Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming using signals instead of busy wait Post 302146448 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 20th of November 2007 02:33:31 PM
Old 11-20-2007
The alarm() api sets a timer and when the timer expires delivers SIGALRM to the calling process. Meanwhile the process is suspended.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CD Drive is busy

one problem which seems simple but i've faced many times is when i've used cd & want to eject, however i'm not in /dev/cdrom/... in any of my Xterms but it gives the message that the the CD drive is busy. the only thing i could do is /etc/init.d/volmgt stop & eject the CD manually but it doesn't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikk
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to execute 2 scripts, wait, execute 2 more wait, till end of file

:cool: I need to execute a shell script to do the following: cat a file run two back ground processes using the first two values from the file wait till those background processes finish run two more background processes using the next two values from the file wait till those background... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: halo98
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Filesystem mystery: disks are not busy on one machine, very busy on a similar box

Hi, We have a filesystem mystery on our hands. Given: 2 machines, A and Aa. Machine Aa is the problem machine. Machine A is running Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.22.9 #1 SMP Wed Feb 20 08:46:16 CST 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux. Machine Aa is running RHEL5.3, kernel 2.6.18-128.el5 #1 SMP Wed Dec 17 11:41:38... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mschwage
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a shell script in background and wait using "wait" in while loop

Hi, I am facing a strange issue, when i call a script from my while loop in background it doesnt go in background, despite the wait i put below the whil loop it goes forward even before the process put in background is completed. cat abc.txt | while read -u4 line do #if line contains #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
2 Replies
GETITIMER(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						      GETITIMER(2)

NAME
getitimer, setitimer - get or set value of an interval timer SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/time.h> int getitimer(int which, struct itimerval *value); int setitimer(int which, const struct itimerval *value, struct itimerval *ovalue); DESCRIPTION
The system provides each process with three interval timers, each decrementing in a distinct time domain. When any timer expires, a signal is sent to the process, and the timer (potentially) restarts. ITIMER_REAL decrements in real time, and delivers SIGALRM upon expiration. ITIMER_VIRTUAL decrements only when the process is executing, and delivers SIGVTALRM upon expiration. ITIMER_PROF decrements both when the process executes and when the system is executing on behalf of the process. Coupled with ITIMER_VIRTUAL, this timer is usually used to profile the time spent by the application in user and kernel space. SIGPROF is delivered upon expiration. Timer values are defined by the following structures: struct itimerval { struct timeval it_interval; /* next value */ struct timeval it_value; /* current value */ }; struct timeval { long tv_sec; /* seconds */ long tv_usec; /* microseconds */ }; The function getitimer fills the structure indicated by value with the current setting for the timer indicated by which (one of ITIMER_REAL, ITIMER_VIRTUAL, or ITIMER_PROF). The element it_value is set to the amount of time remaining on the timer, or zero if the timer is disabled. Similarly, it_interval is set to the reset value. The function setitimer sets the indicated timer to the value in value. If ovalue is nonzero, the old value of the timer is stored there. Timers decrement from it_value to zero, generate a signal, and reset to it_interval. A timer which is set to zero (it_value is zero or the timer expires and it_interval is zero) stops. Both tv_sec and tv_usec are significant in determining the duration of a timer. Timers will never expire before the requested time, instead expiring some short, constant time afterwards, dependent on the system timer resolution (currently 10ms). Upon expiration, a signal will be generated and the timer reset. If the timer expires while the process is active (always true for ITIMER_VIRT) the signal will be delivered immediately when generated. Otherwise the delivery will be offset by a small time dependent on the system loading. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EFAULT value or ovalue are not valid pointers. EINVAL which is not one of ITIMER_REAL, ITIMER_VIRT, or ITIMER_PROF. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.4BSD (This call first appeared in 4.2BSD). SEE ALSO
gettimeofday(2), sigaction(2), signal(2) BUGS
Under Linux, the generation and delivery of a signal are distinct, and there each signal is permitted only one outstanding event. It's therefore conceivable that under pathologically heavy loading, ITIMER_REAL will expire before the signal from a previous expiration has been delivered. The second signal in such an event will be lost. Linux 0.99.11 1993-08-05 GETITIMER(2)