "STDOUT" and "STDERR" in the subprocess will be appear in order. The actual order will depend on how IO buffering is handled in the subprocess. qxx() This is an alias for "capture_exec()". qxy() This is an alias for "capture_exec_combined()". SEE ALSO
o IPC::Open3 o IO::Capture o IO::Utils o IPC::System::Simple AUTHORS
o Simon Flack <simonflk _AT_ cpan.org> (original author) o David Golden <dagolden _AT_ cpan.org> (co-maintainer since version 1.04) COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Portions copyright 2004, 2005 Simon Flack. Portions copyright 2007, 2008 David Golden. All rights reserved. You may distribute under the terms of either the GNU General Public License or the Artistic License, as specified in the Perl README file. perl v5.16.3 2010-02-15 IO::CaptureOutput(3)